none
Windows Update: Windows could not search for new updates

Question

• Windows Update fails on Visa.  It says "Windows could not search for new updates.  Error(s) found:  Code 80244019."  I have searched on the error code and can't find anything.  This machine is a member of a domain and has never been able to do Windows Updates.  Has anyone ran into this before?

Brew

Friday, June 30, 2006 12:25 PM

All replies

• I'm experiencing the same problem, but do not have any solution.

• Proposed as answer by bevz Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:45 PM
    Monday, July 10, 2006 7:13 PM
  • I was experiencing this problem when using GPO to Windows Update through SUS Server. After I disabled this GPO setting I was able to download.
    • Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:13 AM
    Friday, July 14, 2006 5:57 PM
  • Using Vistal Ultimate, build 5552, I had the same problem. By disabling GPO setting fixed it too for me...

I wonder if the new WUS 3.0 will take into consideration the vista builds, or if it is fixed in the RC1 of Visa.

Monday, September 04, 2006 3:15 PM
  • What is the gpo setting? how can I disable?...

thanks

• Proposed as answer by RickStanley Monday, August 08, 2011 6:15 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2006 10:41 AM
  • GPO it´s from Group Policy Object. If you Windows Vista is part of a Active Directory (AD) forest, you you probally have a GPO forcing your Vista to request all updates from a SUS/WSUS server on your network. To disable it you will need do this on AD, if you have credentials for it, if not you will need to request this to AD administrator of you network.

About support for Vista on WSUS 3.0, it is already available on SP of current WSUS (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/evaluation/SP1overview.mspx) and yes, it still available on WSUS 3.0 when finished, now during the beta of WSUS 3.0, it will be release simultaneously - I probally mispelled this las word :-( -  to Vista RC1...

Enjoy !

Felicio Santos.

• Proposed as answer by JonBecher Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:04 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2006 1:08 AM
  • My IT guy and I tried to follow directions to disable this, however even with the best directions, we were unable to in vista.  Is there any way you could post clear directions to disable the gpo?

thanks

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:14 PM
  • How to edit the GPO that disable " specify intranet Microsoft update service location"

1.Run mmc->File->Add/Remove Snap-in->Find "Group Policy Object Editor"->Add->Local machine->Finish->OK

2.Set the Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update "specify intranet Microsoft update service location" as not configured.

3.Update again.

4.OK, the issue should be resolved.

ScreenShot

Have a good day!

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:38 AM
  • I tried this and it still will not let me update.
    • Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:09 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:25 PM
  • At risk of a "me too" response... "Me Too!!"

I tried the same instructions and still no luck. I haven't tried a re-boot yet but will.
    I'm running Vista Business on several machines and so far just 1 has the no update issue. I have had tons of other issues with BSOD's and random lockups. I've got the nvidia chipset (570 SLI) from ASUS that seems to have the nvidia firewall issue. I've tried and tried to get rid of it and I think I finally did, except now it shows I have "Tiny Personal Firewall" which I don't want either... Sigh...

Randy
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:30 PM
  • error code 80244019
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:51 PM
  • I have the same issue with the Vista being unable to update.

Scenario:

Windows 2000 Domain, Active Directory, Exchange

Windows Vista Business.

I get the error message 80244019 when i try to do any kind of microsft update.

I dont have any SUS server onsite and all other computers are receiving their updates staight from microsoft.

I tried the advice given here, but it's no help.

Did anyone short out this problem yet?

Please help...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:08 AM
  • I tried many of the suggestions posted here in order to get Windows update to work but to no avail. What finally worked was deleting the registry key that is created when Vista is added to a domain that looks for the WSUS server.

The key to delete is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate.

Restart and this should work.

Thanks to Steve C.

http://geekswithblogs.net/steveclements/archive/2007/04/18/Vista-Windows-Update-not-working-on-a-domain.aspx 

• Proposed as answer by soul_rebel Friday, September 25, 2009 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:31 PM
  • I have this problem too. I tried to update from the web and was prompted to download and Active X in order to download updates. I think the Active X destroyed Vista's ability to per form the update properly.  I'm going to look in Windows Defender to see if I can force a fix.  Good luck with Windows ME2 (aka Vista)

Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:06 PM
  • My error is slightly different.... "Windows coult not search for new updates.  error code 80004002," but same deal.  Initial connection to get updates downloaded an Active X component, and since then this silly error.

