none
Default Programs in Windows 10 via Group Policy

Question

• Good morning everyone,

So we are currently using Group Policy to set the default applications for users on Windows 10.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file

The file is an XML file which basically states the File Extension and the associated program. Works well, although doesn't seem the cleanest.

The problem has come up with PDF Files, whereby some users have Adobe Professional in addition to Adobe Reader. The default for PDF Files is Adobe Reader, but the Adobe Professional users want it to be Adobe Professional, not Adobe Reader. Of course, they can change this, but once they logoff/logon, this gets changed back.

Is there a way to change this for Adobe Professional users? We don't want to create an entirely separate policy. I imagined an IF statement or something if they had Adobe Professional installed, then it could be overwritten, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The simplest way is to create a second GPO for pro users...

FrenchITGuy.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your response :-)

Yes I agree that a separate GPO would resolve the issue...But it complicates the centralised management to have a 2nd GPO just for that 1 purpose. Especially for future unrelated GPO changes which go out to all users...

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:47 PM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 8, 2016 7:24 AM
  • Hmm no solution yet.

I guess that the method for setting default file associations to programs in Windows 10 doesn't really have any flexibility at all over changing from the defaults...Unless a separate Group Policy is set.

But with that solution, one could end up having ten's of Policies all with just 1 difference; a file type association. This of course would be very untidy and complicated to manage in a large environment.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:43 PM