none
Preparing your device for mobile management (Failed:0x800705b4) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are seeing this particular error on specific Dell devices (Latitude 5500 and 5400).  The issue does not occur with our Lenovo T480s test laptop or our Dell OptiPlex.  Dell is enrolling these devices for us.  It also fails with a manual import.  

To troubleshoot I've removed all policies from Intune except for the hybrid domain join profile and the OOBE deployment profile.  The devices joins AAD and our local AD, reboots and get stuck on the device ESP.  It will eventually timeout with this error.  However, I can get it to go through by waiting long enough and then clicking SYNC on the device in Intune.  Obviously I'd rather not have to do that on every build.  Again, it goes through the device ESP just fine on other devices.  

I've opened a ticket with MS and Dell, but have yet to come up with a resolution.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:43 PM

All replies

• Are the device upgraded to 1903 or the later version? I have done a lot of research and find that this issue seems to be resolved after being upgraded to version 1903.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7f68943f-a33e-4eb7-ac7e-60e22875fab2/autopilot-selfdeploying-error-0x800705b4?forum=microsoftintuneprod 

Best regards,

Cici Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 3:02 AM
  • Hi.  I have the same issue since October 23rd.  Only 1903 Devices are affected.  I have a HV VM with 1809 and the issue is not occurring.  Is your Intune Tenant on 1911?
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Yes, our Intune Tenant is on 1911 and SCCM 1906.  It seems that this issue started around the time we upgrade to SCCM 1906 but cannot confirm.  I've tried the Latitudes with Windows 10 Pro 1903 and 1909.  
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Cici,

The devices are getting past the Securing your hardware phase.  I did see this forum post, but does not seem to be the same issue.  Our Latitudes are getting stuck on the Preparing your device for mobile management process.  Thanks for the reply.  

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:11 PM
  • I did as well.  I have a ticket open with MS.  The workaround that they provided was to bypass device ESP which works but no apps or customization get applied. 

This morning as a long shot did a device sync from Intune while the device was provisioning and provisioned successfully with the device ESP enabled.  To me it seems like an Intune issue and the AAD token is not being received on the device.  At least that what I see in the logs.  

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:43 PM
  • I totally understand your frustration in dealing with this issue. But please understand that to identify the root cause of stucking on the preparing device for mobile management process, we need to collect the logs and traces for more deeper analysis. It is suggested to create an online support ticket to address this issue. Here is the link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/get-support#help-and-support-experience

Best regards,

Cici Wu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Hi Cici.  I have an active ticket opened with support.  It has been escalated and they are unable to find a root cause.  Only work arounds.   
    Monday, December 9, 2019 4:18 PM
  • Thanks very much for your reply. Can you please share the workaround in this forum so that end user who has the same issue will benefit from your sharing. 

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Cici

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:33 AM
  • The workaround that they provided was to bypass device ESP which works but no apps or customization get applied. 
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Thank you very much for your sharing . I believe end users who may visit this thread in the future will benefit from your sharing. If you have any question in the future, welcome to post in our community!

Here is a brief summary of this post as below according to your description:

Problem Description

Dell devices (Latitude 5500 and 5400) with hybrid AD joined, reboots and get stuck on the device ESP, then timeout with this error                                                                      

Workaround

Bypass device ESP which works but no apps or customization get applied.

Best regards,

Cici Wu

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi RedBull,

How did you go with this?

AutoPilot was working for us just fine but this error just started occurring recently during 'Preparing your device for mobile management'.

We can get around it by just constantly restarting the device until it completes. Sometimes this can take 5 + restarts. Ill probably also raise with Microsoft and see if i get a different response.

• Edited by rabwick Saturday, December 28, 2019 11:38 PM
    Saturday, December 28, 2019 11:37 PM
  • Hi rabwick.  My M$ ticket has been escalated again.  Hopefully we will find a resolution soon.  
    Monday, December 30, 2019 7:07 PM
  • My ticket was transferred to the SCCM team.  We have a call setup for Monday.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  

Friday, January 3, 2020 7:50 PM
  • Rabwick, did you upgrade SCCM or did your Intune Tenant get upgraded recently?  

Friday, January 3, 2020 8:17 PM
  • We dont use SCCM and i dont believe our Intune Tenant got upgraded as far as im aware.

I havent raised with Microsoft just yet.

Sunday, January 5, 2020 3:42 AM
  • PwrdByRedBull, We’re you able to find anything else out with Microsoft yesterday? I am also experiencing this issue. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:45 PM
  • Preparing your device for mobile management Failed 0x800705b4 here with 1903 build. 

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

Saturday, January 11, 2020 6:01 PM
  • My ticket is still open and active.  The SCCM and Intune teams are going to collaborate.  The timeout does not occur for us with a simple AAD join, only during a hybrid join.   
    16 hours 36 minutes ago
  • My case was solved by totally removing sccm client from the offine image. Another possible reason is TPM issues.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

4 hours 55 minutes ago