none
Remove desktop shortcuts for different users

Question

• I'm creating a new user account in windows 7.  Many of the desktop shortcuts on my admin user account are shortcuts I do not want for the new user account.  However, when I delete them from the desktop of the new user account, they get deleted from my admin desktop as well.  How can I modify the desktop for the secondary user account so that the desktop shortcuts remain on my admin user account, but not the secondary user account desktop?
    Monday, May 24, 2010 10:56 PM

Answers

• This should not happen. Have you redirected the Desktop folder for every users? Have you configured to share the one Desktop folder with all users? If so please change the configuration. Create separated folders for the Desktop folder for each user profile. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:09 AM
  • i think you are describing the merged view of Desktop folders.

first, an example of merging you see everyday:  click startmenu, then right-click All Programs.  it's confusing at first glance, but notice the two options  Open vs Open All Users.  open a window once for each and compare.  they point at what are basically private and public startmenu folders.  these get merged together in your startmenu view.

similarly, open explorer and find the Users folder.  notice there is "You", and also Default, and also Public.  each of these contains its own Desktop folder.  i'm not fresh today on the details, but i believe it's the Public.Desktop folder that gets merged with your You.Desktop folder to create your desktop view.  check if the shortcuts you are making are going into your personal Desktop, or into the Public Desktop.

that is:   c:\users\you\desktop   vs   c:\users\public\desktop

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:35 AM

All replies

• This should not happen. Have you redirected the Desktop folder for every users? Have you configured to share the one Desktop folder with all users? If so please change the configuration. Create separated folders for the Desktop folder for each user profile. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:09 AM
  • i think you are describing the merged view of Desktop folders.

first, an example of merging you see everyday:  click startmenu, then right-click All Programs.  it's confusing at first glance, but notice the two options  Open vs Open All Users.  open a window once for each and compare.  they point at what are basically private and public startmenu folders.  these get merged together in your startmenu view.

similarly, open explorer and find the Users folder.  notice there is "You", and also Default, and also Public.  each of these contains its own Desktop folder.  i'm not fresh today on the details, but i believe it's the Public.Desktop folder that gets merged with your You.Desktop folder to create your desktop view.  check if the shortcuts you are making are going into your personal Desktop, or into the Public Desktop.

that is:   c:\users\you\desktop   vs   c:\users\public\desktop

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:35 AM