none
Windows Server 2008 Print Server - High CPU Usage

Question

• Hi,

I have a question about Print Server process, If anyone could help me I appreciate:

- I have a Windows Server 2008 Std, 32 bit, 1 GB of RAM and 2.6 GHZ of CPU that has Print Server Role.
    In it has 57 printer sharing.
    I have noticed that spoolsv.exe service is using 99% of CPU
    The server has hd space.

What can causing the elevate usage of cpu?

Thanks for while.

Luiz
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:19 PM

Answers

• According to your description, I understand that: the spoolsv.exe service running on Windows Server 2008 is using 99% of CPU.

Based on my research, spoolsv.exe is responsible for how Microsoft Windows handles print and fax jobs on your computer. This issue is caused when there are still printer jobs in the Windows spool. To manually remove these print jobs, you may follow the below steps:

1.Click “Start”, then “Administrative Tools”, “Services”

2.Within services locate “Print Spooler” and right-click it and select stop.

3.Once this process has been stopped leave the windows open and open “Computer” and browse the below folder:

c:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

4.In this folder delete all the files in the PRINTERS folder. Once these have been deleted you can right-click the Print Spooler in the Services window and click Start to re-enable the service

If this does not resolve your issue it's likely you have an issue with your printer drivers you have installed for your printers and/or you have a Trojan, virus, or worm infected on the computer. Make sure you have the latest printer drivers for your printer. Additionally make sure you have an antivirus protection program on the computer and that it's up-to-date.

Regards,

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• According to your description, I understand that: the spoolsv.exe service running on Windows Server 2008 is using 99% of CPU.

Based on my research, spoolsv.exe is responsible for how Microsoft Windows handles print and fax jobs on your computer. This issue is caused when there are still printer jobs in the Windows spool. To manually remove these print jobs, you may follow the below steps:

1.Click “Start”, then “Administrative Tools”, “Services”

2.Within services locate “Print Spooler” and right-click it and select stop.

3.Once this process has been stopped leave the windows open and open “Computer” and browse the below folder:

c:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

4.In this folder delete all the files in the PRINTERS folder. Once these have been deleted you can right-click the Print Spooler in the Services window and click Start to re-enable the service

If this does not resolve your issue it's likely you have an issue with your printer drivers you have installed for your printers and/or you have a Trojan, virus, or worm infected on the computer. Make sure you have the latest printer drivers for your printer. Additionally make sure you have an antivirus protection program on the computer and that it's up-to-date.

Regards,

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Thank you very much, Nuck.

Best Regards.

Luiz
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Hi there,

I did came across the same Problem and what Nick Gu is proposing solves the Problem once. But it will occour again at some point :-(. So what will this Problem solve permanently? Did somebody came across a permanent solution? And what is causing this?

Best Regards,

Lars

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Hi Lars, Did you by ever come up with a permanent answer to this?  I am having the problem occur 2 - 3 times per day.  Restarting the spooler does work, but why I do not know.  Mine is a 2003 R2 x64 server.  Since this is marked as answered already, I created a new post:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/e6d37db3-25ef-4ead-a7c4-a35a4877bb11

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:47 PM
  • This soved it for me on Windows server 2008 R2 32-bit

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960919

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:35 PM
  • this solved my problem , thanks 

SA

Friday, August 24, 2012 10:10 AM