none
After updating to Windows 8.1 Explorer.exe crashes RRS feed

• Question

• After updating to Windows 8.1 Explorer.exe crashes if I open it by using file explorer on my task bar, or when I right click on a folder or file. The error looks like this:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d251b
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d557d
    Exception code: 0xe06d7363
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000ab78
    Faulting process id: 0xd34
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cecd4afdfef2f6
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 9ec8eef2-393e-11e3-be98-bc5ff4669a6c
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Explorer crashes are mostly caused by an incompatible Shell Extension.

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer_full.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it (disable your AV Suite before importing the data, some tool block the keys). If you can't do this, run regedit.exe and import the registry file there!

When the Windows Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the dump file (compressed 7z or RAR to reduce the size) to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see which Shell extension is the cause.

After you generated the dumps, download and import this regfile:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer_full_uninstall.reg

to stop the dump creation.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Please disable the DLNA Shell Extension to prevent for a test.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions]

Under Shell Extensions, create a new Key named Blocked. In the right pane, create a String value named {289AF617-1CC3-42A6-926C-E6A863F0E3BA}

More info, you can refer to this blog.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/home_is_where_i_lay_my_head/archive/2013/06/30/windows-8-1-preview-explorer-exe-crashes.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:25 AM
  • this was an issue with the Preview and is fixed in the RTM

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:11 AM
    Answerer
  • this was an issue with the Preview and is fixed in the RTM

I have the release and am having the exact same issue.

Jonathan Ph.D. Out

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

Please disable the DLNA Shell Extension to prevent for a test.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions]

Under Shell Extensions, create a new Key named Blocked. In the right pane, create a String value named {289AF617-1CC3-42A6-926C-E6A863F0E3BA}

More info, you can refer to this blog.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/home_is_where_i_lay_my_head/archive/2013/06/30/windows-8-1-preview-explorer-exe-crashes.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

After reading the referenced blog, I noticed that Autodesk Inventor 2014 had been identified as a problem causing this issue.  Autodesk has released a service pack that fixed the problem for me.  I hope this helps.

Jonathan Ph.D. Out

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:08 AM
  • I also saw Autodesk Inventor crashes, but without a dmp this is pure speculation.

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello, you seem to have the only experience with this issue I'm having. I've seen on a few threads where you talk about Autodesk 2013 and explorer not playing nice together. I've tried a few of the solutions, but haven't had any Luck.

Would you be able to give another engineer a hand with this issue?  I'm also having issues getting my switchable graphics working again, but I had that working at one point after going to 8.0 last year, so I'll work on that a bit longer.

Any help is appreciated!

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:42 PM
  • what is your issue? Also the Explorer crashes? If yes,create dumps and upload them.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:06 AM
    Answerer
  • I just updated to Windows 8.1 2 days ago. I'm encountering the same kernelbase.dll explorer crash. In my case, explorer starts crashing as soon as I login and never stops. The only way I can do anything is to bring the system up in safe mode. I don't have autodesk, but I went ahead and added the registry entry anyway without any change. My system is unusable right now. Unless I can get a solution, I'll have to fall back to Windows 8 or switch to Ubuntu.
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:18 AM
  • do you see a folder called localdumps? if yes, zip and upload the dumps.

Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:22 AM
    Answerer
  • https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=A4A7CD6106978B41&id=A4A7CD6106978B41%21192

Let me know if that links works.  Thanks for the quick response.  There are 4 dumps which occurred right after booting up and changing to the desktop.