I am one of the Sys Admins for the domain and have hunted through the GPO settings on the DCs and no joy.  We are not using automated deployment means for updates so...

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:16 PM
  • I have vista home premium and get the same thing except with error code 8000FFFF.  I have been unable to find any information or help and have been unable to update since early July.  Updates always worked before this time.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:43 PM
  • I have Vista Home Premium and get error code 8000FFFF "Windows could not search for new updates."  This started just a few weeks ago.  I have been unable to find any information or help.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:45 PM
  • me too ... and still haven't found anything .. the solutions given to stop update, clear log and restart update simply does not work

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Same here....same error message now for about a month and a half.

My computer will not update anything at all from Microsoft.

An HP service chat guy tried to resolve it to no avail.

Microsoft is such a screwed up company.

I'm going to take this POS back and buy an Apple.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:58 AM
  • good news!!! After pulling all my hair out, I finally got a hold of someone at microsoft security.  He was able to give me a patch or download that put a link on my windows update window to search directly from the update website and bypass the sus/wsus issue.  Once I got that link it I just click that and I have no issues. 

Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:21 AM
  • Could you send me the link to bypass the issue with windows update.

Thanks

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Can you please post the link for us all?  Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:33 PM
  • can i get the link too? thanks.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Can you send me the link please?

Thank you!
    Monday, August 27, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I had this error - I got hold of MS and someone to help me with it. After two weeks of trying everything we could think of the gal told me one last thing to try and if that didn't work then to reformat the drive and re-install Vista. The last idea did not work and I had to reformat to get my new computer back.

Good luck.

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:34 PM
  • Well, I was also suffering this problem - I've cured it (for now).

I had Windows UAC disabled because I don't need the annoying "are you sure" popups ALL THE TIME because I actually know how to use a computer... but anyway, with this disabled it would never update! I'm not on a domain so GPO isn't the cause for me. Re-enabling UAC has fixed the problem.  This is on a fresh install of Vista Ultimate.  I shall disable UAC once the updates have gone through and see if it will still update - it might have been a bug addressed in an early Vista patch.  I shall post back once I've tried it!
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Ok, installed updates, and disabled UAC again and... it seems to be working now!

Might be worth a try for other people with fresh(ish) installs of Vista who are suffering the same problem.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Can you please send me the link. Same problem.

Thankyou.

Monday, September 03, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Would you please send the patch to me?  I am having the same problem.  Thanks.
    Monday, September 03, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Please send me the same link as I am having the same error message pop up.  I just bought a laptop with Vista premium pre-installed, and as I logged in to get the Microsoft updates, this error came up.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Hello,

Could you please send me the link as well.  I've been having the same problem with windows updates as mentioned.

Thanks.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Anyone figured out the problem with update error 8004002? I dont understand why its doing this. I have recently did a restore on my computer. My guess is that the computer backup'd some files it shouldnt have. Ive got more folders then i originally did in my main hard drive after the restore. I used a registry to disable the UAC off/on. And now it wont show up. That was before the restore and i believe it saved the folder with the settings i uset to have. -.- seems idiotic to keep bad files from a restore. But w/e. I have UAC enabled and now im still getting the error. Error code: 80004002. Try again. Does nothing. Anyone got any input?

Monday, September 10, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Can you please send me that link also? I have been going crazy over this.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Hi! Would be really grateful for the link as I've been tearing my hair out over this for a over a week. My e-m is: paulj2001@aol.com. Thank you!

Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:08 AM
  •  

I had Windows update error code 80096010 after rebuild. I couldn't find anything online with that error code, then I tried other available suggestion online but nothing worked. I started fiddling around with the Windows features. I turned on ActiveX Installer Service, and .NET Environment. I don't know if it was conincident, Windows Update started downloading.

I had no idea what I did, but it is running now.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Windows Update error 80070002

If you receive Windows Update error 80070002 while checking for updates, you need to remove the temporary update files that Windows uses to identify updates for your computer. To remove the temporary files, stop the Windows Update service, delete the temporary update files, restart the Windows Update service, and then try to check for Windows updates again.

Stop the Windows Update service

Delete temporary update files

1. Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.

2. Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

3. Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Restart the Windows Update service

If the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, see this Knowledge Base article on the Microsoft Help and Support website or go to the Windows Update Support Center website to request support by e‑mail.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 6:29 PM
  • OK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT I AM NOT CONNECTED TO ANY NETWORK THIS IS MY HOME PC I AM RUNNING VISTA HOME BASIC I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO I AM SO FRUSTRATED BY THIS

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:04 AM
  • I am having the same problem. Initially, I was unable to install important updates, then I followed the help instructions to remove all the update information, now I get error 80070002 "Windows could not search for new updates"

If anyone has a patch or link to fix this, please help.

