none
Upgrading 100s of PC's from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to find the most efficient way of upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 7 Enterprise. 

I have all the correct licenses and keys and agreements and what not for the Enterprise but I have a VERY large number of machines that I need to do this on. I know that one option is a clean install. This is not practical due to time constraints as well as the issues of maintaining data and settings.

Another option I have found is the whole changing professional to enterprise in the registry editor and then doing a repair install with an enterprise repair disk. I have tested this and it did work, preserving data and settings. However it still took 4+ hours. I am hoping there is a way to cut this time down.

I have also seen in my travels through google a "Windows Anytime Upgrade". My questions regarding this then are, does it work to upgrade professional to enterprise? How long would it take time wise (if it is possible)? And does it preserve data on the computer?

Or are there any other options that I am unaware of?

And finally, if Windows Anytime Upgrade does not work for this, and there is no way to cut down the runtime of the repair install, is that something I could write a script to perform the whole thing for me?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:37 PM

Answers

• The only "MSFT supported" method, is a clean install.

Editing registry etc is not MSFT supported. This method can result in latent configuration problems, you might only discover much later.

Anytime Upgrade does not provide a pathway to Enterprise edition.

MDT or Configuration Manager, can be used to perform "User State Migration" (via USMT), which can migrate user profiles/data/settings in many scenarios including this scenario. There is a dedicated TechNet forum for MDT and several dedicated forums for ConfigMgr.

MDT is essentially a bunch of scripts, with a "Task Sequencing engine" and is a great framework to construct your own customised deployment engine/mechanism/logic.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:46 PM

All replies

• The only "MSFT supported" method, is a clean install.

Editing registry etc is not MSFT supported. This method can result in latent configuration problems, you might only discover much later.

Anytime Upgrade does not provide a pathway to Enterprise edition.

MDT or Configuration Manager, can be used to perform "User State Migration" (via USMT), which can migrate user profiles/data/settings in many scenarios including this scenario. There is a dedicated TechNet forum for MDT and several dedicated forums for ConfigMgr.

MDT is essentially a bunch of scripts, with a "Task Sequencing engine" and is a great framework to construct your own customised deployment engine/mechanism/logic.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:46 PM
  • Hi,

the only way for upgrade Windows 7 pro to Windows 7 enterpriseis through volume licensing contract with Windows 8.1 Enterprise upgrade licenses for all devices than you can downgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise through VLSC.

thanks

diramoh

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:24 AM
  • I would definately recommend i clean install. I would begin to mess around with regedit.

You could look into creating an Image installation depending on your setup. This would allow you to upgrade all your pc's at once or at least in batches.

Friday, May 8, 2015 10:43 AM