Expected Vista--found XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm doing a volunteer (read pro bono) job for the local opera company.  Their four user network still runs XP Pro on the original Dell computers mostly because they're perennially broke.  The community foundation here offered to loan them extra pc's that they have had in storage.  When I set the new computers up and started them I found that they also were running XP Pro, but the license stickers on the boxes show it to be Vista.  Is there a source I can use to verify that these licenses are valid before I stick a Vista DVD into the machines to bring them back to oem?  The drives are really too small to dual boot and hold the amount of data that they want to keep immediately available.

The machines are Dell thin clients that look like they were probably refurbished or returned from lease before the community foundation acquired them.  They appear to be 8-10 years old so someone may have decided to reinstall XP and later decided to store them.

I don't want to leave them with a network that accesses the internet and has no real protection. 

Joe Grizich El Paso, TX

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:34 AM