none
Windows 7 SP1 failed to install, now Internet Explorer 9, MS Outllok 2007 do not load

Question

• I have tried to install Windows 7 SP1 on a computer using Windows Update, and it all seemed to be working correctly, the PC rebooted, and all the configuration and setup steps were going correctly, but suddenly I see that it said that the SP1 installation failed and it was reverting back the changes. I waited several hours, but it seemed that process got stuck, so I forced a reboot on the PC. After rebooting it kept saying that it was reverting the changes, and no matter how long I waited, it did not seem to be progressing. So I rebooted again, entered safe mode, and used system restore to restore it to the point it was before the SP1 update. 

After it rebooted, it appeared to be working normally, but now I am not able to open Internet Explorer (I click on the icon, and it doesn't do anything, the iexplorer.exe process doesn't even appear on the task manager process list), and also Microsoft Outlook 2007 is not working (it opens, starts to load, I can see the mail folders, but it doen't show the starting page it usually shows. I if click on a folder on the mail folder tree, it throws an windows saying that Outlook has crashed and then closes). I have tried starting Outlook in safe mode, but that doesn't work. 

When Windows loads after login in with a user, the following error appears "Ordinal Not Found - The ordinal 231 could not be located un the dynamic library ietutil.dll." 

Not sure what I else can I do, short a PC format (not desirable). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:44 PM

Answers

• run follwoing command 

sfc /scannow 

it shud replace corrupted win 7 files 

Thanks Uday Kiran,
    Senior Consultant

Cyquent Technology Consultants, Dubai

Please Mark as answer if it helps you
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Also, you may try to make an In-place upgrade.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:40 AM

All replies

• run follwoing command 

sfc /scannow 

it shud replace corrupted win 7 files 

Thanks Uday Kiran,
    Senior Consultant

Cyquent Technology Consultants, Dubai

Please Mark as answer if it helps you
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Also, you may try to make an In-place upgrade.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:40 AM
  • Thanks...this really worked
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:54 PM
  • REagleson,

what makes ur thing fix ???

sfc /scannow or in-place upgrade ????

regards,

Monday, July 04, 2011 9:14 PM