none
Windows search returning different results RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

two weeks ago a customer of mine migrated DFS shares to Windows Server 2019. They simply made Win2019 a new DFS replication target, which worked great.

But now - since shares are stored on Windows 2019 - users are getting different search results, if they are trying to find documents.

Users still using Windows 7 don't get any search results. Users on Windows 8 are getting some search results. Users on Windows 10 are getting all search results.

It doesn't seem to be related to permissions or DFS, cause if you connect directly to the shares (without using DFS as entrypoint), same behavior in the search results. Permissions haven't changed…

May be something with SMB version -  or settings of Windows Search ???

Yours

Franz-Georg

fgc

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

To better understand our question, please confirm the following information:

1. Where are the DFS shares on before we migrated it to Windows server 2019? Windows server 2016, server 2012R2 or other servers?

2. Do we have the same issue we mentioned above before migrating the DFS shares to Windows server 2019?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Dear Daisy,

let me answer your first Question.

1. The DFS shares were on a Windows 2008R2 Server before we migrated.

2. No, we had no issues on the 2008R2-Server before, specially filesearching worked fine.

Yours

Franz-Georg

fgc

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:03 AM
  • Hi,
    Do we mean we can not access all DFS Namespaces and DFS Replications on Win 7?
    Or do we mean we can not access all DFS Namespaces, but we can access all DFS Replications on Win 7?

No matter we access through IP address or Server Name.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:16 AM
  • Dear Daisy,

the problem is that after migrating DFS folders to Win2019 (which have complex subfolder structures), the search results for certain files are returning different results on different client Systems, like Windows 7, 8, 10.

I was thinking that it might be related to different SMB versions on the Clients and may be there's a registry key on Win2019 to support legacy Clients … perhaps someone has an idea...

Yours

Franz-Georg

fgc

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:50 PM
  • Hi,
    I think we are right. The problem may be related to network SMB. I think we can post the case in network forum.

The following web site for more detail of Professional Support Options and incident submission methods is for your reference: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverPN

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

finally my customer decided to upgrade all related machines to Windows 10 or Server 2019, so the problem shouldn't exist any more.

Thanks for all your support!

Kind Regards

Franz-Georg

fgc

Monday, December 2, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your update. I am so glad that we resolved the problem.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:21 AM