none
Windows 10 Problem with Printers & Scanners RRS feed

• Question

• Our environment is Windows Server (2016 & 2016) and Windows 10 (fully updated) and all equipment in one central location.

After rolling out the latest Windows update (1903), we can no longer manage our printers via Printers and Scanners (Under Settings).   When we click on the Manage button, nothing happens.  The highlighter simply goes to the next printer in line.

Our printers are deployed via a GPO and are addressed via a Windows Printer Server.   Windows devices (One Note) on the problem computer work as expected.

If we go to Devices and Printers (via Control Panel) we can still mange the printers are expected.  If we change the default printer in Devices and Printers, we can see the change in Printers and Scanners (but we can't change it there).

Anybody else seeing this issue and found a fix.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:35 PM

Answers

• Known issue. Have reported via Feedback Hub but issue hasn’t been acknowledged by MS. Only happens if logged in as Standard User. Admin users works as expected.
    • Marked as answer by JCHD_Tech Monday, July 1, 2019 1:00 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:13 PM

All replies

• Have you tried resetting network printer?

Click Network in the main menu, and click the Ports tab.
    The Ports page appears.

Next to USB, click Edit.
    The USB Devices page appears, displaying a list of connected printers.

Next to the desired printer, click Reset Server.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:25 PM
  • We have not tried resetting the printer.

I need some help where to do this at?    Is it on the print server, the problem work station or somewhere else?

Also, we have determined that different users get different results when attempting to manage the printers via Printers and Scanners on this particular workstation.  Some users can manage printers and some can't and some can manage some printers (but not all).

We also tested some of the users having problems on this workstation on different computers and they are able to manage on the different computers.  

We confirmed that all workstations we are testing on are Windows 10 /1903 Build 18362.116

Thanks for any assistance

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

>We confirmed that all workstations we are testing on are Windows 10 /1903 Build 18362.116
    So, the Manager icon of Printer is unable to click – All Settings -> All Devices -> Printers & Scanners

If possible, please choose one of problematic Windows 10, try to manually remove the printer, then, re-add it manually or via existing printer server, then, confirm that if problem happens again. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:28 AM
  • I tried to Manage the printers via All Settings -> All Devices -> Printers & Scanners as a normal user on the domain and was unable to manage or remove.

I then logged in as a Domain Admin user and deleted one of the GPO pushed printers and then added it manually via it's IP number.  I am able to do everything that should be able to be accomplished when logged in as an admin user.

I then logged back in as a normal user and can not do anything with the printer I added manual via IP above using the All Settings -> All Devices -> Printers & Scanners function.   I can manage the printer via Control Panel - Devices and Printers. 

Still looking for answers.  It looks like this is happening on most machines that are updating the 1903 version of Windows 10.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please open Run on problematic windows 10, type “winver” and end with enter, please provide me the detail OS name, version and build number. I will build a VM and try to reproduce it.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:28 AM
  • Results of the WinVer are listed below:

Windows 10

Microsoft Windows

Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.116)

2019 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

The Windows 10 Pro Operating System and its user interface are protected by trademark and other pending or existing intellectual property rights in the United States and other countries/regions.

Thanks for your assistance

Thursday, June 27, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Known issue. Have reported via Feedback Hub but issue hasn’t been acknowledged by MS. Only happens if logged in as Standard User. Admin users works as expected.
    • Marked as answer by JCHD_Tech Monday, July 1, 2019 1:00 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:13 PM
  • Our scenario matches that of John.b.   Admin users work as expected, however standard users do not.

Do we have any inclination when MS will release an update with the fix for this issue?

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:36 PM
  • Do we have any inclination when MS will release an update with the fix for this issue?

We on this forum probably don't and, considering the Control Panel workaround plus the number of 1903 issues found on the MS Win10 Health Dashboard, I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.  Best to just check the Cumulative Updates that come out once or twice a month and maybe they'll sneak a fix in there.

UPDATE:  MS released a new Cumulative Update today for 1903.  The issue discussed in this topic is not listed as being addressed.  Upon installing the update, rebooting, and logging in as a Standard User, the Printer buttons in Settings still do not work properly.  I guess the earliest we'll see a fix at this point is July 9 (Patch Tuesday).
    • Edited by john.b_ Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:50 PM UPDATE
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for detail information, I will test on my VM and reply to you with the result if there is any update.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, June 28, 2019 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

I had a test on my VM, OS information as below:

Log on system(workgroup environment) using non-admin user account, it is unable to open Manager option of Printer via All Settings -> Devices -> Printers & scanners. If switch to log on using admin user account, the option is working. 

I will report this problem to product team, also, you can post it via system built-in Feedback Hub:
    Open Search, type “Feedback Hub” to open the app, then, enter the details.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, July 1, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for their assistance on this issue.

We will patiently await a remedy from MS.

Closing issue on 7/1/19

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:01 PM
  • I have not found a fix, but I would suggest a more direct workaround. I believe I am experiencing the same problem. I can click on / highlight the printer I want to "manage," but the "manage," button appears behind the next printer on the list, so I am unable to click "manage." My attempt to click manage, instead, results in selecting the next printer on the list.

Workaround:

1. Select the printer you wish to manage
    2. Use the "tab" key on your keyboard to jump to the next button until you reach "manage"
    3. Use the "enter" key on your keyboard to activate the "manage" button
    • Proposed as answer by Bibs Rielley Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:51 PM
  • Good job that man, this is the exact issue i am seeing just before i deploy print policies to 3500 users in a dozen offices on 3 continents.

i am not going to propose this as an answer as its not a fix but a workaround and i'd hate MS to tink this was now resolved

Nothing in unfixable - with a suitable sized hammer!

Friday, October 11, 2019 12:32 PM