none
outlook 2016 with pop account removes emails from server even though keep emails 14 days on server is checked RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased office 2016. But now outlook 2016 with pop account setting still removes emails from server even though "keep emails 14 days on server" is checked. That means I cannot see any emails with my Phone as soon as they are loaded into outlook. How can this be?
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 11:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please confirm if this account is also configured on other Outlook clients and third-party devices. In all Outlook clients configured this account, please make sure "leave a copy of messages on the server" is checked:

If the emails are still missing from server, please check other devices settings. Also confirm if there is any POP setting in server side. If only one Outlook 2016 is connected with this account, check if there is Virus scanner program installed in computer, disable it and restart Outlook to have a try.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 19, 2016 9:50 AM
  • I can confirm this behaviour.
    I have tested this on two different computers.
    One that has been used by our client, Office 365 updated from 2013 to 2016 yesterday, that was when this started.
    Other is new installation, Windows 7 up to date, new Office 2016 installation.
    Two different mail accounts on different mail servers.
    Pop3 accounts, ssl used.
    When you tick option "Remove from server after N days" outlook removes all mail from server.
    If you leave all mail on server, Outlook starts to fetch duplicates randomly. I had 1008 emails on my test account.
    Just tried, got no new emails, but outlook finds duplicate mails on every send and receive. Now I have 1051 emails in Outlook.
    Friday, February 19, 2016 10:56 AM
  • Esu66, that is the exact issue I am having. Emails are coming in 2 or 3 times as duplicates and after reading them in outlook, they will disappear from the server.

@Winnie, I wouldnt post anything if I did not try everything first (I used to work on a computer service desk so I know my stuff a bit), the setting is 14 days on server and delete from server after removing from  'deleted items'. I have only 1 pc that has outlook installed with windows 10, a freshly upgraded pc with clean install. It really looks like a bug in outlook. On my Phone and the webmail, emails are deleted as soon as they a read in outlook. Strangest thing.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 10:00 PM
  • I can confirm this bug. Outlook 2016 is downloading deleting everything on the Verizon PoP3 servers,  even when leave a copy on the server is checked as shown in the example above.  Verizon informs me that they have reported this bug to Microsoft.  Is there a fix other than not to use Outlook 2016?
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 1:29 AM
  • If you leave all mail on server, Outlook starts to fetch duplicates randomly. I had 1008 emails on my test account.
    Just tried, got no new emails, but outlook finds duplicate mails on every send and receive. Now I have 1051 emails in Outlook.

This is precisely the problem I have with Outlook 2016, Gmail and Windows 10.

It's started recently (after the last update). At the moment, I have over 10,000 duplicated emails. Luckily, Gmail controls whether emails are removed from the server, so Outlook has not succeeding in deleting my email archive.

It's an infuriating problem, and I do wish Microsoft would fix it.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 5:24 AM

• It's an infuriating problem, and I do wish Microsoft would fix it.

I don't understand a) how this bug was allowed to exist in the first place and b) why Microsoft can not just fix it - it used to work just fine now it no longer does - I have been quite happily using Outlook 2016 for a few months but it was only yesterday that I started having issues so it is not something fundamental to the application - just a buggy update. Even just some advice on how to roll back the update would be nice is it even possible on Outlook 2016/Windows10

• Edited by SNMORRIS Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:54 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Found same issue this morning, Outlook upgraded itself last night.

I usually leave 90 days of email on the server, so I can access upto 3 months while out on my iPhone.

This morning awoke to 10 new emails and an empty mailbox.

Hugely annoying for a feature that has previously worked without a problem? and has not changed?...

Sunday, February 21, 2016 10:29 AM
  • UPDATE: just spoke to microsoft (dutch) tech support for one hour on the phone, that I had to pay for. They say it is my email hoster, that is causing the problem, which is total bullshit, because I had outlook 2007 before and did never have any problems, until I upgraded to Windows 10 and Outlook 2016. Now they want me to install Outlook 2007 to show that the problem does not exist there. That means digging up the 2007 cdrom etc. I am getting very tired of this all! If it is microsoft to blame, I will have them repay my time AND the support / Phone costs.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I installed outlook 2007 and it works like a charm. So it is an Outlook 2016 bug. I called microsoft again and this time the support technician believed me. He found another case in Ireland that reports the same issue. He will go an contact microsoft if the bug is reported and give me feedback on it. Otherwise he will report it as a bug or get back to me for more information. Fingers crossed.

• Edited by martijndj Monday, February 22, 2016 1:59 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 12:08 PM
  • We are also having this issue at our office. I upgraded one of our workstations to Windows 10 Pro and Office 2016. With the default setting "Remove from server after 14 days" emails are being removed immediately. I've disabled the removal for now to see if that solves the issue until there is a patch or update for this. Definitely a bug!
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:20 PM
  • I just installed Office 2016 via 365 and same problem. I not happy!! I didn't want all those emails deleted.

