none
Cracking Sound/ High DPC latency RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

I've been having an issue for a few weeks with very high DPC latency coming primarily from USBPORT.sys (which I understand is the LatencyMon software). There are also a smaller number of DPCs coming from other drivers which you can see in the .etl.

I've tried everything I can think of: updated chipset drivers, updated usb drivers, updated graphics drivers, tried all of the fixes listed on Google when searching for "USBPORT.sys dpc latency", etc.

It should be noted that the latency is very inconsistent. Some days there is still high latency on DPC latency checker but not audibly so and other days the audioi is mostly silence with the occasional stutter of audio getting through.

Can anyone have a look at the .etl file and see if they can figure out how I can fix this?

.etl file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0c09fg8wcc986f/CPU.rar?dl=1

Hardware:

• Intel i7-2600k CPU
    • nVidia GeForce 560 Ti GPU
    • ASUS P8Z68-V Motherboard
    • Komplete Audio 6 Audio Interface

It should be noted that I get the latency with or without the audio interface or graphics card.

Friday, March 18, 2016 11:40 PM

Answers

• Ok, after flashing my BIOS to the latest version the problem seems to have gone away. It's gone away for a couple of days in the past for no reason though so I'm going to give it until Sunday. If it's still not back by Sunday I'll mark this as the answer.

EDIT: Yup, that did it.

• Marked as answer by Omegastick Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:24 PM
    • Edited by Omegastick Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:24 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:51 AM

All replies

• There is not enough information in the trace to be specific.  You may want to use windows performance recorder instead of "XPERF" as that will contain more information.

From your trace the suspect is u3boostsvr64.exe is part of USB 3.0 Boost Service.

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, March 19, 2016 1:00 AM
  • Thanks for all your help, here's a link to the file produced by following the instructions on the wiki.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6my34f7fq1e5cnq/WPR%20Files.rar?dl=1

Edit: I tried disabling u3boostsvr64.exe and renaming the file, but the problem persists.
    • Edited by Omegastick Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:13 AM
    Saturday, March 19, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Try to diagnose /w Process Monitor (Sysinternals)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

M.

Saturday, March 19, 2016 11:38 AM
  • Troubleshooting with Process Monitor has brought up a few things. Wmiprvse was causing a lot of events and shutting that down seems to have made the problem margnially better. Steam was also causing a lot of events and shutting that down helped a little bit. The audio crackling persists though. svchost running with process ID 832 is generating a lot of events (more than the other two). PID 832 is the DCOMlaunch group of services (DcomLaunch, PlugPlay and Power) none of which can be disabled.

Any ideas?

Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Quick bump, still troubleshooting on my own but I can't seem to fix the problem.
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Your investigation of svchost is on the right track.  In the above trace it is solely responsibly for a large increase in cumulative handle increase which certainly can cause latency.  It does not help that you have 150+ processes running.

I would run a system file check to find the state of the OS.  If you were running 8.1 or higher we could fix the issue from DISM.

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM  if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, March 20, 2016 12:25 PM
  • I ran SFC and it didn't find any problems. I'm not running Windows 8 (this is Windows 7) so I can't run DISM. I've tried ending the processes for all the instances of svchost.exe. After I close one of them in particular (usually the one with the highest memory usage) the problem suddenly gets much better for a few seconds (DPC Latency Checker shows green bars for about ten seconds) but then goes back to normal (lots of DPC).

You're right, I have way too many processes running. I'm going to end all the non-essential ones and make another .etl.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 6:30 PM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/awp6et5jlr5nus3/FLAGRED-PC.03-20-2016.18-34-52.rar?dl=1

I managed to get the process count down to about 60. The problem is still there. Even if I get rid of every process not needed to run dpclat (~35 processes) the problem still persists. This makes me think it's either a very core Windows function that's not working right or hardware. I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 soon, but there's a project I have to finish using some software that only runs on Windows 7 that needs to be completed first.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 6:51 PM
  • http://i.imgur.com/7eb2DwF.png

Here is an image of Process Monitor. svchost.exe is repeatedly accessing the same registry key and I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the problem. Does anyone recognise what the key is (it is clearly something to do with USB, linking it with USBPort.sys)?

EDIT: The value DeviceInstance in the register that's being edited is USB\VID_045E&PID_028E\007A9E2 which (after googling) is something to do with the driver for Xbox controllers. I have an Xbox controller plugged into my PC, and I'm going to try troubleshooting that.

EDIT2: Deleted the keys it's trying to access. Problem is marginally better, but it's still trying to access the key repeatedly (except now it doesn't exist, so it can't find it). I've uninstalled the Xbox 360 Controller driver and all of the associated software I can think of. I have no idea why it's still trying to access that key.

EDIT3: Progress! Plugging in the Xbox controller and getting Windows to reinstall the drivers for it stopped the svchost spam. The latency is noticeably lower, but there is still crackling. I'm attributing this to wmiprvse.exe currently. Going to see if I can fix that too.

EDIT4: svchost.exe is back. :(

EDIT5: Okay, I'm beginning to suspect that svchost and wmiprvse aren't causing the dpc latency. I've managed to get the both under control (wmiprvse has a kind of high number of file events, but apparently that's normal) and the audio crackling persists. Does anyone have suggestions for what else it could be?

EDIT6: I've done a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem is still here. This makes me think it may be a hardware issue. The inside of my computer is pretty dirty, I'm going to get a can of compressed air and clean it out.

A couple of other people on the internet seem to have had the same issue as me, but none have found a solution as far as I can see. Here's to hoping it's a dusty connector/slightly loose plug.

• Edited by Omegastick Monday, March 21, 2016 4:03 AM
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Hi Omegastick,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

“I've done a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem is still here. This makes me think it may be a hardware issue.”

As you said, it seems to be a hardware issue.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Hey,

I've just come back from dusting out the case with a can of compressed air and double checking everything is plugged in properly inside the case. The problem is still there.

As far as I can see, this leaves two options. Some low level firmware (BIOS, etc.) isn't working properly (I should flash the BIOS) or a part isn't working properly (that part should be replaced). Does anyone have ideas for how I can test which part of the PC is failing? I ran a bunch of hard drive checks, so I know that's in peak condition but the PSU, motherboard and GPU are all potential points of failure.

I'm going to flash my BIOS anyway, maybe that will fix it.

EDIT: The downloads page for my motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-v) is missing from ASUS's website. I'm going to have to wait until they can send me the current BIOS until I can update that.
    • Edited by Omegastick Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Ok, after flashing my BIOS to the latest version the problem seems to have gone away. It's gone away for a couple of days in the past for no reason though so I'm going to give it until Sunday. If it's still not back by Sunday I'll mark this as the answer.

EDIT: Yup, that did it.

• Marked as answer by Omegastick Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:24 PM
    • Edited by Omegastick Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:24 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:51 AM