none
Useful New Windows 7 HOTKEYS-Keyboard Shortcuts

General discussion

• I'm not sure if the list of hotkeys using the Windows key has been posted or not.  For those who haven't seen all the new uses for the Windows key in Windows 7,  here is a list of hotkey functions:

WINDOWS 7 HOTKEYS:

General:

Win + M will minimize

Win + D Will Show Desktop

Win+Up Maximize
        Win+Down Restore / Minimize
        Win+Left Snap to left
        Win+Right Snap to right
        Win+Shift+Left Jump to left monitor
        Win+Shift+Right Jump to right monitor
        Win+Home Minimize / Restore all other windows
        Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry
        Pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around.
        Win+Shift+T cycles backwards.
        Win+Space Peek at the desktop
        Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the Z-order
        Win+P External display options (mirror, extend desktop, etc)
        Win+X Mobility Center (same as Vista, but still handy!)
        Win+#
        (# = a number key) Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.

Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.
        Win + +
        Win + - (plus or minus key) Zoom in or out.

Explorer:
        Alt+P Show/hide Preview Pane

Taskbar modifiers:

Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance
        Middle click on icon Open a new instance
        Ctrl + Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance with Admin privileges
        Shift + Right-click on icon Show window menu (Restore / Minimize / Move / etc)
        Note: Normally you can just right-click on the window thumbnail to get this menu
        Shift + Right-click on grouped icon Menu with Restore All / Minimize All / Close All, etc.
        Ctrl + Click on grouped icon Cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:21 AM

All replies

• Win + D will minimize

Win + D again will bring  window back up

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Hi King Tiki:

Good addition for the list of hotkeys.   Probably many others will work in Win7 also.  I think the intention of the website I found the Win7 hotkeys on was to point out new uses for the Win key that may not have worked in previous versions of windows?  I added your Win hotkeys in the list in case anyone wants to copy them for reference.  (Like me)

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Small correction.

Win + M = Minimize

Win + D = Show Desktop

The difference is that Win + M can't minimize modular Windows

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Ctrl + Shift + Click for run as admin may be my favorite feature of 7!
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Dennis Baker said:

Ctrl + Shift + Click for run as admin may be my favorite feature of 7!

I would second that!

Very disappointed with the new Win + E hotkey bringing up Libraries instead of My Computer as in XP/Vista. I know its not the end of the world but I know how frequently its used.

Liking the way most of the old hotkeys still work like Ctrl + Shift + Esc for Task Manager etc.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:27 AM
  • I've actually found the libraries to be more useful to me than My Computer was. Everything I need is on that one screen and it is easily customized.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 1:43 PM
  •  why dont u insert the option to cycle throught windows of a group (like Ctrl + Click) when i scroll my mousewhell over the groupicon? small extension but a big effect
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Dennis Baker said:

I've actually found the libraries to be more useful to me than My Computer was. Everything I need is on that one screen and it is easily customized.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the Libraries function, but its just the shortcut I would like to see changed, as Win + E has always been My Computer and its one thats always stuck is all.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 9:24 PM
  • That's an old one :D
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:52 AM
  • I found all these tips helpful.  Thanks!
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:34 AM
  • One thing I wish for, not sure if this exist, is to be able to use Win + D only on the active screen and not have it minimise the world.

I work with multiple screens and when i press minimise i would like to only minimise the screen that have the mouse cursor on and not all screens.

A new shortcut for this would be nice since alot of people are probably used to Win + D as is.

regards

Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:25 AM
  • "One thing I wish for, not sure if this exist, is to be able to use Win + D only on the active screen and not have it minimise the world."

I believe that is the windows+home shortcut listed above.

Awesome list by the way.  windows+d is a nice feature to hide what I am working on from prying eyes that enter my office.  I know it is the same as clicking the button the taskbar but the keyboard shortcut is quicker to find.

Monday, November 04, 2013 1:47 PM