none
Windows 7 won't detect my Sansa mp3 player

Question

• I have a Sansa Sandisk 1gb Black mp3 player and Windows 7 doesn't recognize it.  It charges the mp3 player, you can even listen to it while plugged in, however when I plug it into the usb port windows 7 doesn't recognize it.  No sound no nothing except that it turns on the device so it obviously knows something is plugged in right?

I also use a usb mouse, and when I plug that in a sound confirms the device is plugged in............any help would be greatly appreciated.  I tried updating the firmware but when it tells me to plug in the mp3 player windows 7 still doesn't recognize it.

-Daniel
    Friday, March 05, 2010 5:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Do you recall when the issue first occur?
    Can you let us know your detail model of your machine and Mp3 player?
    Have you tried to connect the Sansa player via another USB port?

I suggest you to update your drivers for your Win7 machine from the manufacture, espically for the Chipset driver. After that, please check if your player is compatible with Win7, you can check it in the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Default.aspx?type=Hardware

If it is compatible with Win7, please check if there is unknow device in Device Manger after connecting the player.

Note: the Sansa MP3 Players can connect to your computer in MSC or MTP mode. Exceptions are Sansa Connect and Sansa Express which only use MTP mode. MTP mode is the recommended and default method for Sansa Players when used with Windows OS.

Generally, the Sansa player will show up on Device Manager's right pane as:

1. USB Mass Storage device (if the player is set to MSC)
    2. Portable Device (if the player is set to MTP mode)

If there is a yellow exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) beside the device, try to reinstall the drivers.  You just need right-click the entry with the error mark, select Uninstall. Then click Action on the top menu then select Scan for hardware changes, or restart your machine to test.

In addition, you can try to connect the player via the MSC mode, you can refer to http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/kw/force%20msc/r_id/101834

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 05, 2010 7:42 AM
  • My Computer Model is ASUS Notebook K40IJ/K50IJ Series
    Pentium Dual-Core CPU  T4400 @ 2.20GHz
    64-bit OS Windows 7 Home Premium

My MP3 player is a Sansa Sandisk 1GB Black Version V01.01.18A

I got the Computer a couple weeks ago and this was the first time I tried plugging my mp3 player into the Computer.  I tried plugging it into all 4 usb slots and the laptop wont recognize it, but it will turn the device on and recharge it.

Ill try doing what you said and report back.  Thanks
    Friday, March 05, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Hi dream_catcher_9,
    Here is another support reference from SanDisk : http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/kw/e100/r_id/101834

Try Solution 2 and 3.

Any luck?
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 08, 2010 8:29 AM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 11:36 AM
  • The Sansa player will show up on Device Manager's right pane as:
    1. USB Mass Storage device (if the player is set to MSC)
    2. Portable Device (if the player is set to MTP mode)

still doesn't recognize either 1 or 2. 
    • Proposed as answer by jwitalka Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:54 AM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 2:17 PM
  • I have a Sansa Fuze and it shows up as a Portable Device in Device Manager.  Sounds like the driver is corrupted. See:
    http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42

Jerry
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 08, 2010 8:29 AM
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Now, please update your drivers for you laptop, espically for the Chipset, BIOS, you can get them from the following link according to your system version.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

After that, please test your player in the in MSC mode or MTP mode again. In addition, please open the Device Manager to check if there is any Unknown Device in Device Manger after connecting the player

If it still failed to work in the two modes, it's better to remove the USB controllers.

Reinstall USB controllers using the Keyboard
    ============================
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu. 
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Good luck!

John
    Monday, March 08, 2010 5:17 AM