none
Removing Windows 7/ System Restore back to vista. Help please.

Question

• So i wanted to check out windows 7 for a few days and yeah, it's cool but i thought i could go back to my previous OS easy. I guess not. So I got a Compaq Vista laptop and I go press F11 at start up so I can system restore, its unresponsive. I searched restore and i found a restore7.exe and opened that and It gave me the option to have factory default settings back but then it crashed and said some file was not found. So I have no idea how to get rid of the Beta. I just want my Vista back, what can I do?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:25 PM

Answers

• If your recovery files and cabs were on a seperate partition and you somehow deleted it, then you are screwed as far as that option is concerned.
    You SHOULD have been supplied with at least an OEM copy of Windows Vista when you bought your laptop. HP usually always brands it and includes drivers on it as well.
    It may NOT say recovery CD, but if you have a copy of Vista, it is more than likely either going to clone an image onto your hard drive exactly as it came from the factory, or you will have drivers on the CD or a separate CD to install after you reinstall Vista.
    DON'T FORGET TO COPY ANY DATA, PICS, DOCUMENTS, ETC AND SAVE THEM TO AN EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE!
    Usually the OEM CD's, will reformat your hard drive and any thing stored will be lost. If you have no discs, then your second option is:
    CALL HP/COMPAQ technical support and request or buy a recovery CD. Simple.THEY HAVE THEM!
    They are famous for them... because they have so many folks that screw up their machines...like installing beta software without knowing the risks.

Next time READ and UNDERSTAND what testing beta software is all about. There are NO guarantees and no tech support options other than forums like these.
    And that goes for ANY software developer, not just Microsoft.
    Operating system softwares are very complex and for the most part, buggy as hell in even the public beta stages.
    Windows 7 as I come to find out, Is a rare exception. If installed on proper hardware, it installs quite easily and performs like a champ.

• Proposed as answer by LPHAtlanta Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:40 AM
    • Edited by LPHAtlanta Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:59 AM addition
    • Marked as answer by Joe ShonkEditor Friday, January 16, 2009 4:03 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:40 AM

All replies

• If you formated your HD and removed the recovery partion from your HD when installing Windows 7, and you never made the recovery DVD that the manufacture allows. 
    The best solution will be to contact them for a set of recovery DVDs for your system. 

Though you will probabbly have to pay a few $ for the media & shipping.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I never removed anything. All i did was install windows 7 from the disc. I just can't believe microsoft didn't have in there FAQ: "Can I remove Windows 7 Beta and revert back to my old OS any time?" NOPE..This is the last time I'm ever doing betas for microsoft.

Thanks for your help anyway dude.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:50 PM
  •  Also if this helps, there is no way to reverse back to a previous windows version once you upgraded to Windows 7. I believe there were several warnings about it.

I don't know how exactly you installed Windows 7. Did you insert the cd and click UPGRADE or did you do a clean/fresh install by deleteing the Vista parition and creating one for Windows 7?

Lastly, every pc mfg is different, sometimes when you get a computer all of the cds (operating system, drivers, ect) come with the computer and other times they have the backup creating on another partion of the drive (If you go into Computer and then see another drive after other than C: that is part of the hard drive.)

Keep in mind that you will have to put all of your personal files like documents, music, and whatever else and put in on a cd or thumbdrive so that you don't lose it.

I hope this helps.

dreinert
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I clicked upgrade. I received no warnings about this. I will be forced to purchase a new computer at best buy thanks to this in august. Just great. And HP's website...You can't find anything there. I tried to order a Factory Settings System restore disc, but the links are all screwy and take you to the wrong place.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:56 PM
  • If your recovery files and cabs were on a seperate partition and you somehow deleted it, then you are screwed as far as that option is concerned.
    You SHOULD have been supplied with at least an OEM copy of Windows Vista when you bought your laptop. HP usually always brands it and includes drivers on it as well.
    It may NOT say recovery CD, but if you have a copy of Vista, it is more than likely either going to clone an image onto your hard drive exactly as it came from the factory, or you will have drivers on the CD or a separate CD to install after you reinstall Vista.
    DON'T FORGET TO COPY ANY DATA, PICS, DOCUMENTS, ETC AND SAVE THEM TO AN EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE!
    Usually the OEM CD's, will reformat your hard drive and any thing stored will be lost. If you have no discs, then your second option is:
    CALL HP/COMPAQ technical support and request or buy a recovery CD. Simple.THEY HAVE THEM!
    They are famous for them... because they have so many folks that screw up their machines...like installing beta software without knowing the risks.

