none
Windows 7 needs HDD drivers?

Question

• I recently decided to build a computer, so I decided to give it everything that my other computers lack for gaming. All was going well until I tried to install Windows 7. When I put the disc in the drive, I got an error message saying that I needed a driver for my CD/DVD drive. I was stuck on this for a while, then I decided to make a USB key out of my install disk. Again, all went well until it came time to install Windows 7. This time it bypasses the DVD driver and went straight to the HDD driver error I mentioned. There are absolutely no drivers for a Western Digital WD6400 that I can find and I have no idea what the installation is trying to do. Is there any way to bypass the driver check or possibly fool it until I get Windows installed so I can find the correct drivers? I can't try any of my PC's components in another computer as everything is too new for the other computers in my house. (Drives are SATA, running x64, Windows 7, etc.) If anyone can point me in the right direction regarding this issue I would greatly appreciate it.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:55 AM

Answers

• Ok lets go back to the beginning. This is a new home built system. Is both the hard drive and CD/DVD drive Serial ATA devices? Or just the hard drive and the CD/DVD is IDE. It sounds as though you don't have your bios settings correct, did you change any settings on the bios? Change the BIOS to default settings. During boot up, see if F12 (or some other F key) will let you choose bootup options (keep an eye on the screen for boot menu options). Give us specifics as to your DVD drive and motherboard (be specific as to make, model and model #). Its not the hard drive driver you're looking for, its the controller on the motherboard that's giving it the fits and/or specific bios settings.  Stay with the DVD install, cause once you fix one problem, it will most likely fix the other.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:36 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:15 AM
  • I recently decided to build a computer, so I decided to give it everything that my other computers lack for gaming. All was going well until I tried to install Windows 7. When I put the disc in the drive, I got an error message saying that I needed a driver for my CD/DVD drive. I was stuck on this for a while, then I decided to make a USB key out of my install disk. Again, all went well until it came time to install Windows 7. This time it bypasses the DVD driver and went straight to the HDD driver error I mentioned. There are absolutely no drivers for a Western Digital WD6400 that I can find and I have no idea what the installation is trying to do. Is there any way to bypass the driver check or possibly fool it until I get Windows installed so I can find the correct drivers? I can't try any of my PC's components in another computer as everything is too new for the other computers in my house. (Drives are SATA, running x64, Windows 7, etc.) If anyone can point me in the right direction regarding this issue I would greatly appreciate it.
    What motherboard are you using? Sounds like you have a RAID enabled and you are not providing Windows with the needed RAID disk.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    • Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Friday, January 15, 2010 8:54 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Wow...I can't believe I didn't notice that there were other SATA ports....and I can't believe you sniped that issue as well as you did bobkn! I switched my HDD and ODD from the ports I had them to the other ones and windows recognized my drives and I was able to get past the error....so far so good as Windows is installing and I overlooked such an obvious problem. THANKS!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:33 AM
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:49 AM

All replies

• Ok lets go back to the beginning. This is a new home built system. Is both the hard drive and CD/DVD drive Serial ATA devices? Or just the hard drive and the CD/DVD is IDE. It sounds as though you don't have your bios settings correct, did you change any settings on the bios? Change the BIOS to default settings. During boot up, see if F12 (or some other F key) will let you choose bootup options (keep an eye on the screen for boot menu options). Give us specifics as to your DVD drive and motherboard (be specific as to make, model and model #). Its not the hard drive driver you're looking for, its the controller on the motherboard that's giving it the fits and/or specific bios settings.  Stay with the DVD install, cause once you fix one problem, it will most likely fix the other.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:15 AM
    What motherboard are you using? Sounds like you have a RAID enabled and you are not providing Windows with the needed RAID disk.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    • Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Friday, January 15, 2010 8:54 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:32 AM

