crcdisk.sys - will not boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I know that a lot of people have also experienced this problem...

I have a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad t43 with Vista Ultimate installed (upgrade from XP Pro).  Today, when i turned on my computer, it would not boot properly.  I tried again in safe mode and it hangs at "crcdisk.sys". 

Short of reformatting the computer, what are some common solutions (with or without needing the Vista DVD)?

Are there any thinkpad specific solutions? 

Its very troubling because I have very important files on that computer!

Cheers,

Will C
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:27 AM

All replies

•  

I have the same issue seemingly due to replacing a bad motherboard (with an exact same model) on a desktop. Excuse me, but I have to ask, have you tried booting to the Vista disc and running 'repair' and/or the new

rescue environment "RE" or a system restore? Those are options I'm working with but no success for three days now.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:39 PM
  •  

MY SOLUTION:

Remove 2G of the 4G memory. I remember when I installed Vista, the installation would balk with 4G RAM.

When I removed a couple sticks, it did fine. After the system stablized, I added the other two gigs. Three weeks and a lightening strike later, and since replacing the mb, for some undocumented reason, it hung up-so I did 6 repairs from the vista disc, always hanging on crcdisk.sys  -- as soon as I pulled the 2G RAM, it booted Normally. I'm seeing some 'found new hardware' so I think my main problem is resolved.

Ah, but if it were that simple. Really needed to flash the BIOS as most every new motherboard purchased is "Vista" compatible, but only if you download from the manufacturer's site the correct BIOS update. It goes for the rest of the hardware, too.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:29 PM