Saturday, November 23, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Norton seams to be the cause:

*******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Exception Analysis                                   *
    *                                                                             *
    *******************************************************************************

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for buShell.dll
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for buShell.dll
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sppc.dll
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sppc.dll
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for twinui.dll
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for thumbcache.dll

FAULTING_IP: 
    KERNELBASE!RaiseException+68
    00007ffc`15a0ab78 488b8c24c0000000 mov     rcx,qword ptr [rsp+0C0h]

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  APPLICATION_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  explorer.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc06d007e - <Unable to get error code text>

NTGLOBALFLAG:  0

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_FLAGS:  0

APP:  explorer.exe

STACK_TEXT:  
    ntdll!RtlRaiseException
    KERNELBASE!RaiseException
    buShell

IMAGE_NAME:  buShell.dll

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  APPLICATION_FAULT_c06d007e_buShell.dll!Unknown

Loaded symbol image file: buShell.dll
        Image path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security Suite\Engine64\21.1.0.18\buShell.dll

Saturday, November 23, 2013 8:39 PM
    Answerer
  • I uninstalled Norton and explorer stopped crashing. Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it.
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:22 PM
  • nice to hear this. Run the uninstall.reg to disable the dump creation.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:56 AM
    Answerer
  • No, it really wasn't. It probably should have been though.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:30 AM
  • I've noticed this problem recently. I haven't looked into it because i just noticed yesterday. But I installed 3dsMax 2014 at home recently as well. And it has some direct connect stuff for inventor files, probably translated through step files. I've used SAT before that if I needed nurbs data.

I'm not sure if I've done the latest service pack on that or not. I'll take that one home and see if it fixes it. 

I can't open explorer using the button, hitting Win+E (quickest way btw), or opening my docs. The only way I've found is to hit Win+R (run) and type in a path manually. C: works just fine. Then I can navigate as much as I want from there without crashing.

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:53 PM
  • I have found that on several computers, uninstalling a Norton product (Antivirus, 360, etc) has resolved the issue. This can be done by:

1. Pressing CTRL+ALT+Delete.

2. Click the Power icon in the bottom right corner.

3. While holding SHIFT, click Restart.

4. Select Troubleshoot.

5. Select Advanced Options.

6. Select Startup Settings.

7. Click Restart.

8. Select "Safe mode with networking" (or safe mode if you can download Norton Removal tool on another PC).

9. Download the "Norton Removal Tool" if you do not have it. Google "Norton Removal Tool", first link.

10. Run the Norton removal tool.

11. Restart.

That has fixed the issue for me on several machines as I mentioned. Although the problem may still be related to other software as well.

You may be able to reinstall the Norton product afterwards, however I have not tried this yet.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 1:25 AM
  • How do you generate and where do you find the dumps?

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:25 AM
  • How do i create the dumps and where do i find them?

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:33 AM
  • i do everthing, and this does work, I can send the dmp file for you?
    Friday, April 4, 2014 7:04 PM
  • DMP FILE:

https://tecnisa365-my.sharepoint.com/personal/guilherme_lima_tecnisa_com_br/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=8m6sF7N7W82E1URZxXZxRRJQ9kQWQ%2fTdMUgcHqTouXM%3d&docid=1df7195496849440081cea6130b79e42e

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Andre,

I appreciate the work you're doing here.  I've posted my dump files here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7B301F7F7D4C4645%21298

This error manifests itself every time I right-click an object in the Explorer window.  After I updated my registry with your entries I actually lost my taskbar and "Start", as well as the Windows key.  I closed windows, and used Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.  After restarting I could login but nothing other than a mouse-pointer appears on screen.  I waited for all drive activity to stop and used the power button to shutdown.  After restarting and logging in, I launched Task Manager and launched Explorer.exe as an additional task and was able to uninstall the registry entries, restart and I'm back to operations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Nelson Tech Support Servants of the Cross

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:02 PM
  • hi,

have you taken the backup of your pc before making the updates. If yes you plesae restore it.

Or try the windows restore feature that is built in windows 8.

Regards, Ravi Kumar

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

I'm Having the same problem as everyone else here.

My dumpfiles: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2CTY56hpMKYUhlX1FSVHZwNlE/edit?usp=sharing

Can anyone help with these dumpfiles?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:02 PM