Agreed on the above, it could be either raid is enable in cmos setup or you didn't set the first bootable device as cd/dvd drive in bios.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Wow you guys are quick! Anyway I have an Intel D975XBX motherboard (the Bad Axe) and I'm running an Intel e7500 processor. The hard drive I'm using is a Western Digital WD6400, and my optical drive is an LG GH22NS50...both are SATA. I did have my motherboard configuration set to RAID, but after changing that I still have the same problem. I did change some bios settings, but nothing major, and only after I experienced this problem for the first time. My bios is set to boot from a USB first, obviously, and then I have it set from my CD/DVD, then Hard Drive, then Floppy, then Ethernet.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:53 PM
  • You will need to get the intel storage drivers from your MB manufacturer and use those drivers when trying to install windows in a RAID setup. Otherwise, you will need to set your bios to AHCI or IDE to install windows
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:02 PM
  • You will need to get the intel storage drivers from your MB manufacturer and use those drivers when trying to install windows in a RAID setup. Otherwise, you will need to set your bios to AHCI or IDE to install windows

You would want IDE if its a single drive, but of course depending on M/B / BIOS those settings may look different.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Well I really don't want to have a RAID setup since I only have one Hard Drive. It's set to IDE, but the problem still exists so if someone could at least spitball some ideas for me it would be helpful as I am at a loss on my own. It's my first computer build and everything has gone great up until this point.

P.S.  My dad has an old Windows XP disc at work, so I was thinking maybe it would be possible to install XP on my computer, then get the drivers and save them to a disc. Then I'll throw the Windows 7 disc in and do a clean install and put the disc in with all the drivers when it asks for them. Good idea or not?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Diable unused IDE/SATA ports will make you system boot faster. I did a test and the difference was about 30% on my machine.

Do this in the BIOS.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:05 PM
  • i've had the same issue your having on an intel motherboard. for me, during the install when it gives you the option to load extra drivers, i just pointed it to a flash drive that i downloaded the latest intel chipset and storage manager drivers on.

however, if windows 7 won't install, i would be supprised if XP does.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Ok - Then copy your SATA controller drivers onto the USB drive (the actual txt.oem / inf files)

Boot to Windows 7 Disc

Go to start Windows, and browse for drivers.

Select the usb drive, and load the sata controller drivers. You wont be able to see the drivers on CD because setup can't see your disc.

Once you can get Windows to see the DVD drive, it'll see the hard drive since they are on the same sata controller.

If that don't work, if you can get XP installed properly (which it will probably want the sata controller driver as well), then upgrade to Windows 7.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:11 PM
  • I don't know if this is an easy question, but what if I can't download any drivers that aren't in application form? How do I go about installing the drivers if I don't have an OS installed? Also can anyone verify if I need to flash my BIOS, that is if the motherboard I'm using is not compatible with 7. I'm not sure how to do that either without having an OS installed, and I didn't really set it up beyond turning it on and throwing the Windows disk in so if anyone can point out something I may be missing I would appreciate it.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:12 AM
  • What sort of Win7 install disk do you have?

I've not seen it personally, but I have read of people getting the "drivers required" error when the Win7 DVD was corrupt. (That isn't rare if the DVD was burned from a downloaded .iso. It can happen with a retail DVD, but it's less likely.)

One work-around for that is to create a bootable USB key drive, and install the OS from that:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

It has the side effect of being considerably faster than installing from the DVD, if you're doing a clean install.

I believe that it's very unlikely you'd need to install drivers for an Intel D975XBX motherboard, if you're using the Intel SATA controller. However, I see that the D975XBX also includes a SiI 3114 controller. (That's for 4 additional SATA ports, and/or SATA RAID.) You may need additional drivers to use that, although I wouldn't bet on it. If your drives are connected to the SiI controller, try them on the Intel ports.

