none
windows boot manager stopped working

Question

• When I try to boot my system (details below), I get this error right after POST: No physical memory is available at the location required for the windows boot manager. The system has been working just fine. The most recent change I recall making was to set up the on-board RAID, but I booted several times after that, so I don't think that it is the issue.

I tried to repair from the install DVD, but that had no effect.

I have a work-around; if a Win7 install DVD is in the DVD drive and I don't press a key to boot the DVD, then the DVD's boot manager runs, and it will then boot my system.

Windows 7 x64 RC, ASUS M4A79 Deluxe (AMD 790FX), AMD Phenom II x4 940, 8GB, LSI SAS3081E-R, LSI SAS3041E-R, MSI R4830 T2D512
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:18 AM

Answers

• Actually, I was right - the system works fine with the on-board RAID enabled. The problem exhibits when I attach a disk to that on-board RAID controller. There seems to be weirdness that happens when I attach the tenth drive, well if I count an LSI logical volume as one drive... I must be hitting a limitation of the BIOS or chipset.  So I ordered (yet another) RAID controller. :-(

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:36 PM

All replies

• Well, I was wrong - I disabled the on-board RAID and now the system boots fine. Is there some parameter that I can tweak so that the boot manager runs in a different memory location or such?

Thanks
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Actually, I was right - the system works fine with the on-board RAID enabled. The problem exhibits when I attach a disk to that on-board RAID controller. There seems to be weirdness that happens when I attach the tenth drive, well if I count an LSI logical volume as one drive... I must be hitting a limitation of the BIOS or chipset.  So I ordered (yet another) RAID controller. :-(

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:36 PM