Interactive Logon Text RRS feed

• Question

• For legal purposes, we need to display a three paragraph message before the User logs on.

We are trying to use Interactive Logon Text policy and want a blank space line between the paragraphs. Please help.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:36 AM

Answers

• I have managed to do it by

Switch on the Numlock.

GPedit.msc

<Text>

Press Alt key and 255 on numeric keypad (generates a blank space)

<Text>

Works like a charm.

• Marked as answer by 3M3M3M Friday, October 27, 2017 9:32 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After my research, I’m afraid we cannot do like that, it seems made by design.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 27, 2017 5:08 AM
  • I've seen various approaches to dealing with carriage returns. The easiest one was to add hyphens (-) to separate the returns: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/548a33b2-0237-4db3-9a16-89437bf9ee66/display-formatted-legal-notices?forum=winserverGP

Back in Windows 2008 days, there was a script from the Group Policy team to format legal notice. I have no idea if it still works, but you could give it a go: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2008/02/08/deploying-legal-notices-to-domain-computers-using-group-policy/

Some additional resources you may find helpful:

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, October 27, 2017 6:57 AM
  • I have managed to do it by

Switch on the Numlock.

GPedit.msc

<Text>

Press Alt key and 255 on numeric keypad (generates a blank space)

<Text>

Works like a charm.

• Marked as answer by 3M3M3M Friday, October 27, 2017 9:32 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 9:32 AM
  • I spent a fair amount of time digging into this recently and found bits and pieces of what to do.  Luckily someone way before me did this on my domain so I was able to combine what I found online with what they did.  See below, for what worked for me.  

- Create a gpo named however you like.

- Modify the  gpo and set the following values to anything

- Computer config>policies>windows settings>security settings>local policies>security options

- Interactive Logon: Message text for users attempting to log on

- Interactive logon: message title for users attempting to log on

- Document the guid of the gpo

- Browse the sysvol policies folder of the primary dc, go to the path below accounting for a different guid:

- \\yourprimaryDC\SYSVOL\yourdomain.com\Policies\{gpoguid}\Machine\microsoft\windows nt\SecEdit

- Backup and then modify the gpttmpl.inf file, you may have to do some extra work to get around uac

- the entire formatted text runs together, no manual carriage returns

- Single carriage starts right at the period of the previous line: comma space (, )  don't use the () in any of these examples

- Double carriage return starts right at the period of the previous line: comma space quote space quote comma space (, " ", )

- all commas have to be surrounded in quotes: quote comma quote (",")

- quotations all have to be surrounded in quotations: quote quote quote (""")

- In the example below i don't think it matters which order the two registry values are in.  I just maintained what I had.

[Unicode]
    Unicode=yes
    [Version]
    signature="$whatever it is already$"
    Revision=1
    [Registry Values]
    MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\LegalNoticeText=7,First line, SECOND line with comma"," continued paragraph., " ", NEXT paragraph with empty line above it. You can put """quotes""" around things as well.
    MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\LegalNoticeCaption=1,Any title you like

Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:01 PM