Next time READ and UNDERSTAND what testing beta software is all about. There are NO guarantees and no tech support options other than forums like these.
    And that goes for ANY software developer, not just Microsoft.
    Operating system softwares are very complex and for the most part, buggy as hell in even the public beta stages.
    Windows 7 as I come to find out, Is a rare exception. If installed on proper hardware, it installs quite easily and performs like a champ.

• Proposed as answer by LPHAtlanta Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:40 AM
    • Edited by LPHAtlanta Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:59 AM addition
    • Marked as answer by Joe ShonkEditor Friday, January 16, 2009 4:03 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:40 AM
  • You can call HP and tell them you had to replace your hard drive and need a system restore disk for your computer. My niece had to do this and they got the disk to her pretty fast.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:50 AM
  • "This is the last time I'm ever doing betas for microsoft." Are you saying this is Microsoft's fault? If you are, then wow, seriously, wow. Do you not know what Beta means. It stands for unpolished, unfinished, and testing purposes only software. That fact that you put the Beta on your machine without fully understand what to do is your fault, not Microsoft's. I knew that I wanted to try Windows 7 but didn't want to replace Vista completely (like you did), so I simply installed the Beta on a virtual machine. Quick, easy, and simple to remove.

"I will be forced to purchase a new computer at best buy thanks to this in august." Because of a simple OS issue your going to shell out a few hundred more dollars on a new machine? Vista recovery DVDs can typically be ordered for around $20 as a worst case scenario. If you seriously didn't know what you were doing then you shouldn't have installed the Beta software.
    • Proposed as answer by Edbert Friday, January 16, 2009 5:00 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:50 AM
  • You will need to get a hold of the System Recovery disk for you system in order to go back to Vista.  Remember this is a Beta product and not a shipping product,  there will be bugs.  For further information about the Beta Installation please see this page.

Joe
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Rafael7272 said:

NOPE..This is the last time I'm ever doing betas for microsoft.

Definitely not Microsoft's fault you did not make sure you were ready to "TEST" Windows 7 "BETA" out. They clearly state to make sure you are not using this on a computer you are using other than for testing purposes numerous times. Even though I am using my main gaming computer I am prepared with backups of everything I may need to get me back to Vista with no issues. I have Windows 7 loaded on a old IDE HDD so I did not need to install over top of Vista or any of my other hard drives.

Now, if you did not partition your hard drive any and just did an upgrade then you should still have your recovery partition on your hard drive from Compaq. What you may need to do though is format that partition ONLY and then try using the recovery console of your computer. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT FORMAT THE RECOVERY CONSOLE, it may be labelled as D: and it should not be as big in size as your main partition.
    Also make sure you are using the recovery console of your computer correctly, sometimes you need to hit CTRL-F11 to enter into the "FULL" recovery console for you Compaq. Yours probably is different than my buddies Compaq but his was that way, would not hurt for you to try anyway. Not just F11.
    If that fails then I guess you did wipe your recovery partition out and you would then need to contact HP/Compaq for new recovery disk which will cost some money.

EDIT:
    You can use the Windows 7 Beta disk to format the partition where Windows 7 is located. Once the format is done you can remove the Windows 7 Beta Disk and then restart the computer and try to enter into the recovery console.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Rafael7272 said:

I never removed anything. All i did was install windows 7 from the disc. I just can't believe microsoft didn't have in there FAQ: "Can I remove Windows 7 Beta and revert back to my old OS any time?" NOPE..This is the last time I'm ever doing betas for microsoft.

Thanks for your help anyway dude.

do you really think your situation is microsoft's fault?
    i think not...
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:31 AM