none
AutoCAD & Windows

General discussion

• Being an IT administrator for a small engineering firm, the one thing that disappoints me the most with Windows 7 (and Vista for that matter) is the lack of support for the older versions of AutocAD. Being the software is so damn expensive to begin with, financially it makes more sense to hold out on upgrading the operating systems  then to shell out a couple grand to upgrade our AutoCAD versions. No support for up to AutocAD 2006, a patch was issued for 2007 (which still is buggy as heck). 2008 is decent, stable at least.

For those of you wanting to install older versions of AutoCAD, only 2008 & 2009 work.
    tbone1031
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:18 AM

All replies

• Your best bet is to upgrade to Acad 2009.  It works perfectly on Vista 64 and Windows 7 64.
    As you already know v2006 is no longer supported and v2007 won't be far behind.
    The new features and ease of use in v2009 is well worth the upgrade.

Robyn
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Hi I am using Win7 Beta with Autocad MEP 2009 and AutoCAD constantly crashes...I cannot figure it out.  It crashes if I try to activate a dialog box, it crashes when I try to select objects before initiating a command.  It seems to work for a while if I choose a tool then select objects.  However, it will not let me open a file using the open command, save using the save as command, anything requiring a dialog box.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 1:02 PM
  • I posted the following two entries in the "Performance" section and others seem to be experiencing similar issues. I just found this AutoCAD thread and thought it may be applicable as well.

Other area link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/598fe2b4-844d-412d-b195-5fa53dc62661#page:3

Post 1 
    I too experience periodic complete system hangs. Mine typically occurs when in AutoCAD 2009 and doing "File/Open" to access a new drawing. As soon as Windows Explorer opens to navigate the system hangs. No peripherals and no CTL+ALT+DEL. The started occurring immediately after the 02/24/2009 updates were applied, but as I said before does not happen consistently except for the fact that it is usually when I already have a drawing open and am XREF'ing or opening a new drawing. I have submitted several feedback messages.

As far as errors, I have almost no alerts or errors in event viewer and do not receive any onscreen notifications after the hard boot.

Michael

Post 2
    Thanks for the responses. I have monitored the memory usage of CAD and have the resource monitor running 99% of the time on my second screen as this is a beta test and understand that info is the key. However, even with the monitor running once the hangup takes place the monitor also freezes, so I cannot see another instance of explorer starting or anything of that nature. As I stated in the previous post the system ran flawlessly coincidentally?... before the updates. It also seems apparent to me that most of the people experiencing the issue are related to explorer.exe, but I do also agree with previous posters that it could totally be hard drive drivers. Below are my system specs which you will see are a little different than what a typical or home user would have.

Dell Precision Workstation T7400
    Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5420 @ 2.5ghz
    8GB PC2-5300 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512MB Video
    Dual 73GB SAS in RAID 0

Also let me say that I am very happy with Windows 7 thus far and hope that they are able to bump up the release date. I am a Systems administrator with about 60 client machines and 6 servers which is not big by any means, but I bet I face 90% of the same challenges as larger businesses and a large portion of them could be alleviated by moving from XP to Windows 7.

And yes MarineBio the problem at this point is the inability to recover from the hangup or receive any error reports that could help us figure out why we are hanging up in the first place.

Michael
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:44 PM
  • I just experienced the complete system freeze I mentioned above while doing a "Save As". It is so disappointing because this is the only bug of any consequence that I have encountered.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:55 PM
  • I have been copying my Autocad 14 program from old laptop to new laptop for many years now.  The original installation disks (a dozen 3.5 inch floppies - no CD drives back then!) were lost long ago, but I learned what to do to get things to turn on with a new machine.  Everything worked easily throught Win XP, but yesterday I got a new Win 7 (32-bit system) machine and things got harder.  After several hours of online research and trial/error (I am *really* tired of the error beep now !), it now seems to work.

Here is the recipe I have used over the years:

For Windows versions through XP:
    1.  Copy the entire ACAD14 installation from your old machine to the new one.
    2.  Find the files GDIFONT.HDI and HEIDI3.DLL and copy them to your C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM file.
    3.  Find your ACAD.EXE file, right click, and send to desktop to create your desktop shortcut.
    4.  Clicking on the shortcut should give you the drawing screen.  Use config to reset drawing preferences, which don't seem to copy over (don't know why).

For Win 7, the above installation would hang with a fatal "heap error" message, aborting the program.
    Next steps:  right click on the acad14 icon, go down to Properties, and then to Compatibility.  Hit "Change settings for all users", then put the "Run program in compatibility mode for:" Windows XP (Service Pack 3).  Next, check mark the setting "Disable desktop composition".  Hit "Apply" and then "OK", back to the desktop. 

The icon now works on my machine (HP E6500).  But I am not sure if the recipe will work on all Win 7 machines.  Perhaps you will need more trial/error to find exactly the right compatibility settings.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:08 PM
  • I have Autocad 2009 and it works on my machine OK.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:38 AM
  • Did you ever get a solution for this problem?
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Sadly, no I did not. But in my research with Windows 7 Pro there is a "XP Mode" which may get it to run properly. I have not gotten the approval to purchase Windows 7 64 bit as of yet but when I do I will repost my findings.
    tbone1031
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:59 AM
  • I have since been able to get my company to purchase a subscription and moved to 2010. No problems since. Even the GUI customization bugs are gone.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:22 PM
  • I installed Autocad14 in Windows7 as follows, and it works just fine.

1. Install VirtualBox by Oracle http://www.virtualbox.org/

2. Find an old Windows installation disc, preferably WindowsXP

3. Read the documentation on VirtualBox berore proceeding.  This will take you an hour or so.

4. Install the old version of windows a guest in Virtual Box.

5.  Ste up file sharing between the guest and the host.

6.  Install AutoCad14 from its installation disc into the guest--WindowsXP

Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:33 PM