Good luck.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:42 AM
  • Well I am installing it from a USB key that I made from my install disc...and I'm using the Home Rremium System Builder's OEM disc (64-bit). I really have no idea what the problem is at this point as nothing has seemed to work. The USB key got me around needing drivers for my DVD drive, but I am still stuck on the hard drive issue (or maybe another issue altogether if Windows is giving me a misleading error message). Everything I have is connected directly to the motherboard, so if its not the drivers for the SATA drives (BTW I only have one DVD drive and one HDD), then there is really no other option than the motherboard right? For anyone who has experienced an issue like this can you explain and possibly even give me a resource as to what you did to fix the issue? It seems like a Windows 7 only issue which is what made me think I should try installing XP, then copying the drivers. Only problem is if that method still leaves me stuck with the same error due to a motherboard issue.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Ok there's a possible couple other problems that might exist. One your motherboard isn't going to work (we've had a few lately who built home built machines in which the motherboard just wouldn't work), another is a couple possible problems - This DVD did you burn it yourself? If so, its possible the installation is corrupt - reburn it at a slower speed and try again. Another user I helped very early this morning - his problem was a RARE bad DVD bought form NewEgg, he borrowed another DVD and it just fine. 

That's the problem though when you buy equipment, it hasn't been tested in all hardware configuration setups. In your case, if you haven't tried the DEFAULT settings (with the exception of making CD/DVD boot first). bobkn suggestions also sounds very reasonable as well.

You can't install drivers if there's no operating system installed (or in memory), the OS install F6 just loads those drivers in virtual memory (temporary use - simplest terms).  Have you checked to see if there were any new firmware for that motherboard? Just because the motherboard is new, doesn't mean its fresh from the factory with the latest and greatest firmware. Just a thought to keep the mind going ;)
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Well i don't know if my motherboard is bad or not...but seeing as how it fires up and the computer runs perfectly fine otherwise leads me to believe this is only a software issue, albeit a very tricky one. I did not burn the DVD myself, I bought it online at TigerDirect. The first thing I tried was the default settings, so I was thinking that flashing my Bios would likely be where I'm headed next. It's also good to know that one more person thinks this has nothing to do with the device drivers for my HDD, and I'm also leaning toward an issue between my motherboard's compatibility with Windows 7. I think I'll try flashing the BIOS and go from there. If that doesn't work I may try XP to see if the problem only exists with 7. My only question from there is this: should I upgrade from XP to 7 if I get it working or go for a clean install? Also can I do an upgrade from a system builder edition disc?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:30 AM
  • Well i don't know if my motherboard is bad or not...but seeing as how it fires up and the computer runs perfectly fine otherwise leads me to believe this is only a software issue, albeit a very tricky one. I did not burn the DVD myself, I bought it online at TigerDirect. The first thing I tried was the default settings, so I was thinking that flashing my Bios would likely be where I'm headed next. It's also good to know that one more person thinks this has nothing to do with the device drivers for my HDD, and I'm also leaning toward an issue between my motherboard's compatibility with Windows 7. I think I'll try flashing the BIOS and go from there. If that doesn't work I may try XP to see if the problem only exists with 7. My only question from there is this: should I upgrade from XP to 7 if I get it working or go for a clean install? Also can I do an upgrade from a system builder edition disc?

Let me ask again: are you connected to the Intel SATA controller or the Silicon Image one? You have 8 SATA connectors on the board. Four of them are from the Intel ICH7R controller, and the other four are from the SiI one. I believe that life will be easier if you connect your HD and optical drive to the Intel controller.

I'm not sure about performing an upgrade with a System Builder  (generic OEM) disk. I believe that it wasn't permitted with XP, and I'm fairly sure that it wasn't under Vista. I'd expect Win7 to be the same; it would be consistent with the purpose of an OEM disk (that is, to install on a new system, intended for sale).

Incidentally, you may wish to read:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561&tag=col1;post-1561

(Confusion about OEM licenses.)
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Wow...I can't believe I didn't notice that there were other SATA ports....and I can't believe you sniped that issue as well as you did bobkn! I switched my HDD and ODD from the ports I had them to the other ones and windows recognized my drives and I was able to get past the error....so far so good as Windows is installing and I overlooked such an obvious problem. THANKS!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:33 AM
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:49 AM
  • To continue with the firearms metaphor, it was a lucky shot.

I'm glad that it helped.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:24 PM