none
Free upgrade from Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit

Question

• I read somewhere that Microsoft will send a 64-bit installation disk if I currently have a 32-bit disk. I found out just recently that my processor is actually 64-bit compatible. However, I am trying to get in contact with them by phone, yet they need my Product ID. I have a valid Product ID on my computer and support.microsoft.com is rejecting it. Is there another way to get in contact with them to get this upgrade?
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:22 PM

Answers

• If you purchased a Retail version of Windows 7 you usually receive both the 32-bit and the 64-bit DVDs in the same package and you may install either version.  Your Product ID is probably being rejected because it is an OEM Product ID.

Contact your computer manufacturer about obtaining a 64-bit DVD.  I don't know if the OEM versions that come on brand name computers allow you to change.  You would need to talk to the manufacturer Customer Service.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by bjbrown94 Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:54 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• If you purchased a Retail version of Windows 7 you usually receive both the 32-bit and the 64-bit DVDs in the same package and you may install either version.  Your Product ID is probably being rejected because it is an OEM Product ID.

Contact your computer manufacturer about obtaining a 64-bit DVD.  I don't know if the OEM versions that come on brand name computers allow you to change.  You would need to talk to the manufacturer Customer Service.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by bjbrown94 Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:54 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:55 PM
  • I purchased 32 bit as a student version, though. It did not come with my computer. Do you think I need to contact the place from where I actually purchased it?
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Yes, the place you bought it from would be the first step.

If you bought Windows from the Microsoft Store online you can log back into your account and select the correct bit level to download, then download it.

If needed:

How to replace Microsoft software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:52 PM