command edit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

I saw here on some Answers that- Edit- isn´t supported by windows 10 64 bit, and that it just has work to Windows 7-so will you tell me which Name can be used for Edit on the windows 10?

Thanks

Friday, March 20, 2020 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Marton11.

There is no such thing in Windows 10 as the old edit command, that was used to start and run the MS-DOS Editor program.
    In Windows 10, you use the Notepad program to edit plain text files.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, March 20, 2020 8:39 PM
  • Hello Luigi,

Was it removed from teh 32 bit version of Windows 10 ?  I thought it still existed in 32-bit versions if you installed the NTVDM.

It certain isn't in the 64-bit versions of Windows since Edit.com is a 16-bit program and 16-bit programs do not run in 64-bit Windows.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 20, 2020 9:12 PM
  • Hello Luigi,

Was it removed from teh 32 bit version of Windows 10 ?  I thought it still existed in 32-bit versions if you installed the NTVDM.

It certain isn't in the 64-bit versions of Windows since Edit.com is a 16-bit program and 16-bit programs do not run in 64-bit Windows.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

It could be still available (I don't use a 32 bit version of Windows since 2008), but I've read it could lead to some issues: that would be the only way to enable the old MS-DOS Editor, since (as you've correctly stated) 16 bit programs cannot be executed on 64 bit Windows versions.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, March 20, 2020 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Kiki

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:26 AM