none
duplicate songs in Windows 7 Media Player

Question

• Well folks, not sure what I did, but I managed to duplicate all the songs in my Windows 7 Media Player. I have a three week old laptop with Windows 7; really struggling with file management and layout in "libraries", that is, easily accessing my music, some guitar software files, etc.; somehow I installed my music folder onto the WMP again . Anyone know how I can reverse this situation, so I don't have to go through every album and delete?
    Also, I have "test deleted" a couple of songs from the WMP library, and they are also deleted from the original file. I have selected "delete from library only" from the manage menu, but they appear to have disappeared completely.
    Baby steps please, as Windows 7 has me really spooked... I miss XP!
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:17 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your suggestion!
    I did find the problem, I had a duplicate music folder (all my songs) within the original music folder containing all my songs. Once I deleted the original file, the duplicate songs in the library disappeared. I suspect I may have inadvertently dragged it in there, as I have a very sensitive touch pad, and I am still getting used to it (always been a mouse guy).
    Have been using the tutorials on the Microsoft site, and that has also been helpful.
    Thanks again for trying to help!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:46 PM

All replies

• How about restoring media library as below:

Load WMP, press Alt to display menu bar.

Click Tools -> Advanced -> Restore Media Library.

You can also try restoring Windows Media components as below:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.

2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion!
    I did find the problem, I had a duplicate music folder (all my songs) within the original music folder containing all my songs. Once I deleted the original file, the duplicate songs in the library disappeared. I suspect I may have inadvertently dragged it in there, as I have a very sensitive touch pad, and I am still getting used to it (always been a mouse guy).
    Have been using the tutorials on the Microsoft site, and that has also been helpful.
    Thanks again for trying to help!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:46 PM
  • it's itunes.  itunes and wmp don't like eachother, and use the same resources.  you need to keep them separated. your itunes data folder might be in the same folder that your wmp songs are in, and therefore when wmp scans that folder for songs, it sees itunes.  just move it to a different un-scannable location and reset your itunes default folder, and you're good.
    • Proposed as answer by GruberHof Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by GruberHof Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:59 PM
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem but i am not sure how to separte my itunes music from wmp can you help?

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Mike: in WMP's library, you can click Organize - Manage libraries - Music to view/edit the list of library locations. Just make sure that none of those locations contains your iTunes music files.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

• Edited by Tim De Baets Friday, February 10, 2012 7:56 PM
    • Proposed as answer by GruberHof Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:59 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:55 PM