none
How to manage the size of WebCache in IE10 using group policy RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've been running into some issues managing the size of the new IE10 WebCache.  I am running a terminal services server where the users have local profiles.  The users have a disk quota which was previously set to around 20MB.  This had always been a sufficient amount prior to IE10.

    After the upgrade to IE10 we noticed that many users were suddenly hitting their quota and discovered the culprit, WebCache.  Since then I've been looking for ways to manage the size (or existence) of the WebCache, but haven't come across any good solutions.

    I have updated my domain controller with the Win 8/Server 2012 policy files and tried the setting which appear to have been created for this purpose.  None of these setting seem to do what I am expecting. Here are some of the settings I have enabled under Settng User Configuration/Policies/Admin Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/

    • Internet Control Panel/Advanced/Empty Temporary Internet Files... = enabled
    • Internet Control Panel/General/Browsing History/Allow sites to store app cache = disabled
    • Internet Control Panel/General/Browsing History/Set app cache expiration time limit = enabled (1 day)
    • Internet Control Panel/General/Browsing History/Set maximum app cache storage limit all domains = 10MB
    • Internet Control Panel/General/Browsing History/Set maximum indexed database all domains = 10MB

    Does anyone have any information on what needs to be done to get this new WebCache under control?

    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:37 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    and so it should.... they are created from client side scripts. Users have to accept a UAC prompt to allow site access to web storage.


    Rob^_^

    Friday, July 19, 2013 2:37 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I haven't measured it myself but there have been reports that win7 upgrades to IE10 allocated 1GB for the supported storage formats.

    there is a known exploit that affects all web browsers.... Limiting storage is the only workaround.

    If your users don't require it you can turn off "Allow web caches and Databases"

    Regards.


    Rob^_^

    Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your response.

    Our users don't require the webcache\database functionality so disabling it would be the ideal solution.

    I've currently got the options for 'Allow websites to store application caches\indexed databases on client computers'  set to disabled.  I've had this setting in place since Monday, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I tried manually deleting the files, but they were recreated after using IE.

     Revoking the users write permissions to the WebCache folder has prevented them from being re-created, but that was more of a test to see what would happen than a solution.  IE10 does seem to run just fine without being able to create those files.

    Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

    and so it should.... they are created from client side scripts. Users have to accept a UAC prompt to allow site access to web storage.


    Rob^_^

    Friday, July 19, 2013 2:37 AM