none
Windows 10 Remote Desktop Session Randomly Unexpectedly Exits and Terminates all apps - please help! RRS feed

• Question

• I remote desktop to my Window 10 Surface laptop via LAN (to use Outlook from the laptop) allowing me to create send/emails on the Surface laptop via remote desktop from my desktop PC. This has been working fine for 2+ years. Recently the Surface 10 has started ending the remote desktop session randomly perhaps 2 or 3 times per day. The worst parts is that it also terminates all running applications so when I can finally remote desktop back in my Outlook sessions have been lost. This is frustrating as I have lost a lot of drafted emails.

(I’ve setup Outlook to save every 1 minute but even so sometimes I lose the active email I'm working on in Outlook or recently received emails - I've lost lots of work because of this - it is driving me crazy.)

If I try to immediately log back in via RDP I sometimes get:

The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator

I wait and try again and I can log back in but all my applications have been terminated. Perhaps the user session is being logged out and back in – I can’t tell.

Why on earth would all apps be terminated - it's as if the Surface computer user session is logged out and terminates all running apps for absolutely no reason.

There are no failed attempts in System Event Log Security, only forced log off. I noticed over 100 Audit Success security events at same time:

Credential Manager credentials were read.
    Subject:
        Security ID:        DOMAIN\My Name
        Account Name:       My Name
        Account Domain:     DOMAIN
        Logon ID:           0x1A293A3D8
        Read Operation:     Enumerate Credentials
    This event occurs when a user performs a read operation on stored credentials in Credential Manager.

This is then followed with:

An account was logged off.
    Logon Type:         3

This event is generated when a logon session is destroyed. 
    It may be positively correlated with a logon event using the Logon ID value. 
    Logon IDs are only unique between reboots on the same computer.

Windows System Events at arounds this time shows a number of Errors:

The server {AAC1009F-AB33-48F9-9A21-7F5B88426A2E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    The system is exiting connected standby 

Reason: Input Keyboard.
    A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Sync Host_1a14de225 service to connect.
    A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Push 

Notifications User Service_1a14de225 service to connect.
    The Clipboard User Service_1a14de225 service failed to start due to the following error: 
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
    A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Clipboard User Service_1a14de225 service to connect.

The Connected Devices Platform User Service_1a14de225 service failed to start due to the following error: 
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
    A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Connected Devices Platform User Service_1a14de225 service to connect.

The Clipboard User Service_1a14de225 service terminated unexpectedly. 
    It has done this 1 time(s). 
    The following corrective action will be taken in 3000 milliseconds: 
    Restart the service.

The Sync Host_1a14de225 service terminated unexpectedly. 
    The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: 
    Restart the service.

The Windows Push Notifications User Service_1a14de225 service terminated unexpectedly.
    The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds:
    Restart the service.

Note, I posted this at https://superuser.com/questions/1484818/windows-10-remote-desktop-session-randomly-unexpectedly-terminates 

But no-one could help there.  This is really driving me crazy as I am losing emails on a daily basis

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:41 PM

All replies

• HI
    "Why on earth would all apps be terminated - it's as if the Surface computer user session is logged out and terminates all running apps for absolutely no reason."
    1.what's the detail model of your surface computer and what's the hardware parameter of your surface computer ?
    2.is your surface computer added in intune Azure AD or is your surface computer added in local AD domain?
    3.can you enter winver in command prompt on both desktop win10 computer and laptop win10 computer then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    4.if you use your desktop computer to remote access other computer ,will the same problem happen ?
    5.run below command in command prompt(open as admin) on surface computer,is there any error fix information?
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth 
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    6.if you do a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) on win10 surface computer then only use edge to go to OWA website(https://outlook.office365.com) .I think you can also edit your email in OWA.
    This method can test if there are third party softwares cause your issue.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:36 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:23 AM
  • 1. Surface Laptop 2 - how can I find more info?

2. No

3. Both are: 1903 18362.476

4. The issue occurs only once or twice per day (i.e. with computer connected to laptop) so I cannot currently test this the other way around (I use 4 monitors on my main PC)

5. No issues found with

sfc /scannow

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Image Version: 10.0.18362.476

[==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.

The operation completed successfully.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1
    Image Version: 10.0.18362.476
    [==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:25 PM
  • > If you do a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) on win10 surface computer then only use edge to go to OWA website(https://outlook.office365.com) .I think you can also edit your email in OWA. This method can test if there are third party softwares cause your issue.

Please explain further.  What is OWS website at https://outlook.office365.com - where is this test you mention?

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:35 PM
  • HI
    6.enter msinfo32 in command prompt on surface laptop 2 .
    7.what's email vendor do you use ?
    if you use mirosoft O365 ,we can enter https://outlook.office365.com in your browser on surface or your desktop computer .
    if you use third party email vendor ,can you tell which email vendor do you use ?
    8.for your issue ,you need enough memory to support for 4 monitor remote session requirement.or you only use one monitor on surface computer?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:39 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:24 AM