none
will NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 work in Windows 7?

Question

• I am getting ready to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.  It is on an HP DV2200, running Vista Home Premium with an Itel Core2 CPU T5200 @1.60GHz processor.  And it has the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 GPU.

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it informed me that Windows Aero will not work on my computer because my current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero interface.  I'm surprised by that message since this computer seems to fall within all of the minimum system requirements.

I checked the NVIDIA website for a Windows 7 driver for the GeForce Go 7200 GPU, but it says that one is not available.  I am currently running the most updated version for Vista, 179.48.  http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_179.48_beta.html

My question is this:   Do you think that I will be able to run Windows 7 Home Premium on this computer with my current driver?  Can I run it in Vista compatibility mode?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I appreciate it.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

• Your GPU will work.  The windows upgrade advisor is pretty dumb on video cards, because it only tests direct x 9.0 and how much video memory is installed.  So if you had a desktop runing a geforce 5200 with 128mb vram, it would say it was good.

You moble gpu only has 32mb embeded memory on chip. It takes the rest from RAM you install on your laptop.  This is called shared memory.  This the reason why your laptop would report less memory than is installed. That memory is set aside for your GPU.

If you can't find win7 drivers, use the latest vista drivers for your version (32-bit or 64-bit).   win 7 is basically vista just tweeked with community input (feedback). 

7 is just a repackaging of vista, but a good one. 
    • Marked as answer by gpzbc Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• What is the graphics memory of the GPU? (right click desktop, select Screen Resolution, click advanced settings, post memory amounts given.)

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Thank you for your quick reply!

Chip Type: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Adapter String: GeForce Go 7200
    Bios Info: Version 5.72.22.43.61
    Driver Version: 179.48
    Core Clock: 450 MHz
    Memory Clock: 700 MHz (1400 MHz data rate)
    Memory Interface: 32-bit
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x16

Total Available Graphics Memory: 527 MB
    Dedicated Video Memory: 32 MB
    System Video Memory: 0 MB
    Shared System Memory: 495 MB

I'm probably showing my ignorance, but why does the specs sheet for this computer list the GPU memory as 128MB?

I guess what confuses me is that Aero works fine in Vista.  Is the Windows 7 Aero more demanding?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:02 PM
  • I guess it is more demanding, as win7 requires that your card have at least 64 MB of memory to run Aero, although you might try installing the 90-day win7 RTM trial as a dual-boot setup with Vista and see if Aero works on win7 with your comp before you move from Vista to win7.

Can you show me the spec list link please?
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Well, I wish I could find the official HP spec sheet on their website, but that is proving to be elusive at the moment.   I did save a copy of the order confirmation when I purchased the computer.  Here are the specs from that page.
    http://screencast.com/t/UxagUHo2

I'm not sure if that is helpful or not.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Your GPU will work.  The windows upgrade advisor is pretty dumb on video cards, because it only tests direct x 9.0 and how much video memory is installed.  So if you had a desktop runing a geforce 5200 with 128mb vram, it would say it was good.

You moble gpu only has 32mb embeded memory on chip. It takes the rest from RAM you install on your laptop.  This is called shared memory.  This the reason why your laptop would report less memory than is installed. That memory is set aside for your GPU.

If you can't find win7 drivers, use the latest vista drivers for your version (32-bit or 64-bit).   win 7 is basically vista just tweeked with community input (feedback). 

7 is just a repackaging of vista, but a good one. 
    • Marked as answer by gpzbc Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Thank you for your help, takezo808 and JoelbX.  I sincerely appreciate it.

I forgot that a portion of the 128 MB is shared.  So that makes sense.

And speaking of the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, I was using the beta version when I received that incompatibility message about Aero.  I found out that the final version of the Upgrade Advisor was released today.  When I downloaded it and ran it, there was no longer the incompatibility message about Aero.  So perhaps they fixed its dumbness!

I'm looking forward to Win7, and I will keep this thread updated if I find out anything quirky when I do the win7 install.
    Thanks again!
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Just for reference, I have a laptop which has a GeForce Go 6200 (shared 128 RAM). Aero can be turned on --- but as it is an old computer, after turn on Aero it will freeze in half an hour.

Your HP is better than this one so I think it worth to have a test. Of course as we cannot confirm the result, as JoelbX mentioned, we can also try to install the 90-day win7 RTM to test before getting a retail one.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:20 AM
  • I think the dual boot is good advice.  Unfortunately, I have already purchased Windows 7.  I guess I just assumed everything would work since it all works fine in Vista.  Fortunately, I only paid $30 for it since I am a student.

But I may still try dual-booting it initially to make sure it works before I get rid of Vista.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Woohoo!!  It worked perfectly!  No problems at all.  It couldn't have been easier.  In fact, I didn't have to do anything.  I just did a fresh install and Windows found a compatible driver. 
    Great!
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Great glad it worked! Guess sometimes the Upgrade advisor makes mistakes..
    - JoelbX
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:18 PM