none
Running Win PE From RAM Disk Causes Setup to Misplace Hard Disk Drivers? RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to get Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Setup installed to one of my hard disk partitions (note: the setup, not te OS) and after successfully getting the boot menu option item to appear and properly configured to run setup, I found myself able to get all the way through setup to the point where one would ordinarily expect the partion selection window to appear.  But instead of the list of drive partitions in the window, I get an empty window with a dialogue in front informing me Windows couldn't locate drivers for the hard disk(s).

Puzzled, I tried to inspect the boot configuration, windows image, etc.  All looks correct. I also tried using my Vista CD (32-bit edition) to boot setup and it works fine - including the part that lists the drives partition selection.

I don't know what I've done wrong, but in case it is the boot configuration, here's the link to the TechNet article who's instructions I followed to get Setup to run on the partition in question:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/cc721886.aspx

The pertinent section of the article is toward the end - beginning with "How to create an entry to boot a WIM image from hard disk".

The idea here is to create a RAM disk device that hosts Setup, I think. My ultimate goal is to have Vista (x64) Setup running from the secondary hard disk partition to my main system partition.  (The idea is that this would serve as a means to re-install Windows Vista x64 at will from the secondary partition, without running from a CD.) In any event, if anyone has a clue why the hard disk(s) aren't showing up - it would be greatly appreciated if someone would fill me in.

Thanks!
    Ross is a .NET developer based in Gatineau, Québec (Canada), working with the Government of Canada.

P.S. Forgot to mention: I also tried placing my hard drives in a folder visible to Setup and then specifying that location when prompted by Setup, but it seems Setup can't see the drivers for some reason...  Argh!
    • Edited by Ross Holder Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:45 PM drivers were specified during setup
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Ross,

Thanks for providing the screen shot that helps me to know your current situation clearly.

According to the error message, it may be a problem with an unsupported chipset. You might first contact your motherboard and hard drive manufacturer/ go to their official website to obtain the 64-bit drivers and copy the appropriate drivers to a CD/floppy/USB flash drive to use during the load driver session. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ross Holder Monday, May 4, 2009 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 11, 2009 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:36 AM

All replies

• Just to illustrate the point at which Setup prompts for the missing drivers:

Link to screenshot of Win PE driver selection window

Click on the image (or here) to get a fuill image view.

Again, this is what one sees after creating a boot partition that runs Setup .exe using the options from the article I quoted.  One thought that occurs is that it might be expected one use the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) to update the image file referenced in the boot configuration.  But I haven't seen anything specifically saying this and in a way it seems very odd that on a CD the .wim file boots without issue.  I mean, there's no tangible difference between the .wim file on the CD (which works) and the .wim file on my Vista x64 partition (which doesn't work.)

Although the TechNet article cited in the previous post outlines the steps I used to create the Vista x64 Setup partition, I saved the text from the cmd window to a text file, so may as well include that here too:

D:\>bcdedit /create /d "Windows Vista x64 Setup" /application OSLOADER
    The entry {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} was successfully created.

D:\>bcdedit /set {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} device ramdisk=[d:]\WinX64\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    The operation completed successfully.

D:\>bcdedit /set {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} path \windows\system32\winload.exe

D:\>bcdedit /set {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} osdevice ramdisk=[d:]\WinX64\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

D:\>bcdedit /set {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} systemroot \windows

D:\>bcdedit /set {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} winpe yes

D:\>bcdedit /set {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} detecthal yes

D:\>bcdedit /displayorder {0155a66b-314f-11de-ad95-001e9006d88f} /addlast

D:\>msconfig

D:\>

I admit, it's totally posible the boot configuration I used has nothing to do with this issue and for some reason I've overlooked I do have to upate the .wim file on the partition in question with drivers for my hard drive.  In any case; any/all help very much appreciated!

Ross is a .NET developer based in Gatineau, Québec (Canada), working with the Government of Canada.
    • Edited by Ross Holder Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:50 PM eliminated extra spaces inserted into code block
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Hello Ross,

Thanks for providing the screen shot that helps me to know your current situation clearly.

According to the error message, it may be a problem with an unsupported chipset. You might first contact your motherboard and hard drive manufacturer/ go to their official website to obtain the 64-bit drivers and copy the appropriate drivers to a CD/floppy/USB flash drive to use during the load driver session. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ross Holder Monday, May 4, 2009 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 11, 2009 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:36 AM
  • Andy:

Thank-you for your reply!  I will try to acquire motherboard dirvers and copy them to a folder on the setup boot partition appropriately.  However, I'm puzzled.  If I can successfully boot using the 32-bit Windows Vista CD (apparently, hard disk drivers are detected using that method) why would making new motherboard drivers available to the 64-bit setup make any difference?  Are not the two setup environments 32-bit?  (i.e. is not the 64-bit setup environment - or Windows PE - a 32-bit environment, the same as that used during 32-bit setup?)

Update(s) to follow shortly....

Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Just a quick update....

I have spent the last week looking for drivers.  I've narrowed down the problem to the CD/DVD-ROM drivers which shipped with the computer; an HP Pavilion a6318f desktop PC.  Apparently, the x64 version of these drivers are not provided by Microsoft, even though the x86 version of the drivers are, which is why my x86 Windows Vista Setup works fine.  Despite my efforts, I've been completely unable to locate x64 drivers for the TSSTCorp H653N CD/DVD-ROM.  HP support has been less than helpful.  (Their staff have rather evasive; one suggesting in her response that I try http://www.windowsupdate.com because Microsoft hosts drivers for the CD/DVD-ROM.  In my reponse I may have been a little terse in pointing out that this was unhelpful both because on Vista the Windows Update website asks you to use the Windows Update service from your Control Panel, and because when using Vista x86, Windows Update won't download the x64 drivers - it'll download only the x86 drivers.)  And now it seems HP support isn't responding to my emails on this ticket anymore with my last message going unresponded to for 3 days now.  (They usually respond within a couple hours.)

So, I'm stuck.  If anyone out there has x64 Vista drivers for the TSST Corp H653N CD/DVD-ROM, it would be very much appreciated.  Heck, I'd even take the pertinent *.inf, *.sys, and *.dll files from a successful x64 Vista deployment from another HP Pavilion a6318f and try that out at this point!  I've spent a lot of time researching this problem (over a week now) and really could use some help.

I've started a thread earlier this afternoon on HP's support forms as well: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OSandSW&thread.id=366&view=by_date_ascending&page=2.

And, will likely post an article on my personal blog later on tonight with the full discourse of my exchange with HP support.  It should provide some entertaining reading if nothing else....

Gratefully,
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Er, Andy...  Sorry to disagree with the assessment of "answered" here, but my problem is most definiitely not solved.  And I just posted a request to this thread to anyone who has knowledge of the needed drivers to share that info.

Rest assured, when this issue is properly solved I will update this thread as part of my celebration.  (Believe me, if someone can offer help to resolve this issue, it will be the least I can do to show the proper gratitude.  It's been driving me crazy for well over a week now....)

Monday, May 4, 2009 5:09 AM