Activate Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows could not be activated....where do you re enter key?
    Friday, March 29, 2013 12:21 AM

Answers

• Multiple choices here:

1. Right click Computer and select Properties and you'll see the choice on the bottom.

2. Open CMD Prompt and use SLMGR.VBS to enter your key.  More specifically, SLMGR.vbs /ipk YOURKEYHERE

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, April 1, 2013 1:27 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to run the following command:

Slmgr.vbs –ipk your product key

Slmgr.vns –ato

Also, you can open Server Manager -> Local Server -> Click your Product ID and Windows Activation prompt will popup.

However, if you plan to use volume activation, please refer to:

Volume Activation Overview for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831612.aspx

Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

If you run Evaluation Versions, please refer to Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:47 AM
  • It's also good to know what product you are trying to activate - Evaluation, Retail, Volume License, MSDN/TechNet.  Volume licensed media automatically looks for a KMS server installed in your environment.  It will automatically activate when it finds a KMS server.  If you are using volume media and you do not have KMS, you should get it - it's the easiest way to activate within a corporate environment, and there is no additional cost.  You can also purchase a MAK - multiple activation key.  Speak to your vendor about your options here if you are using volume media.  Evaluation copy is automatically activated when it can establish a secure connection to Microsoft.  If it can't reach Microsoft, it's good for 10 days and then it starts automatically shutting down after one hour of uptime.  For retail and MSDN/TechNet, Chris has given you the method.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, March 29, 2013 1:45 AM

All replies

• Multiple choices here:

1. Right click Computer and select Properties and you'll see the choice on the bottom.

2. Open CMD Prompt and use SLMGR.VBS to enter your key.  More specifically, SLMGR.vbs /ipk YOURKEYHERE

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, March 29, 2013 1:12 AM
  • It's also good to know what product you are trying to activate - Evaluation, Retail, Volume License, MSDN/TechNet.  Volume licensed media automatically looks for a KMS server installed in your environment.  It will automatically activate when it finds a KMS server.  If you are using volume media and you do not have KMS, you should get it - it's the easiest way to activate within a corporate environment, and there is no additional cost.  You can also purchase a MAK - multiple activation key.  Speak to your vendor about your options here if you are using volume media.  Evaluation copy is automatically activated when it can establish a secure connection to Microsoft.  If it can't reach Microsoft, it's good for 10 days and then it starts automatically shutting down after one hour of uptime.  For retail and MSDN/TechNet, Chris has given you the method.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, March 29, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to run the following command:

Slmgr.vbs –ipk your product key

Slmgr.vns –ato

Also, you can open Server Manager -> Local Server -> Click your Product ID and Windows Activation prompt will popup.

However, if you plan to use volume activation, please refer to:

Volume Activation Overview for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831612.aspx

Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

If you run Evaluation Versions, please refer to Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:47 AM
  • It's as easy as:

Hold down the 'Windows Key' and press 'r' while still holding the windows key. This will open a 'run prompt'

Type --> slui

hit ENTER

Type in your product key!

Cheers, Matthew Kerfoot

• Proposed as answer by nicks323 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Any Similar command for opening Telephone activation wizard window ?
    Monday, January 20, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Indeed there is:

Hold down the 'Windows Key' and press 'r' while still holding the windows key. This will open a 'run prompt'

Type --> slui 4

hit ENTER

Cheers, Matthew Kerfoot

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:19 AM
  • I install Windows server 2012 for using remote apps on the virtual machine, and it require install the domain server to create the remote apps. Now I want to know how can I active both server with one license?

Wayne

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:04 PM
  • Thanks that answer was what I needed.  It would be great if the message on my screen told me that instead of telling me to go into Control Panel and System to activate.
    Monday, February 2, 2015 10:18 PM
  • Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:06 AM
  • can someone guide me..how window was activated or tried to activate...because i am new in this organization...
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:08 AM
  • According to your screen shot, you are running a volume license copy of Windows Server. This will look at your DNS server to find a KMS server. It will then contact the KMS server and ask to be activated. The KMS server needs to be populated with the activation codes for the proper operating systems. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793419.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 for more information.

If you need assistance, you can contact Microsoft's activation center - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/existing-customer/product-activation.aspx

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hello, Jeremy,

my name is Paul, if you don't mind I ask you a question here.

I misplaced the original Windows Server 2012 R2 DVD, so I used another one to hard reset/format the server, but when I was prompted to enter the product key, I thought it would be okay I pass but is not.

I tried the product code from sticker-attached to the server but many letters are faded, not easy to read.

I tried some possible combination of letters where I cannot read clearly but not working.

Would there be a phone number to call and request for activation code just like other OS?

Thank you.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:39 PM
  • This guide worked perfectly for me on Windows Server 2012 Standard. Thank you.

Brad Anderson, Systems Developer

Friday, October 5, 2018 3:25 PM
  • You posted to a string that was marked as answered more than five years ago.  You have a new question.  You should open a new post.

A little search would also tell you that you use the same key to activate a VM as you do to activate a physical host.

tim

Sunday, October 7, 2018 12:08 PM