Thanks

Saturday, October 06, 2007 8:43 PM

• Hi, sorry to hear about your problem! I had a similar one for about 3 weeks, error 0x800B0100 I believe and I couldn't find an answer anywhere; I tried various suggestions and MS knowledge bases, etc, but to no avail. I was seriously thinking giving up computers for life when I decided to go for bust and format the hard drive. I did this using Killdisk then reinstalled Windows Vista and, lo and behold, I'm updating again! I know it seems drastic but as lng as you back-up your important documents/files, it gives the PC a good spring-clean too! Hope this helps a bit.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 12:20 AM
  •  

Could you send me that link too?
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:30 AM
  •  

Same for me, I'm behind some whatever firewall, I can access to http://windowsupdate..., but I always get: "Windows could not search for new updates" from within Vista, with error 80244019 :-(

I cannot simply wait for sp1 to come, I need to update my system, can you forward me the link please ??

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Yeah i hear about some people getting forwarded the link to update straight from MS. Where is that and why isnt a live link to the updates posted somewhere? Ive been waiting for months for a solution but my computer still can not update. I'd really appreciate any help. Ive tried the tips told and nothing works. =(

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:34 AM
  • have you got the link for the 80070002 error.i ve done all the microsoft instructions.please any help  would be nice

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:34 PM
  • if you have the link tell because i have tha same problem 2 months now

thanks

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:51 PM
  • I followed the procedure below, and once the group policy changes took effect locally (it took about 2 minutes), I was able to update just fine. Thanks, Tommy_H, for the excellent solution.

Tommy_H wrote:

How to edit the GPO that disable " specify intranet Microsoft update service location"

1.Run mmc->File->Add/Remove Snap-in->Find "Group Policy Object Editor"->Add->Local machine->Finish->OK

2.Set the Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update "specify intranet Microsoft update service location" as not configured.

3.Update again.

4.OK, the issue should be resolved.

ScreenShot

Have a good day!

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:45 PM
  •  

Error(s) Found: Code 80244019 when trying to run Windows Update in Windows Vista indicates a problem in connecting to Windows Update Server. As a initial check, check if you are having connectivity problems. Also, if there is a proxy server used in your Internet Explorer, try to disable the proxy and check if that helps. This may not work in some corporate environments. Please check with your network administrator in this case.

If all looks fine then this could be a problem in Windows Registry and you may have to make the following registry modifications:

1. Click Start - Run, type regedit and press enter.

2. Navigate to the following Registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
      \SOFTWARE
         \Policies
            \Microsoft
                \Windows
                    \WindowsUpdate
                        \AU

3. Once in, from the right-pane, change the value of the key

“UseWUServer”=dword:00000001

to

“UseWUServer”=dword:00000000

4. Reboot the Windows Vista PC and that should fix the problem.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:16 AM
  • Congratulations!   Good find.  Would you please send me that patch too?

ppage@comcast.net

Thanks!

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting the same error when I try to get updates on Windows Server 2008 instance.  Can you please let me know the location of this Registry Key as I am unable to locate this key in the mentioned location.

I am able to see the following key in that location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

THe following key are present in this location
    AUOptions
    DetectionFrequency
    DetectionFrequencyEnabled
    IncludeRecommendedUpdates
    NoAutoUpdate
    ScheduledInstallDay
    ScheduledInstallTime

Please advise me on how to enable my automatic updates and activate my Windows Server 2008 instance.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Subramanian

Thursday, July 03, 2008 6:53 AM
  • Hey Fran,

Could you please send me that patch too, I have the same problem, error code 8000FFFF.

Thank you very much!

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  

I spent like more that 3 months trying to install the vista sp1 update.I tried everything, Stoping windows update and deleting the windows softwaredistribution/datastore and download. I installed the standalone update for vista sp1, that only succeded in messing un my computer had to do a recovery. After the recovery I tried to install Sp1 on windows update and the error code 80244012 kept apearing.

