none
Legacy Floppy Compatibility with UEFI boot RRS feed

• Question

• Mods: Please move this to a more appropriate forum if needed.

• This issue applies to 64-bit Windows Kernel 6.0 SP1 and later (Windows Vista/2008 Server SP1/SP2, Windows 7/2008 R2 RTM/SP1)
    • I'm not sure if this is a UEFI BIOS or Microsoft issue.

Summary:
    Floppy DOES NOT work when booting using UEFI.
    Floppy DOES work when booting with BIOS in Linux, 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows.

I have a 3.5" floppy disk connected. It works for booting from the BIOS. It works in 32 and 64bit Windows 7 SP1 when using BIOS/MBR boot. However, when I use UEFI to boot, the floppy disk is not available in Windows Setup or Windows 7 SP1. The floppy disk controller is detected, installed, and has no errors in the device manager but there is no access to drive A:. These are base Windows 7 SP1 Setup DVDs and base installations.

• Question: Is there a work around? Is this expected? Is this a BIOS issue? Is this a Microsoft issue?

I am trying to contact my motherboard manufacturer about this as well.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:46 PM

Answers

• I submitted an inquiry about this to UEFI.ORG and this is their reply:

------- Original Message --------
    Subject: RE: Floppy Drive and UEFI
    Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:56:31 -0700
    To:

Our UEFI technical representatives have noted that the UEFI system can support floppy disks without any issues and have advised that you consult your motherboard manufacturer for further troubleshooting guidance.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Cayla Lopez

UEFI Administration

Apparently there is not enough customer complaints to the motherboard manufacturers to get this corrected.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:32 AM
  • This issue is not related to Windows 7. Please contact the motherboard manufacturer for more information.

Actually this is was intentional move by Microsoft when their UEFI boot loader was programmed to block the detection of the floppy drive when it is present.

I have no idea why Microsoft thought it was necessary to block the floppy drive, but that is exactly what was done!

This is common knowledge among all the motherboard producers and they freely admit it.  The UEFI organization has also confirmed that UEFI does in fact support floppy drives, but someone at Microsoft did not feel users would have a use for it so they opted blocked it!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by secured2k Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:08 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Motherboard manufacturer says to check the OS implementation of UEFI, suggesting the boot loader is passing a UEFI option to hide the floppy drive despite Windows being able to see the controller.
    • Marked as answer by secured2k Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:27 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 9:13 PM

All replies

• This issue is not related to Windows 7. Please contact the motherboard manufacturer for more information.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Is there any confirmation from Microsoft on this? Do you or anyone else have first hand experience or testing on this matter to confirm?
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:36 AM
  • The drivers should be released by the device manufacturers. Microsoft includes these drivers into Windows 7 so that users do not need to install drivers for some devices.Therefore we do not have related information.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 9:14 AM
  • I understand that Windows includes support for the generic floppy disk controller. It is shown in Device Manager as working properly. However, when booting using UEFI, the Floppy Disk Drive is missing. This is usually handled by the Microsoft driver, flpydisk.sys. There are no missing components. Is it that Microsoft's Windows Boot Loader (UEFI) is passing the -nofloppy switch to the UEFI? How can I turn that option off?
    Monday, June 6, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Motherboard manufacturer says to check the OS implementation of UEFI, suggesting the boot loader is passing a UEFI option to hide the floppy drive despite Windows being able to see the controller.
    • Marked as answer by secured2k Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:27 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I am having same problem. Do you have any solution for this?

Thanks,
    Ramesh

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

This problem reported by our customer. We want to know , UEFI windows 7 supports the Legacy floppy or not? If it has been working in another platform, we will try to find why it's not working in our platform.

Thanks,

Ramesh

Friday, August 5, 2011 8:43 AM
  • I know this thread is from last year, but I have exactly the same problem with an ASROCK 990FX Extreme4 that I just put together about 2 weeks ago.

I contacted ASRock Technical Support and they had to refer the problem to Japan where the BIOS is written.

I realize floppy disks are an endangered species, but I still have a ton of them to clean up and archive the information on them.

Does anyone know if this is caused by the Windows boot .efi or is it a UEFI programming fault?

Monday, October 29, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I found a USB floppy on eBay for $10 if you want to experiment

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

I don't want to experiment.  I have already experimented enough to know what currently works and what doesn't.

