none
Communication with service processes failed. Tray cannot start.

Question

• Just performed an in place upgrade followed by Windows updates.

Winver displays Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.632

There was a pop up without a title bar that displayed:

Communication with service processes failed.  Tray cannot start.

What does this message refer to?

How do you troubleshoot so that it is fixed.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 8:27 PM

All replies

• Just performed an in place upgrade followed by Windows updates.

Winver displays Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.632

There was a pop up without a title bar that displayed:

Communication with service processes failed.  Tray cannot start.

What does this message refer to?

How do you troubleshoot so that it is fixed.

I am having the same issue, and the laptop is running really slow now :(
    Tuesday, October 03, 2017 11:03 PM
  • My laptop has updated to 15063.632 but doesn’t show this message, have you try sfc /scannow and DISM command to repair system files?

I search online but no one reflect same scenario, I will submit this case to Microsoft.

Please execute a full shutdown and clean boot to check again.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 2:03 AM
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel Driver and Support Assistant is probably your source for the error.

I had the same issue. I went into them program startup menu and disabled the DSATray from Intel. This will stop that pop up message from appearing when you start your computer.

The Intel Driver and Support Assistant application for some reason wouldn't open, no matter how I tried, even from the program file. I uninstalled it and downloaded/reinstalled the program.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

It's easiest to uninstall the assistant and do a fresh install. If you still have issues though, you can disable the Intel DSA tray in your startup program menu until a fix action comes along.

Hopefully this helps!

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 3:24 AM
  • If the Intel driver and support assistant is the problem it did not let me uninstall it.

Intel driver and support assistant 3.0

Setup failed.

One or more issues caused the set up to fail.

Please fix the issue and then retry setup.

For more information see the log file.

0x80070641

Another program was uninstalled to check the ability to uninstall and it was successful.

An in place upgrade repair was performed.

This message reappeared after the in place upgrade repair:

The communication with service processes failed.  Tray cannot start.

For the error code 0x80070641 > win + r > type: msiexec /Unregister then type: msiexec /regserver had no impact.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 8:16 AM
  • You could try deleting the folder and disabling the program in the computer's start up. Afterwards, try to download the program again. I used CCleaner to fix the problem vs navigating through the Windows 10 menus. Otherwise, you may have to try this.

If it continues to give you problems, at least disabling it from starting when you boot up your computer will get rid of that annoying message. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/247501/how-to-manually-remove-programs-from-the-add-remove-programs-list

Thursday, October 05, 2017 4:31 AM
  • Scannow > no integrity violations

Restorehealth > completed successfully

A second windows 10 version 1703 in place upgrade repair was performed.  Upgrades were done after the install.

Winver displays:  windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.632

There was no change in the problems:  Communication with service processes failed. Tray cannot start.

Most often the in place upgrade repair fixes operating system problems.

This likely is then a registry problem?

Thursday, October 05, 2017 6:59 AM
  • IT MEANS THAT U NEED TO UPDATE THE INTEL SUPPORT SOFTWARE:

download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:32 PM

• Two in place upgrades did not fix the problem.

The pop up did not display a title bar.

The uninstall (it failed to uninstall) and reinstall of the Intel software had no impact.

A clean install was performed using a Windows 10 iso.

The only software/firmware installed so far are manual AV, and drivers.

During late October/ early November I'll install a lot of software to see if the problem can be recreated.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:12 PM
  • have suddenly started getting this message/pop up also - have done nothing to my laptop, no reboot or update other than auto updates.

I did try a <g class="gr_ gr_65 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="65" id="65">ccclean</g> but to no avail, so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

I mean what tray? 

K1w1L1Z

Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Having the same problem, just surfaced after Windows update 11/10/17.
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:31 AM
  • Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Thanks that worked!!
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:31 PM