I saw on one of these threads somebody metion something about internet security setting to fix the Windows Update error 80244012. So I disabled my antivirus and my firewall. I set the Internet security options(Internet explorer/tools/security/internet/to default medium) on Iternet  explorer to the lowest to wich medium is the lowest,

I started windows update and it began downloading the Sp1 update. After moths of headaches finally SUCCESS!!!
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Thanks zappme1

Worked like a charm for both Windows defender and Windows update service Windows Vista Dell Laptop Joined to  Active Directory

Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Would you please send me the link too?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:48 PM
  •  

Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:36 PM
  • This could have been very frustrating as none of the other setting changed suggested here were working. I got the updates working by switching off the windows firewall and lowering the internet security settings. I am in the process of getting all 81 available updates

Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:28 AM
  • I had the same problem, ie. err no. 80244019 when running windows update. This happens mostly because of a Trojan Virus.
    Code name; "Trojan.DNS-Changer (Hi-Jacked DNS) " 
    it affects your registry and when removed solves the problem nicely..!

Go to http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html  and download Superantispyware and run a full system scan. Make sure you've the latest definitions. Finally remove any spyware detected. Then restart your computer and run Windows Update. It should run perfectly. 
    worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by Ruffrider Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:26 PM
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Samething for me, downloaded superantispyware it found i had dns changer bug and its gone now updates fine and my AVG would it update either .

Thanks very much was thinking about a format you have saved me many hours

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:43 AM
  • ok look... I opened mmc n went to file... blah blah blah... but i did not find "Group Policy Object Editor" why can't i find it?? wut do i do now?? i still have the same problem and i am really getting anoyed by it... please sum1 help...!!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:52 AM
  • Norton 360 couldnt pick up.........I'm Amazed. Was a little worried about maybe it being a Virus or BLu screEN Virus or something. but i scanned it and it turned up positive.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:12 AM
  •  

Windows Vista Update 80244019

Download, install, run “simple scan” Malware removal from site below (malewarebytes.org).  Immediately after rebooting start “windows update” from the control panel . . . and upgrade to “Internet Explorer 8” upgrade via google.com search as well. 

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Don’t go through the three weeks it took me to figure this out. 

And if you’re charging people to fix their computer TEACH your customers how to “untangle the mess” on their own as a form of educational-reinvestment.

A most effective and easiest way to fix Windows Vista Update 80244019 caused by triggered by Trojan DNS changer changing virus worm

To get rid of 80244019 Windows Vista Update 80244019 caused by triggered by Trojan DNS changer changing virus worm

A most effective and easiest way to remove 80244019 Windows Vista Update 80244019 caused by triggered by Trojan DNS changer changing virus worm

A most effective and easiest way to Removal of 80244019 Windows Vista Update 80244019 caused by triggered by Trojan DNS changer changing worm

A most effective and easiest way to repair 80244019 Windows Vista Update 80244019 caused by triggered by Trojan DNS changer changing worm

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Fran,

Can you send me the link to the patch also?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:58 AM
  •  

Please please send me the patch.  I have been going round and round with Microsoft about this issue.  You can email me at kmoore2006@gmail.com

Any help is appreciated!!!

I have tried to update the WUS but cannot locate it under the regedit, also tried running the spyware detector to make sure...  That didn't work either. 

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:22 AM
  • My problem with error code 80244019 extended to most of my program updates, not only Microsoft Windows.  Included were Microsoft Defender, AVG Free, and more.  Superantispyware, after a full scan of all drives, reported "Trojan.DNS-Changer (Hi-Jacked DNS)" viruses and, with my prompt, removed them.  I can once again update these programs as I could before.  Oddly, removal of the viruses seemed to take several tries.  AVG and defender didn't report the problem.  Thank goodness I didn't have to go to exteme measures such as described in this thread.  I'm going to keep Superantispyware around for a while.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:11 AM
  • I do not have the register sections that you described but I do have the problem

with code problem 8000FFFF  Any help would be appreciated.

JC

Monday, December 08, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Hi there, thank you SO much Akyle_3000... this worked magically.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:27 PM
  • can you please send me the link thank
    Friday, December 19, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Can you send me the link too.  molina_mike@yahoo.com.

