none
VHD vs partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences or advantages/disadvantages in Windows 7 between a VHD created from a file (in C:) and just a regular partition ?

For instance, which one will have more possibilities of "surviving" a disk failure and recover the data?

Thank you in advance.

Mrh.lpa
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi there.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences or advantages/disadvantages in Windows 7 between a VHD created from a file (in C:) and just a regular partition ?

For instance, which one will have more possibilities of "surviving" a disk failure and recover the data?

Thank you in advance.

Mrh.lpa

To start with the negatives,

1. There is a performance difference on I/O intensive task due to the accessing of the virtual drive within an existing partition.
    2. A physical drive failing (bad clusters) will still affect the VHD maybe even more so since it depends on where the bad cluster sits within the physical layout of the VHD file.

Positives:
    1. a Vhd file can be moved from computer to computer and mounted off any disc array transparent to the Guest OS.
    2. Easier to backup
    3. More portable, Compressible and disc space can be managed better.
    4. disc Image is the size of the actual data (plus a little) and not the actual partition size.
    5. no need to ghost or use Acronis.
    6. Volume Snap shots

**On a fast disc system, larger cache write back enabled, fast disc , RAID 0 .. the performance difference can be hidden to the point it's virtually gone.
    a 16MB cache RAID 0 10K drive it will way out perform any standard SATA single drive.

my 2 cents.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

As I know, the differences may be relevant to the page file. The page file is inside the VHD if the VHD is created from a file (in C:), while the page file is created outside of the VHD file if the VHD is created on the loacal disk partition. For more information, please refer to the following documents:

Frequently Asked Questions: Virtual Hard Disks in Windows 7

Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, the differences may be relevant to the page file. The page file is inside the VHD if the VHD is created from a file (in C:), while the page file is created outside of the VHD file if the VHD is created on the loacal disk partition. For more information, please refer to the following documents:

Frequently Asked Questions: Virtual Hard Disks in Windows 7

Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi there.

Thank you in advance.

Mrh.lpa

To start with the negatives,

1. There is a performance difference on I/O intensive task due to the accessing of the virtual drive within an existing partition.
    2. A physical drive failing (bad clusters) will still affect the VHD maybe even more so since it depends on where the bad cluster sits within the physical layout of the VHD file.

Positives:
    1. a Vhd file can be moved from computer to computer and mounted off any disc array transparent to the Guest OS.
    2. Easier to backup
    3. More portable, Compressible and disc space can be managed better.
    4. disc Image is the size of the actual data (plus a little) and not the actual partition size.
    5. no need to ghost or use Acronis.
    6. Volume Snap shots

**On a fast disc system, larger cache write back enabled, fast disc , RAID 0 .. the performance difference can be hidden to the point it's virtually gone.
    a 16MB cache RAID 0 10K drive it will way out perform any standard SATA single drive.

my 2 cents.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Very, very late indeed, I know..

But nonetheless:  thank you very much for the above.
    I more or less had the same question here on the forum.

Above addresses that question. I was referred to the above.

What are the pros and cons of a Bitlocker encrypted VHD vs encrypted partition?

Again, thanks!

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:28 PM