none
Removing some pinned programs from the Default profile that builds new users when they login RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating an OS image to use for deploying new computers and need to know how to remove some of the default pinned items (ie Windows Media Player) from the default user account. That way when a new user logs into the computer for the first time they don't get windows media player pinned to the start bar. I am using windows 7 in a server 2003 environment and would prefer to remove these programs from the default user instead of running a .net or vb script at login. This way if the user chooses to add windows media player it will remain, but new users won't be forced to get it.

Thanks,

--Rich

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have done a bunch of work with this and I am in the same spot you are.  I have tried to get Copy profile to apply for those pinned items, but with no avail.  I too am interested how to do this.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:10 PM
  • You could disable it via GPO

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617162(WS.10).aspx

Remove pinned programs from the Taskbar

This policy setting allows you to control if programs can be pinned to the taskbar.

If you enable this policy setting, you prevent pinned programs from showing on the taskbar, and users cannot pin programs to the taskbar.

Remove pinned programs list from the Start Menu

This policy setting’s existing functionality from Windows Vista remains unchanged.

In Windows 7, the Pin to Start Menu context menu command is removed and users cannot use drag-and-drop to pin items in the Start menu.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:25 PM
  • The issue is I want them to be able to pin items to the task bar, I just want to remove some of the defaults. If I disable the pin to Start Menu GPO then they will not be able to add any items at all to the start bar. It seems a lot of people are attempting to do this and it would be great if Microsoft would provide some assistance.

Thanks,

--Rich

• Edited by Rwe2 Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:14 PM
  •  

You can try to script the process in that case

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/w7itproinstall/thread/07C56C20-3F56-4191-84C6-FC033F7A8F29

'Credit goes to Eric G. for writing this script.
    'More info at http://frontslash.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/removing-internet-explorer-and-windows-media-player-from-taskbar/#comment-178

Option Explicit

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17
    Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2
    Const CSIDL_STARTMENU = &HB

Dim objShell, objFSO
    Dim objCurrentUserStartFolder
    Dim strCurrentUserStartFolderPath
    Dim objAllUsersProgramsFolder
    Dim strAllUsersProgramsPath
    Dim objFolder
    Dim objFolderItem
    Dim colVerbs
    Dim objVerb

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objCurrentUserStartFolder = objShell.NameSpace (CSIDL_STARTMENU)
    strCurrentUserStartFolderPath = objCurrentUserStartFolder.Self.Path
    Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)
    strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

'Internet Explorer
    If objFSO.FileExists(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs")
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Internet Explorer.lnk")
        Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
        For Each objVerb in colVerbs
            If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt
        Next
    End If
    'Windows Explorer
    If objFSO.FileExists(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs\Accessories")
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Windows Explorer.lnk")
        Next
    End If
    'Windows Media Player
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Windows Media Player.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath)
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Windows Media Player.lnk")
        Next
    End If

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Would you run the script as a start up script or from group policy. The issue is I want them to not have Windows Media Player by default, but I do not want to prevent them from adding it. It seems this script would removed it every time the user logs in instead of just when the user logs into the computer for the first time.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:06 PM
  • It would be really nice to get some resolution from Microsoft on this issue as I am not the only one online attempting to do it.

I have seen a number of solutions to this issue which have flaws in them.

1. Disable Pinning via group policy (Whereas this prevents the default pinned programs from showing up it blocks users from adding them)

2. Run a script similar to the one above which will remove the pinning programs every time it runs, the issue here is if the user wants to add one of the default programs, which the script removes, every time it runs the user will have to readd the programs.

I need to know how to edit the default profile so when new users are added and the profile is copied the pinned programs do not come across. This way the user can add the ones they want and not have them removed from a script that runs via GPO or the startup folder locally.  

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Here's how I do it:

reg load HKU\ntuser.dat c:\users\default\ntuser.dat

rem [HKEY_USERS\ntuser.dat\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]
    reg import taskband.reg

reg unload HKU\ntuser.dat

copy /y *.lnk "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\"

The mediaplayer shortcut might be getting installed through active setup?

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Have you seen this one already? "Remove Windows Media Player pinned taskbar item"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/7aef91e3-47c2-4d18-9156-383b374bca88/

It mentions: you can use a script like this to modify superbar or start menu pinto

My blogs: Henk's blog and Virtuall | Follow Me on: Twitter | View My Profile on: LinkedIn
    Monday, January 9, 2012 7:10 PM