none
Server 2008 R2 Backup Recovery Blue-Screens when selecting "restore files or volumes" RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Backup and Recovery has been working for YEARS, then it started to Blue-Screen crash whenever I went in to recover a file from any of my 4 daily backups.  So I cloned the entire drive and installed/activated it on matching hardware and it does the same thing. Over the years I have frequently recovered "C:\ and Sys-State" from a few days earlier to back-out of a problem and have never had this problem until now.   I have been using a scheduled script to create the backups such as this.

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\?\Volume{a490d1c5-1037-11e8-99a5-0013723a6fad} -include:E:\Users -vssfull -quiet

When recovering from these backups no long worked, I tried a backup with the built-in Wizard instead of the script above, but the blue-screen result was the same.

I don't want to change to a 3rd party backup because Windows Backup has been perfect for my needs.

• Edited by swb_mct Friday, February 23, 2018 2:45 PM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 2:41 PM

Answers

• I found the problem

I recently installed a licensed version of EaseUS Partition Master for Windows Server on my system.  That was the problem.  Even though it has no services or processes running, it has a fatal conflict with Windows Backup Recovery.   To confirm this, I installed and uninstalled it a couple of extra times and the problem was 100% linked to this program.

Friday, February 23, 2018 11:19 PM

All replies

• I found the problem

I recently installed a licensed version of EaseUS Partition Master for Windows Server on my system.  That was the problem.  Even though it has no services or processes running, it has a fatal conflict with Windows Backup Recovery.   To confirm this, I installed and uninstalled it a couple of extra times and the problem was 100% linked to this program.

Friday, February 23, 2018 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

Glad that you figure out and thanks for sharing the results.

Please also keep monitor the event viewer for windows server backup check if anything wrong.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 26, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Thank you so much for posting this!!! I had the exact same problem and the cause was also due to EaseUS.
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 2:01 AM