none
PINK SCREEN OF DEATH FREEZE!!!!!!!!!NVIDIA PROBLEM????!! F###K

Question

• Im not sure if its a graphics problem, but after searching the net many have similar problems.

I am encountering the Pink Screen of death, to which is forcing my computer to shutdown. This pink screen of death is extremely annoying, as the desktop freezes..and all hardware stops working.

The computer then after a few seconds-minute (varies) turns itself off, however does display a blue screen of death claiming there was a driver error and other numerous codes. (Very hard to see- Extremely fast flash)

THIS IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING AS THIS OCCURS RANDOMLY, AND I CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FIX THIS, IS THERE A HOTFIX!?!!

I HAVE A NVIDIA 8500 GT DRIVER INSTALLED, HAS BEEN FUNCTIONING PERFECTLY FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS WITH NO PROBLEM UNTIL NOW. WTF DO I DO.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:20 AM

All replies

• You need to try a different video card.

Windows with generate a blue screen or the screen will remain black when Windows has a problem.

A pink screen usually indicates a failure of the video card.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by itsarijit21 Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:41 AM
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Make sure the fan on the video card is functional. While the computer case is open, also clean out the CPU heatsink/fan assembly with compressed air.

Jerry

• Proposed as answer by itsarijit21 Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:41 AM
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Please post a copy of your dumpfile as a shared file to your Sky Drive with a link here.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

For advice on how to configure your system to create dump files please read:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

The dumpfile will be created at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Type System information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. What is your BIOS version and date?

Download and run Speccy (freeware)
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy

What temperature is being recorded for your graphics card?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Please post a copy of your dumpfile as a shared file to your Sky Drive with a link here.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

For advice on how to configure your system to create dump files please read:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

The dumpfile will be created at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Type System information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. What is your BIOS version and date?

Download and run Speccy (freeware)
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy

What temperature is being recorded for your graphics card?

Hope this helps, Gerry

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER. I UNINSTALED, UPGRADED, REINSTALLED NVIDIA DRIVERS AND STILL TO NO AVAIL IT STILL GIVES ME THE PINK SCREEN AND FREEZES WHENEVER IT WANTS?!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Look at the picture that I have posted in regards to my graphics card, is this the problem? Will a new graphics card fix the problem?

Or is the error somewhere else? Everything else's temperature seems to be fine...

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:08 AM
  • This is exactly what it looks like, and so I lose all mobility in mouse, keyboard etc. SOon after it reboots itself.

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM GUYS!?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:13 AM
  • I looked for advice as to what the operating temperature for your GeForce 8500 GT should be. I found little to really help on the Nvidia site. The problem is that your Speccy report could be providing a figure when the card is not under pressure. Is there any correlation between problems and paying games?

This link provides some advice in a similar vein to an earlier reply:
    http://www.ehow.com/info_12156883_problems-geforce-8500-overheating.html

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:51 AM
  • So just to sum up, is my card dead?

Thing is, I don't play games on the computer (got an xbox for that), it happens randomly, can occur if I just leave my desktop on for 2 hours straight idle. (no screensaver)

So yea. Whats the deal...

Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:39 PM
  • I trust you no doubt, however do no know what VRAM is and what its function is.

If you could reply with a brief run-down of what is VRAM AND how I would fix this. Does a new graphics card fix the VRAM?

Thanks, appreciated.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:50 PM
  • VRAM is soldered to the video card, not possible to repair

all video cards have VRAM, its the buffer for the image being shown on the monitor

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Hence the neccessity to get a new video card? Just to reconfirm, getting a new video card will fix my issue for good. Correct?
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Got any suggestions at a "good" PSU? :) My computers has been running perfectly from 2008 till now with no problem. Finally it's decided to mess up on me.

What would you suggest for the vid. card for someone that doesn't really play any games, rather watches movies/youtube videos etc.

• Edited by JAIZIk Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:12 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:12 PM
  • It seems like a monitor issue. Please have a test with another monitor.

In the meantime, I suggest you contact the manufacture for assistance.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Ivan-Liu Monday, June 18, 2012 7:23 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 7:23 AM
  • It seems like a monitor issue. Please have a test with another monitor.

In the meantime, I suggest you contact the manufacture for assistance.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

I have already tried that, tried a reinstall of drivers etc. 

I am beginning to believe it is something to do with my graphics driver, as the temperature it is displaying when idle (no games being played, or internet open) is quite high...

To further bolster my claim about it not being a monitor issue, if there was a monitor issue the computer would not crash and then restart itself. It is a hardware issue, as with a monitor issue the display would turn black etc..and not glitch the entire system.

Now I have the problem of finding a new graphics card..

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:45 AM
  • my GTX 260 at idle runs at 45C give or take 1 degree. Loaded its about 75-8C.

If your chassis has few fans it could be getting too warm, how many fans and where are they in your chassis

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Not sure for certain, but an estimate is that I have a fan where the PSU is, a fan on some kind of motherboard and another fan somewhere else.

You see, the thing is, I have had this computer for the last 5 years with no problem. Literally, I have not had to replace any component. 

So a pink screen, which crashes my computer frequently is quite surprising as, its clear its some kind of hardware problem, just unsure if a new videocard will actually do the trick, or if its something more serious. (I have attempted system restores, and no matter how far I go back, nothing changes.)

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Two utilities

CPU-Z
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    GPU-Z
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I have used these and similar video cards. There were crashes of digital part of video card and analog part continued to work flawlessly. This is the right time to change the card.

Regards

Milos

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:23 PM
  • And then what? I've already got CPU-Z and GPU-Z. HOw does this help?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:59 PM
  • WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER~!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Any upgrade of video card is problematic, I guess. The present video card is PCI-E version 1.1 - new generation of video cards is using higher version. The choice points to older video cards.

Accept the fact that the video card has gone. Make some simple calculations if the purchase of older video card at the prospect of limiter life expectancy 1-2 years is balanced with new computer that would live another 6-7 years.

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:52 PM
  • 66 degrees C is way too hot for a GPU at idle (0% load)

Is the Fan on the card running?

Have you cleaned the GPU heatsink of dust?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:58 PM