I want to know what the root cause of the problem is and if it will ever get corrected?

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Even with the latest UEFI BIOS for my motherboard (P2.10 on AsRock P67 Extreme6) and Windows 8 x64, I still cannot access the floppy drive from Windows. There are no errors or missing devices in the Device Manager and the Floppy Disk Controller does show up in the device manager, but not the disk drive in the device manager or Explorer.

I do not have a USB floppy to test with either; Floppy works in all other cases when UEFI booting isn't used which is what I have resorted to.

• Edited by secured2k Monday, October 29, 2012 8:48 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 8:48 PM
  • i lack a uefi box at the moment to test my usb floppy with

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Is there some valid reason you post irrelevant responses to questions?

If you don't have a UEFI board with a floppy connector, and you have never had any experience with the primary subject, then all your MVP certificates have obviously not contributed to your ability to provide intelligent input to problems you are totally ignorant of!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:32 AM
  • I submitted an inquiry about this to UEFI.ORG and this is their reply:

------- Original Message --------
    Subject: RE: Floppy Drive and UEFI
    Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:56:31 -0700
    To:

Our UEFI technical representatives have noted that the UEFI system can support floppy disks without any issues and have advised that you consult your motherboard manufacturer for further troubleshooting guidance.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Cayla Lopez

UEFI Administration

Apparently there is not enough customer complaints to the motherboard manufacturers to get this corrected.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Thank you for sharing this info.

I saw in some uEFI implementations that there was an option at boot for no floppy. Not sure if this is what is happening or if it was something specific to that boot loader.

At least USB still works.

Friday, December 28, 2012 4:10 PM
  • the floppy is long obsolete

the usb stick has taken over 

usb floppy drives are inexpensive

So, who died and left you in charge, Almighty Vegan Fanatic?

You are not the Supreme Ruler of the earth and just because you don't use floppy disks does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that no one else does!

P.S.

If you are going to brag about how many MVP's you have, why don't you learn to count?

You list four (4) MVP's, not three (3)!!

• Edited by R T F M Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by secured2k Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:09 PM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:11 PM

Actually this is was intentional move by Microsoft when their UEFI boot loader was programmed to block the detection of the floppy drive when it is present.

I have no idea why Microsoft thought it was necessary to block the floppy drive, but that is exactly what was done!

This is common knowledge among all the motherboard producers and they freely admit it.  The UEFI organization has also confirmed that UEFI does in fact support floppy drives, but someone at Microsoft did not feel users would have a use for it so they opted blocked it!

• Marked as answer by secured2k Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:08 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Here is a 9.99 USB floppy I found with a quick eBay search

I use one for F6 drivers when needed as some machines lack a floppy controller

Why do you keep harping about a USB floppy?  USB floppies are not the subject of this thread.  The thread is about "legacy floppy" compatibility with UEFI. I have external floppies drives that came with my laptops and netbooks, so I don't need another one.

And, it is common knowledge that F6 does not always work. I guess it may have to do with the specific hardware, but F6 does not always work. Also, it is not about being able to use F6, it is about having a "legacy floppy" drive when you want it without digging out a USB floppy drive. And, my experience with USB floppy drives is they are not very durable or reliable!

Saturday, February 9, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Thanks Rick Dee.

Your answers have been very helpful in determining that uEFI does support floppies but Microsoft's implementation blocks it. This is what I thought since uEFI boot with floppy access when I tested this in Linux. I have marked both of your replies as answers to help others who might come across this issue.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Thanks Rick Dee.

Your answers have been very helpful in determining that uEFI does support floppies but Microsoft's implementation blocks it. This is what I thought since uEFI boot with floppy access when I tested this in Linux. I have marked both of your replies as answers to help others who might come across this issue.

Windows 7 and 8 both support a floppy

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Vegan - 

I don't have a problem with booting to floppy. It was accessing the Floppy Disk Controller once the Windows Boot Loader and Kernel were started. I do know I could use a USB Floppy if I needed, but if I had a system with a floppy built in, I wanted to know why I couldn't use it. I made this thread ages ago to question to report a possible bug. However, first I needed to find out who was at fault and based on Rick's answers, this issue was caused by Microsoft's uEFI boot loader opting to block floppy access to Windows Kernel.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:25 PM
  • You would have to have a BIOS that supports uEFI and an OS that installs using uEFI in order to reproduce this issue. If I install a 32 or 64 bit system without using an uEFI boot loader, the floppy access is fine.

