none
The server synchronization web services is not working but WSUS via SCCM is working? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting this error: 

og Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Server Update Services
    Date:          6/27/2017 5:41:22 PM
    Event ID:      12032
    Task Category: 9
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      XX
    Description:
    The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working.

I use SCCM 2016 to deploy Windows updates.  WSUS must be working because I can open the WSUS management console and verify that a sync is happening successfully.  I was also able to deploy Windows update normally (Via SCCM) despite the error.

What else should I be checking? One thing I noticed though is that this error happens daily during around same time example  Every 5AM, 5PM, 11PM.

What could it be?

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

Thanks for the script.  We have a newly installed/configured SCCM 2016 server so I was hesitant to do this as I consider our server very new.  It's not yet too abused that I need to run this script.  However, I really appreciate letting me know of this script.  I will definitely keep this handy just in case I need it in the future.

This is what I did and has not received any alert yet...

• Open a command line on      SCCM server as administrator
    • Change to      folder c:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools
    • Type the following and hit      enter:
           wsusutil.exe UseCustomWebsite true
    • It should respond with the      port number WSUS is configured for (8530). Now type this and hit enter:
           wsusutil.exe CheckHealth
    • After a moment when report is done, I looked in the event log for the results.  I see event id 10000 which reports configuration is healthy. Hopefully the  UseCustomWebsite is all that's necessary.

I'm not exactly sure that this does but another expert has suggested that to me.  So far it works (no error reported since).

• Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi SwissMiss,

1. When the issue occurs, please restart the IIS, check if it could help;

2. Besides, please check if there are other web sites on the WSUS server IIS manager, it's not recommended to hold other sites on the WSUS server expect the default web site.

3. Check if there are any task schedule on 5am, 5pm, 11pm.

4. Also run Server Cleanup Wizard on the WSUS server, check if it could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi Anne,

1.  Whenever I look at IIS there is nothing wrong. It doesn't appear to be down, offline or unavailable.  

2. On the IIS manager, there is only Default Website (All related to SCCM) and WSUS Administration (we use SCCM to manage WSUS).

3. Synchronization of the updates run around those times.  However when I look at Update Services, synchronizations are successful.

4. I have a routine server cleanup maintenance on SCCM.  We don't clean up WSUS separately..

Friday, June 30, 2017 7:30 PM
  • I doubt any type of maintenance that SCCM has in regards to WSUS (if any) fails in comparison to my WSUS Cleanup Script.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Friday, June 30, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Hi SwissMiss,

Have you tried Adamj.org's script, could it work?

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for the script.  We have a newly installed/configured SCCM 2016 server so I was hesitant to do this as I consider our server very new.  It's not yet too abused that I need to run this script.  However, I really appreciate letting me know of this script.  I will definitely keep this handy just in case I need it in the future.

This is what I did and has not received any alert yet...

• Open a command line on      SCCM server as administrator
    • Change to      folder c:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools
    • Type the following and hit      enter:
           wsusutil.exe UseCustomWebsite true
    • It should respond with the      port number WSUS is configured for (8530). Now type this and hit enter:
           wsusutil.exe CheckHealth
    • After a moment when report is done, I looked in the event log for the results.  I see event id 10000 which reports configuration is healthy. Hopefully the  UseCustomWebsite is all that's necessary.

I'm not exactly sure that this does but another expert has suggested that to me.  So far it works (no error reported since).

• Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Hi Anne

Thanks for monitoring this thread. I posted an update.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Hi SwissMiss,

Glad to hear you have solved the issue and thanks for feeding back the resolution.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:19 AM
  • I'm glad you got it sorted. My script is more than just cleanup, but also regular maintenance from the ground up. If you're not going to use it now, definitely be on the look out for version 3 which will have performance increases of WSUS by about 1000-1500 times (no joke) due to indexing of the database. I'm hoping to release it within a couple of months.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:32 AM
  • Wow, Thank you! I will follow your website for the update. I appreciate it.
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:33 PM