none
Virtual XP can ping host but cannot access host resources via workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and have installed the Virtual XP mode.  A long time ago Virtual XP was fully running, with access to host resources (drives etc).  But my system underwent some software changes, and then Virtual XP could no longer access the host resources.  After trying (unsuccessfully) all the tricks found on several forums, I decided to uninstall then reinstall Virtual XP, which I have just done.  But I still can't access host drives.  Here's how Virtual XP is set up:

Workgroup name is set to the same as my host (confirmed in 'My Computer'/Properties/Name);

Networking 'Adapter 1' set to my host's NIC;  I have assigned a fixed IP address to the Virtual XP (this has worked previously; all devices on my Win7 network have fixed addresses, for good reason).

Integration Features has ticks in the boxes for those host drives I want to access from VXP.

I can successfully ping the host, via name or IP address;  I can successfully ping web sites by name (e.g. 'yahoo.com').  But when I open Windows Explorer and open the 'My Network Places' tree, it opens down to the name of my host workgroup, but when I click on that workgroup name, after several seconds it pops up an error box saying: "<workgroupname> is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  <blah blah>.  The service has not been started."

Any suggestions on how to get access to my host drives?

Thanks, Daniel

• Edited by DanielFFF Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:15 AM typos
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I didn't found any related information about it in Microsoft official documents. Also, I will continue to research and text in the future.
    If we have any updates about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated.  

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 28, 2019 7:31 AM