none
Flash Drive not recognized by Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my Dell laptop to Vista this weekend and other than the usual problems with upgrade versions of software, everything went pretty well.

I tried to use my Kingston Data Traveler and Vista didn't recognize it.  So much for plug and pray.

So today I found a 1 GB Kodak thumb drive that claimed it was compatible with Vista and was only $10.

I tried to use it and it also asked me for the disk or to go to the manufacturers' website.

I browsed several other tech sites and tried pointing the upgrade tool to the system32 subfolder in the Windows folder.

This at least found the new device as a flash drive but didn't find the specific drive.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try following steps to see if the flash disk has existed:

1. Right click on “Computer” and choose management.

2. Expand to Storage-> Disk Management and check if the flash disk has been found.

If this is the case, right click on the flash disk and then choose change drive letter and paths to assign a new path. If not,  please contact the manufacturer and confirm whether updated driver for Windows Vista is in the works.

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try following steps to see if the flash disk has existed:

1. Right click on “Computer” and choose management.

2. Expand to Storage-> Disk Management and check if the flash disk has been found.

If this is the case, right click on the flash disk and then choose change drive letter and paths to assign a new path. If not,  please contact the manufacturer and confirm whether updated driver for Windows Vista is in the works.

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:35 AM
  •  

My Dell laptop recognized all flash drives before but now it only recognizes one of them. I tried what you said above but my flash disk had not been found.

My flash drivers are up to date and work on Vista( they did before at least)

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:37 AM
  • I have three different flash drives all by different manufacturers and not one will work on my computer with Vista Ultimate.  They are not recognising the drivers and all stated they were Vista ompatible.

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:45 PM