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by uvbogden Friday, January 02, 2009 7:29 PM
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Why doesn't someone POST the link instead of sending it upon individual request.  I'm reading this today and have the same problem with "can't search for updates" with Windows Update.  I have tried all the fixes suggested except this patch that just about everyone is talking about.  It doesn't seem to be spyware.  Please POST THE LINK so all of us reading this can benefit.  Thank you in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:20 AM
    Friday, January 02, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I tried all suggested "fixes" and finally had success, thanx to Akyle_3000 (November-04-08 2:37:36 PM), when I went to http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html, downloaded Superatnispyware and ran a full system scan.  It detected a Trojan Virus.
    I have not had an issue since and my computer continually SUCCESSFULLY searches and completes all updates.
    Friday, January 02, 2009 8:34 PM
  • fran, could you please send me that link...thank you so much. 
    • Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:19 AM
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 6:41 PM
  • I have the same problem and will try some of the solutions posted perviously. I just wanted to say this thread is a sad, sad commentary on Windows OS, no amount of Mojave advertising is going to change it. Could have had an Ubuntu ;)
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Patch? How do I get it? HELP
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I tried many of the suggestions posted here in order to get Windows update to work but to no avail. What finally worked was deleting the registry key that is created when Vista is added to a domain that looks for the WSUS server.

The key to delete is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate.

Restart and this should work.

Thanks to Steve C.

http://geekswithblogs.net/steveclements/archive/2007/04/18/Vista-Windows-Update-not-working-on-a-domain.aspx  

Hi, I had this problem, and this was the solution!

Thanks Again!

Jay
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:38 PM
  • This post might be unique to our situation, but I thought I would pass along the info in hopes that it might lead others to a solution

I am running Windows 7 and received the same error (80244019) one day while trying to run Windows Update.

I tried restarting the Windows Update services and scanning for viruses, but no luck.

I finally contacted my IT Admin.  He found the bug to be a typo in the local security policy specifying the intranet server for WUAU.  Once corrected he had me run "gpudate /force" from Start > Run to update the GPO and I was back in business.

Like I said, I know this is unique, but I thought I would post it nonetheless.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:33 PM
  • can i PLEASE get step by step directions on how to do this and like locations of where all these things are PLEASE!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
    • Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:18 AM
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:43 PM
  • make sure your computer date and time are  up to date...
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Check whether internet connection is connected or not.Internet connection could have been disconnected. Click on start, click on control panel, double click on automatic updates, click on install updates from windows website and select either customs install or express install.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I had this same problem. As it turned out it was because this particular computer had the Koobface virus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koobface

In particular, koobface installs a system service that modifies HTTP requests ever so slightly. Other types of requests might be modified as well but HTTP requests are for sure (not that I know if Automatic Update rely on HTTP). In particular, there's a new header added: "accept-encoding: text/html, text/plain". Only problem; text/html and text/plain are not valid values for this header. compress, gzip, deflate and identity are but not text/html or text/plain. Those belong in the Accept: header:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_header_fields

Most sites do not seem to mind if that part of the HTTP request is malformed but it seems like microsoft.com sites do and trying to visit them will get you an error 400 response code back.
    • Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:22 AM
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Try This...  (it worked for me)

If you have a home Network - - - disconnect /turn-off  all the computers except the one you are trouble-shooting; also disconnect /unplug  the ethernet cable from your Modem to your Router - don't worry - - only for a temporary period of time...

then, finally plug in the One Computer's ethernet cable directly into the Modem... you now have only one computer connecting to the internet....

and watch and see how well it works!

When all done with your updates, reconnect all your network ethernet cables as the were originally.

: )

www.digitaldanw.com

• Proposed as answer by Digital Dan W Monday, April 25, 2011 5:14 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Try this.... (it worked for me)

If you have a home Network - - - disconnect /turn-off all the computers except the one you are trouble-shooting; also disconnect /unplug the ethernet cable from your Modem to your Router - don't worry - - only for a temporary period of time...

then finally plug in the One Computer's ethernet cable directly into the Modem....

you now have only one computer connecting to the internet....

When all done with your updates, reconnect all your network ethernet cables as they were originally.

www.digitaldanw.com

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:04 AM
  • Try This...  (it worked for me)

If you have a home Network - - - disconnect /turn-off  all the computers except the one you are trouble-shooting; also disconnect /unplug  the ethernet cable from your Modem to your Router - don't worry - - only for a temporary period of time...

then, finally plug in the One Computer's ethernet cable directly into the Modem... you now have only one computer connecting to the internet....

When all done with your updates, reconnect all your network ethernet cables as the were originally.

www.digitaldanw.com

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:18 AM
  • I had the same problem but after adjusting the firewall settings it worked. I did disable firewall(both windows n antivirus's wall) and search again,after tht set th wall back on
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Thank you so much. I was going crazy trying to fix this and you are the only one that I've seen with a fix that worked.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:48 PM