I think this is all said in my original post very clearly.

I think this issue has been solved and does not need any more work around responses unless there is an update or change to Microsoft's uEFI boot loader which is unlikely as Legacy Floppy disks are phased out.

• Edited by secured2k Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:33 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Thanks for your interest in this subject. I use the floppy  to create floppy boot disks or to read old floppies for older legacy systems that cannot boot to USB. Again, the problem is just that if I have the hardware and it works, why isn't it supported?

Whatever the case, I consider my original question answered as a "Microsoft Issue". I do not expect them to fix it. Therefore I am unsubscribing from these posts.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Rick Dee.

Windows 7 and 8 both support a floppy

Vegan, why do you have a problem accepting that some people still have a use for a floppy drive and prefer the use of legacy floppy drives connected directly to the motherboard?

I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you seem to have a problem that not everyone has the same opinion as you.  You have not really contributed anything useful to this thread because it seems the only thing you know how to respond in this thread is to say "use a USB floppy" drive.  Why?

Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:04 PM
  • my T320 has 8 on it, floppy works, same for xp and 7

so i suspect there is a problem with the hardware

Based on the technical documentation and Tech Specs posted on the Dell website for the T320 there is no floppy hardware controller nor connector on the motherboard, so how are you connecting a legacy floppy to a non-existent floppy connector?

If you mean an Acer T320, it does not have UEFI. It is a BIOS system!  Do you know what the difference is between UEFI and BIOS?

As I said previously, you have not contributed anything useful to this discussion.

• Edited by Rick Dee Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:23 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:19 PM
  • curious why your rig refuses the floppy like that

i have 2 UEFI and nether has a floppy controller

the portable has 7 enterprise and so does my gaming box

server using 08 r2 and 8 is in a virtual machine, and that VM also has a floppy and its configured to support a virtual floppy image.

I have to ask why on earth do you need a floppy for outside of a F6 disk to allow XP to run on a modern ACPI system

Based on your subsequent posts, you apparently do not have the least idea what UEFI is nor what the difference is between UEFI and BIOS.

In another post you plainly state "i lack a uefi box at the moment to test my usb floppy with" and in another you state "My HP portable uses UEFI and it also boots the USB floppy."

Saturday, February 9, 2013 8:43 PM
  • I was talking about my gaming box which has a M4A77D in it at the moment but its slated for replacement this year, that and m,y gtx 260 is getting old too

my hp portable had uefi and it likes everything I hook up to it for boot, it does not seem to care

uefi boot is really a very simply chunk of code, read the disk check the table, gpt? load partition else boot mbr

Please provide the exact make, model, and series of your HP portable.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:24 PM
  • http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4222475

According to the information posted on the HP website, the system you refer to is not a UEFI system.

It is a BIOS system.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:17 PM
  • The readme that came with a BIOS update said it was UEFI but portables you know have zilch options compared to a gaming rig

As far as I can see the only main options are to select what to boot.

HP has a tool, long ago nuked, that can get into other features in the BIOS when the disk craps out.  Turns out that is simply the recovery.

I dumped the Windows 7 started and I am using my 7 x64 Enterprise license on it.

HP for some reason does not even have a BIOS description for their machines. Same for other vendors I have considered. This is in contrast to desktop machines where even the firmware is a feature (backup BIOS etc)

I upgraded the hard disk to an available 320 GB disk. Connecting a monitor and wireless keyboard, its a good desktop replacement and it uses hardly any power.

I might get a SSD for it as that way its less likely to get damaged. So far the WD disk has been problem free.

And you are still demonstrating you do not comprehend the subject of this thread -

Legacy Floppy Compatibility with UEFI boot

Which is referring to a floppy drive connected to an on-board floppy connector controlled by an on-board floppy disk controller. It does not refer to an external USB floppy by any stretch of the imagination!!!

And it would not make any logical sense for the system to have UEFI since it was originally designed for Windows XP and then updated for 32-bit Windows 7, neither of which can be  UEFI booted!  They will only boot on a BIOS system.

