none
Boot manager is missing or corrupt

Question

• Auggh, this is making me want to pull my hair out.

Vista completely crashed on me today, this is the second day I've had my new laptop and the OS already crashed.
    It crashed when I started it up, and all of last night I had been installing updates from Windows Update.

I'm going to spare you a long story, because I've been trying to fix this for the past 12 hours.  But I've done a startup repair from my Vista Home Premium disk and have found this error which it claims is the root of the problem.

Code Snippet

Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    Boot manager is missing or corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x15
    Time taken = 0 ms

Now I need to know how to fix this.  It won't let me install Vista again, blocked by a "0x0000005C" error, and really I got this message with luck on my side because it usually crashes with a "0x0000008E" error when I hit the "Repair" button.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:17 AM

Answers

•  

Hi LegendaryGIR,

Thank you for the post.

I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore ============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:28 AM

All replies

• Contact the manufacturer of your new laptop for technical support assistance.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:22 AM
  •  

Hi LegendaryGIR,

Thank you for the post.

I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore ============================================

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:28 AM
  • try this

Boot from DVD -> setup recov. -> command prompt

<bootdrive>\windows\setup\scripts\bootinst.exe /nt60 all

should fix the bootmngr

Goodluck

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:15 AM
  • I rebuilt my BCD and that did the trick.  I was able to reinstall Vista.  I've lost most everything I had on the hard drive before the reinstall but I had only had it for a day, so I'm not missing much.

Thanks so much for all your help, guys.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:13 AM
  •  

Hi LegendaryGIR,

Thank you for the reply.

I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Now I will mark this thread as “Answered”.

If you have other Vista issues in the future, please feel free to post new threads.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:13 AM
  • I had something similar but afterwards i tried stupidly as most people do to fix it themselves and formated my hard drive. Now i only have my windows cd. My blank harddrives. And a weird drive which seems to have alot of windows stuff possibly recovery stuff called drive X:. It also wont let me install. I tried hitting install but it just says to install the os in windows.
    help is desperetely needed.
    thank you.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:31 AM
  • The post by Tim Quan that was marked as the solution was what did it for me.  Also, after I finally got Vista installed I switched out the two stock memory sticks for 2 gig ones I found on memorydirect.com.  After the memory replacement, I've had no blue screens.  If you get errors, try getting new memory.  Maybe it'll help.

But I definitely suggest you try rebuilding your bcd, that's what finally kicked me into gear.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:10 PM
  • mine i need some additonal help because mine shows no windows instalations when i have the select drive. So i need something like a harddrive file or something because that option is there.i have seagate harddrives but whenever i try and load  a driver or setup file it wont let me look into the cd when clicking on it.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:55 PM
  • I have the same problem.I am  dual booting.Vista HomePremium and Windows 7 Home premium.

I can boot into 7.Win 7 is the default in Boot Manager.

I can not boot into Vista.I get error:

File\windows\system\32\winload exe.

Staus QxcooooooF

The selected entry could  not be loaded because the applicatiomn is missing or corrupt.

Previously the last thing I did before the eror was to install Cupid.I uninstalled it and restored tro previous restore point,no luck.I also did a repair.If I do a whole repair,will I loose all my files?

I do not think a repair will do it.My Boot File is corrupt.

If I run the Cmd you gave in your post will this restore Vista Boot record.If it does will windows 7 still boot?
    I ask that becayuse Vista has to be installed 1st and then 7??

Thank You in advance

Doug
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:55 AM
  • I should try repairing the Boot File from Windows 7??Even though Win 7 Boots fine?
    It is Vista that I  can not get into.
    I appreciate your answer and do not mean to distrust your answer.
    Just checking,I would hate to not be able to boot into either Operating System??

Thanks ASgain.I will try it as soon as I hear from you.

Peace
    Doug
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Hi Tim - what do you do if no drive or OS is shown in the Systems Recovery Options dialogue box?

Thanks
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Download, install and configure EasyBCD

Windows Boot Entry Manager – EasyBCD (video)

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Hi Carey,

Thanks for this.

Where do I install this? My laptop is currently not booting up so can't install anything.

Thanks,
    T

PS: I have tried changing the hard drive but this made no difference.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:05 AM
  • "what do you do if no drive or OS is shown in the Systems Recovery Options dialogue box?"
    Press F6 and load drivers for disk controller(s).  They can be on a USB drive.  If this is your only computer, and you do not have access to another, you will have to talk to the computers manufacturer.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:35 PM
  •  Hi,

F6 doesn't work on my notebook (I have an ASUS F5R). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    T
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:08 AM
  •  Hi,

F6 doesn't work on my notebook (I have an ASUS F5R). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    T

According to the F5 Hardware User's Manual for English Edtion, available from ASUSTek, F6 is the colored "hot" key with the "Open Sun Icon", which is used with the blue Fn key to increase display brightness.  By itself, it should work as F6.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:07 PM
  • um hey i noticed how u manged to help legendarygir and im having the same problems but with the installing of windows 7 we cant seem to install it cuz because of the missing bootmanager so can please get back to me as soon as possibe its getting extremely fustrating like legend said please help thank you
    • Proposed as answer by jinren Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jinren Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:21 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Same thing with mine!

Problem Signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 03: unknown
    Problem Signature 04: -1
    Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature 06: 1
    Problem Signature 07: MissingBootManager
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID:

Read out privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline.
    X:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.text

Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:47 PM