Installing Windows Mobile Device Center on Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,
     I'm trying to install the WMDC on Windows 7 and I'm getting and error about how I don't have at least one component required by it.... Any ideas?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hi YukiLTU,

Your problem description is not detailed. At least, you should record the full error message here.

I suggest you download WMDC installation file again from the following link to make sure the installation file is good.

32-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=46f72df1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914

64-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f68eb56-7825-43b2-ac89-2030ed98ed95

In order to make sure the system components are good, you can run System File Checker to scan the system.

Run System File Checker

========================

1. Click Start button, All Programs and Accessories, right click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”.

2. Type "SFC     /Scannow" (without quotation marks) and press “Enter”.

If some files cannot be fixed, you run the following command to save the detailed log in Drive C.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >C:\sfcdetails.txt

Now, I suggest you upload it to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

If everything is good, I suggest you try to install WMDC again in Clean Boot. In Clean Boot, other programs will not affect the installation.

If the issue reoccurs, I hope you can capture a screenshot of the error message and upload it to SkyDrive.

How to capture a screenshot

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

which component is he missing?

Have you downloaded the latest WMDC from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=46F72DF1-E46A-4A5F-A791-09F07AAA1914&displaylang=en

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:00 PM
  • Hi YukiLTU,

Your problem description is not detailed. At least, you should record the full error message here.

I suggest you download WMDC installation file again from the following link to make sure the installation file is good.

32-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=46f72df1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914

64-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f68eb56-7825-43b2-ac89-2030ed98ed95

In order to make sure the system components are good, you can run System File Checker to scan the system.

Run System File Checker

========================

1. Click Start button, All Programs and Accessories, right click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”.

2. Type "SFC     /Scannow" (without quotation marks) and press “Enter”.

If some files cannot be fixed, you run the following command to save the detailed log in Drive C.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >C:\sfcdetails.txt

Now, I suggest you upload it to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

If everything is good, I suggest you try to install WMDC again in Clean Boot. In Clean Boot, other programs will not affect the installation.

If the issue reoccurs, I hope you can capture a screenshot of the error message and upload it to SkyDrive.

How to capture a screenshot

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:28 AM
  • It worked for me!

Boom!

Thank You!

ps gotta have your device plugged into to activate the device center to finish the process, hope that helps.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:56 PM
  • And everyone needs to read the post ir was for Windows 7.  WMDC does not work on windows 7

Eric D Milberger

Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:02 AM
  • And everyone needs to read the post ir was for Windows 7.  WMDC does not work on windows 7

Eric D Milberger

This answer is incorrect I use WMDC 6.5 on XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.
    Monday, May 23, 2016 3:15 PM
  • April 2018,

6.1 still works fine on w7 and w8.1 although drivers can be a pain.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:06 AM