none
Latest Windows Cumulative Update causing issues - Black Screen and Software incompatibilities RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have just spent the morning troubleshooting an HP Laptop with these two issues.
    After this update... 2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674)
    This HP Envy laptop ended up with a black screen after signing into my account. Ctrl+Alt+Del would allow me to open Taskmanager. After figuring out how to get into msconfig and setting it for "Safe Boot" mode, I was able to start windows in Safe Mode. Once I had done this I set msconfig to start windows normally. This cured the black screen issue.

On the restart, once I logged in, a box popped up saying HP Accelerometer is incompatible with this version of Windows (in my case Windows 10) on an HP laptop running HP 3D DriveGuard software. After wasting time uninstalling and re-installing this software package and contacting Microsoft Support, I decided to try rolling back Windows to before KB4034674 was installed. This fixed the incompatibility issue but I fear it will return once Windows re-installs this update. Fingers crossed it won't.

From trolling the forums, it appears this update may be causing black screens on a variety of Window 7 and Windows 10 OS's on HP hardware.

I hope this posting helps some of you out that are having issues with this current update!
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies