none
Windows Media Player 12 Will not play WMV

Question

• I have a domain PC that is running win7 Pro and is updated with latest patches. There are no 3rd party codecs installed on any of our workstations, nor 3rd party video/audio playback applications. The PC with the problem throws the same error as described in other threads, however none of the listed "fixes" for it seem applicable. There is another system that I would have said was identical in all but name, however this one works fine. I have compared wmvdecod.dll, and the file version and date are the same BUT the size is different. The one that works shows a file size of 1,888,256 bytes. The one that doesn't work shows a file size of 1,619,456 bytes. I could probably replace the dll, but I want to understand what is going on here first.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:21 PM

Answers

• Well, I finally found out the problem. It WAS a 3rd party codec. I finally broke down and installed VLC player to see what it said about it, and it could not play it either BUT did show what it was missing. It was missing the g2m codec or Go2Meeting codec.
    • Marked as answer by Ed888 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The difference between two wmvdecod.dll size can be related with the file version. Or which is for 32bit and other is for 64bit.

You can try to this KB:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973442

Furthermore, you can use SFC to check system files. It will scan all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    1.       Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2.       Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Well I totally failed to notice the systems are different! One is x86 and the other is x64. However the file versions do show the same, just different sizes. Not that that is making any difference...The link provided is not relevant to Win7. Ran system file checker, no change.
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please give me the detail error message? Please try to disable and enable Media Player in control panel\programs and features\turn features on or off

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, April 06, 2012 3:40 AM
  • The actual message is;

"windows media player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer."

I am unwilling to uninstall then re-install at the moment. While this might fix "something" I am trying to find out what the actual problem is.

Friday, April 06, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

For that error, please try this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926373

Other methods you can try:

1 How to determine which codec is installed and how to install it automatically?
    a. To determine what codec was used with a specific file, play the file in the Player, if possible. While the file is playing, right-click the file in the library, and then click Properties.
    b. On the File tab, look at the Audio codec and Video codec sections.
    Download and install Codecs by go to the PLAYER tab and check.
    c. Connect to the Internet and Download Codecs Automatically.

For more information on codecs refer to the articles below:
    Codecs: frequently asked questions
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions

2 If you know the name of the codec or its ID (known as a FourCC identifier for video codecs or a WaveFormat identifier for audio codecs), try searching the Internet. You can often go to a codec manufacturer's website to download the most recent version of a codec.

For more help about codecs and playing audio and video files refer to the articles below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Play-an-audio-or-video-file-frequently-asked-questions

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, April 09, 2012 2:29 AM
  • That KB is for Media Player 11, not 12. 12 Does not have the "Download and install Codecs" option anywhere that I can find. Also, the file in question is a .wmv file and the correct codec looks like it is installed. I have wmvdecod.dll 6.1.7601.17514 installed.

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Went ahead and removed then re-installed Media Player. This did not help.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest that you reinstall recommended Codec. Please access the following website.

Using codecs 

From the answer of the question “Codecs: frequently asked questions”--- "How do I find a codec?" please try to find a proper Codec pack and install it.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:15 AM
  • I think we have a failure to communicate.

If anyone else can add anything, that would be great.

To re-iterate, Windows Media Player 12 will not play one of it's own file types, .WMV. Codec shows as installed.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Do you get that error for just one video file or for several or all of them? Have you tried playing the file(s) on a different system?

Did the System File Checker find any problems, and if so, was it able to fix them?

The WMV (or more precisely ASF) format is a container format, which means that it can contain audio/video in various formats. If you install FFDShow, does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:04 PM
  • For several WMV file types. I am only having this problem on some Win 7 workstations. The Win XP workstations play these files fine. Sine the XP machines have no problems playing them without any 3rd party codecs, I am trying to go down the path of figuring out why XP has no problem but 7 does. I do not want to install and maintain 3rd party codecs in our domain if I can help it. If I end up having to install something 3rd party to work around the issue, I would just use vlc player.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:12 PM
  • I am finding out that there are wmv videos that work just fine with Win 7. There must be something about the certain files I am looking at.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Well, I finally found out the problem. It WAS a 3rd party codec. I finally broke down and installed VLC player to see what it said about it, and it could not play it either BUT did show what it was missing. It was missing the g2m codec or Go2Meeting codec.
    • Marked as answer by Ed888 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 PM