• Edited by rchave Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:10 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:05 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems to be a hot issue with POP account in Outlook 2016. Could you please share the detailed Outlook version and Windows OS which the issue happens?

I would collect the information and forward your feedbacks to the Office product Team from internal channel. Waiting for any updates.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:44 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I can confirm that this is a bug and that the team is treating it as a high priority issue. I will post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks,

Anneliese from the Office Newsroom

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Windows 7 pro, sp1, up to date, ver 6.1.7601
    Outlook 2016, 16.0.6568.2025

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Windows 7, Office MSO (16.0.6528.1011) 32 bit

Another issue is that it periodically keeps uploading some previously loaded messages.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

Outlook version 16.0.6568.2025 (PL)

Windows 10 Pro 32bit (PL) ver. 1511 10586.104

regards,

Maciek

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:23 PM
  • We host a mail server and have had three clients call with complaints of duplicate emails and emails are being removed from the server.  All three are Outlook 2016.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:48 PM
  • Outlook version 16.0.6568.2025

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit sp1 Up to date

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:54 AM
  • Simon did come up with a workaround in thread
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/072012b1-62cf-4ca0-886e-a51706f2cb29/multiple-mail-retreive-after-office-update-to-version-16065682025?forum=Office2016setupdeploy

Here it is, tested and works for now:

Revert to prior version
              a) File, Office Account, Update Options, Disable updates
              b) Set a reminder on your calendar to re-enable updates ~April 1
              c) C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun>officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068
              d) Ref O16 version numbers, 
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt592918.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:28 AM
  • microsoft called me and confirmed it as a bug. Will be dealt with the next update. Good to hear that. I can confirm your workaround, reverting to the old version and disable updates will help for now.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:20 PM
  • did it work?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:47 PM
  • We are having same problem.

Fully patched Windows 7 pro/Office 2016

Removes pop email from server in spite of settings in Outlook

Beth Wilkinson

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:28 PM
  • While I'm a home user, I didn't expect the horrendous treatment from the tech I was just on the phone with. He insisted that this site was not related to Microsoft, that there were no Microsoft representatives here, that there is no problem with Outlook, and that I needed to turn on my computer and run Outlook so he could diagnose the problem. When I told him that this would delete my Pop3 emails, he said that he couldn't help me unless I turned it on. You really need to work on technical support - I don't expect this from Microsoft.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 1:25 AM
  • any news on this issue?

Friday, February 26, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Friday, February 26, 2016 11:51 PM
  • It didn't work for me. Outlook still deletes mails from server.
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Windows 10 and Outlook 2016 2016 MSO (16.0.6528.1011) 32 bit

This began after I upgraded the OS and Outlook last week.  For now, I will have to shut down the email on my home PC so that I can see the email on my phone during the day. 

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:46 AM
  • Hi everyone,

It is a known issue with POP3 connection in Outlook 2016 (version 16.0.6568.2025). And Microsoft has provided two workaround for this issue in KB 3145116:
    Method 1: Use IMAP instead of POP3
    Method 2: Revert to an earlier version of Office 2016

Email is deleted from server or duplicated in Outlook 2016 when downloaded using POP3
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145116
    Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in the KB above when the information becomes available.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Hi All, I am having the same problems. Outlook 2016 did an automatic update last week and I use a POP3 server. Outlook now at times deletes emails from the Server despite it being checked to "Leave a copy of email on server". Now I can't access my emails from both my laptop & office pc. It is also sending me duplicate emails randomly. Does anyone know when Microsoft will be fixing this issue. Thanks

Friday, March 4, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I have an important message for you from the Outlook team:

We have a fix for both POP3 bugs: duplicate emails and server-side mail deletion. The fix should roll out in the next couple of days, and once it’s available, we’ll let you know.

Please allow us to take this moment to apologize to everyone who has been affected by these bugs. We do not take lightly the trust our customers place in our application, we understand the pain this bug has caused, and we know we have work to do to earn back your trust. We’re sorry. Outlook’s senior managers are aware of this bug, and our team has been working around the clock to implement and validate the fix. We explored options for pushing an update more quickly, but the options we had available to us didn’t fully resolve the bugs, so we focused instead on developing a full solution, which took more time than we would have liked. Once the fix is fully deployed, our team will be doing a full management review of what went wrong, and how we can do better.

Thanks for your patience here. We'll post another update just as soon as the fix is available.

Anahita Bahrami

Saturday, March 5, 2016 12:03 AM
  • Hi everyone,

The issue with POP accounts in Outlook 2016 has been resolved. Please see an update here.

Thank you!

Anahita Bahrami

Saturday, March 5, 2016 3:35 AM
  • The Outlook bug deleted emails from Gmail (and presumably other) server(s).  Does Microsoft have a plan so that impacted Outlook users will be able to recover these emails?
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:54 PM