none
Canon MX850 multi-function network

Question

• HI all, I have a Canon MX850 multi-function that is plugged into the network.

Windows 7 automatically detected it and installed the WS driver for it, but the scanner and fax part are not recognized and I cannot get the canon drivers for Vista to pick up the printer over the network.

Any incites on how I can get my scanning and faxing back without having to resort to a usb cable??? 
    • Moved by OthorvathMVP, Moderator Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:36 AM (Moved from Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment to Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:43 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback JohnGalt. I have passed it along to the relevant folks to see how we can better meet the expectations of Windows customers like you.
    Ashay Chaudhary - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by JohnGalt Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:00 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:49 AM

All replies

• Perhaps the following will help you troubleshoot your issue:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Device/DeviceExperience/MfpDevExp.mspx
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:14 AM
  • I also found that page, and it works great if it's a USB device. The problem is that it doesn't appear to work correctly when the device is a network multi-function. This will be a major issue when Windows 7 is released if it isn't addressed and the device doesn't show up with all 3 components available.

Anyone have any luck getting this to work?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:22 PM
  • I am also having this issue. I can't get the printer to print a test page or work at all as a network printer.
    Friday, February 06, 2009 4:31 PM
  •  
    JohnGalt said:
    I have a Canon MX850 multi-function that is plugged into the network.

Windows 7 automatically detected it and installed the WS driver for it

It is a little confusing that Win7 just found the network printer by itself and then installed it. Normally one has to initiate the action using the Add a Printer wizard or Add a device wizard.

Can you elaborate on the exact steps you took?

W Scott Stewart said:

I am also having this issue. I can't get the printer to print a test page or work at all as a network printer.

Can you elaborate on this too?

Ashay Chaudhary - MSFT
    Friday, February 06, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Mine worked fine and showed up with the WS driver for the printer.

The problem is that the scanner and fax DON'T show up.  Which makes it a really expensive printer and nothing more. Windows 7 needs to detect the printer, the fax, and the scanner and install all of the drivers automatically. (or allow the old software to work so that I can use the drivers from Canon)

Friday, February 06, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Understood. If the unit does not implement WS-Scan then network scan functionality will not be available in Windows. It appears that only WS-Print is implemented in this model, so that's what you are experiencing.

If you need the scan functionality then I suggest you connect the unit to the PC via USB, and install the drivers to get Print, Scan & Fax to work for you.
    Ashay Chaudhary - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:39 AM
  • I assume that you realize that what you just said is going to cause major support issues right? (both for you AND Canon)

If it only supports WS for printing, then I should still be able ot install the network drivers from Canon and get the rest of the functionality.

And when I do that, Windows shouldn't insist on installing the damn WS driver too over and over again every time I delete the thing because I have another driver installed that communicates directly.

I.E. This is one of those really really bad Windows experiences that make people love MACs because Steve Jobs would never allow it to go out the door with this PITA, so I'm hoping that you're going to do the right thing and figure out a way for this to degrade gracefully and work intelligently.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback JohnGalt. I have passed it along to the relevant folks to see how we can better meet the expectations of Windows customers like you.
    Ashay Chaudhary - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by JohnGalt Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:00 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Thank you :)
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Hi John---

I have the MX850 also, and it's plugged into my network, and I'm running Win7 beta (build 7000). I'm running the business version of Win7.

Your experience is interesting because I don't remember the printer 'auto-installing' when I plugged it into the network, and I tried to get it to auto-install again after deleting the printer from the folder. I was even able to intall the vendor's drivers off of their CD, (Afterwards) and everything seemed to work okay.

Maybe this problem is related to the type of Windows7 your're running (e.g. business, home, etc.) or the network type (homegroup, public, etc.) ???

So...just curious...what tpye of Win7 are you running and how is its network system configured?? 

-devon

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I'm using Ultimate edition, but the printer was already on the network before I installed, so I suspect that it detected it immediately. And I've confirmed that if I delete it, it comes back at some indeterminant time in the future.

When I go to install the network drivers for it, the canon install program (which is bad so there is lots to blame about this to Canon) can't find the printer no matter what I do, and it will only install in USB mode if I connect it via usb to do it. (which is stupid that I even have to consider doing that).

Hence I now have to drag the printer closer to the desk and plug it in usb just to use my scanner. PITA.
    • Proposed as answer by aphasia Saturday, May 09, 2009 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:04 PM
  • howdy all

after installing windows 7 x64 RC (build 7100), i had some problems installing the drivers for my canon MX850. i have several machines attached to my home network thus connecting my printer via USB wasn't an option. i even considered rolling back to an earlier version of windows as not having the printer connected via ethernet wasn't going to wash.

since i've decided to stick with Win7, i needed a way to connect my printer till at least canon comes up with fully functional drivers for this new platform.

i wouldn't consider this 'solution' particularly ideal but at least it works. i've accomplished this with a late copy of VMware workstation (6.5.2), disc imaging program Daemon Tools Lite (4.30.4) and an old copy of windows XP

firstly i installed VMware workstation and created a virtual machine with windows XP SP3. i only created a fairly modest VM for XP (1 processor, 768MB ram, 12GB HD). you could probably get away with a lot less resources as you are only using it to open a couple of word / excel docs to print from.

next i had to install the printer drivers on the VM. i could of gone the route of downloading the various drivers and software packages from canon and installing them one by one. instead i used Daemon tools to create an image of the original canon installation disc which i then mounted on the CD/DVD drive in my windows XP VM. once the image was mounted in the VM, the installation went smoothly.

the only thing left to do was to install Office and a PDF reader and all the functionality was returned to my printer (printer, scanning faxing etc). admittedly it was a bit cumbersome to switch between win7 desktop and the winXP VM machine, till i switched on 'Unity' from the VMware menu. to explain it better i've copied a snipit from VMware's help documentation...

"In virtual machines with Linux or Windows 2000 or later guest operating systems, you can switch to Unity mode to display applications directly on the host desktop. The taskbar displays items for open applications in Unity mode just as it does for open host applications.
    "

The virtual machine console view is hidden, and you can minimize the Workstation window.

You can use keyboard shortcuts to copy, cut, and paste text between applications on your host machine and virtual machine applications displayed in Unity mode. You can also drag and drop and copy and paste files between host and guest.

i guess this is kinda similar to how MS' 'VXP'  (Virtual XP for Windows 7) for  works

anyway i hope this is of use to others with a canon MX850 printer and Windows 7 x64 OS.

cheers.

• Edited by aphasia Saturday, May 09, 2009 4:48 PM broken text
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Thanks for the updates, Aphasia. I too, am waiting for Windows 7 drivers for the MX850. Otherwise I love Windows 7 and everything has been running extremely well.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:02 AM