• Edited by Rick Dee Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:04 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:54 PM
  • http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A97_R20/

this board has UEFI and its advertised for gamers who want to use larger disks for more entertainment

my disk has only got office, visual studio and some web development tools, rest of the space is games

I might buy one of these simply as I need more RAM for 64-bit games like Rage. This new game engine has been the main motivator for upgrades.

The 64-bit version of the game runs way better on my current rig.

What has this to do with the subject of the thread?  Absolutely NOTHING!!!

Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:13 PM
  • The OP wants to make DOS disks, the USB floppy disk is what I HAVE to use. Old machines like my Acer T-320 have one but that thing is a power pig so I do not use it anymore.

Summary:
    Floppy DOES NOT work when booting using UEFI.
    Floppy DOES work when booting with BIOS in Linux, 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:30 PM
  • @ Vegan & Rick Dee -
    This thread should be for the original problem of uEFI machine booting using uEFI mode and not being able to access the legacy floppy disk. While workarounds such as using a USB Floppy or not using a floppy drive at all would work, they do not investigate or solve the actual root issue with hardware not functioning or being accessible to the Windows Kernel. An example for you would be your gaming system - what if your old video card didn't work and someone gave you the solution to just buy another one or use the integrated video option when you know the video card, while old, is still functional.

This problem is very specific and just because a motherboard supports uEFI, it doesn't mean that the system has been booted using uEFI. Your motherboard would default to using compatibility mode BIOS. In which case, my same system does not have an issue (as shown in my 2nd bullet point). To install using uEFI, you would need a Windows Server 2008 R2 install disc and a BIOS option to boot using uEFI as the disc contains both legacy BIOS and uEFI boot options. It may be possible with Windows 7 SP1 x64 as well but you would have to manually start the uEFI loader via the "Launch EFI file system shell" -type option.

As you stated earlier, you do not have a system to duplicate the issue so your setup is different from the conditions here and the results do not apply, even if a valid work around is a USB option. When replying, take note of the question and communication used in the posts. Please give other tech professionals some credit to know what they are talking about from real world experience.

If you wish to reproduce this issue and make sure you are using EFI, just try to install Windows x64 6.1 or newer to a GPT partitioned drive and boot from it. The disk doesn't need to be over 3TB, just partitioned using GPT. Also, I do not know of any Virtual Machines that support emulating uEFI.

So what we have is a reply from the uEFI administration, a reply from the motherboard manufacturer, a working uefi boot with floppy access in 64-bit linux, and no floppy access in 64-bit uEFI Windows. We also now have some information about Microsoft's boot loader blocking access to the floppy drive. This all points to a Microsoft issue and most likely they are just phasing it out for security or a cleanup of old legacy code. I do not expect this kind of rare problem to be fixed so let's just move on.

@ Rick Dee - While you have a valid points, you should just drop this because it's going nowhere. People with some real knowledge and experience with the problem will already find their answer based on your investigation into the matter in earlier posts. I suggest being the bigger man and unsubscribing as I did and walking away.

• Edited by secured2k Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:03 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:57 PM
  • It is my understanding that this is an ACPI problem. Those platforms that work have the correct ASL code for the Floppy Disk Controller (FDC).

Since my platform doesn't work, I would like to have the correct code, if anyone out there knows it.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:03 PM
  • It is my understanding that this is an ACPI problem. Those platforms that work have the correct ASL code for the Floppy Disk Controller (FDC).

Since my platform doesn't work, I would like to have the correct code, if anyone out there knows it.

patswayne1

It is not an ACPI problem.  It is the lack of support for a floppy drive under UEFI.  Floppy support was left out of the efi boot files.  Both Microsoft and Apple opted to drop floppy drive support when booting under UEFI.  Linux has retained floppy support under UEFI for their 64-bit versions.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:42 AM
  • As it turns out, it IS an ACPI problem. By replacing methods _FDE and _STA with hardcoded values, I was able to get the system to recognize the floppy drive. However, it still does not recognize the disk inserted into the drive, but thinks it is unformatted.

Here are the _FDE and _STA coding I used:

Method(_FDE, 0) {
            Name(FDE, Buffer(){1,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0, 2,0,0,0})
            Return(FDE)
        }

Method(_STA, 0) {
            Return(0xF) //Return present and active
        }

Something else is missing, and I hope to figure it out. Do any Microsoft ACPI experts read this?

Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:29 PM