none
Removing Extra Languages in Windows 7 Ultimate

Question

• I installed Windows 7 Ultimate as a fresh install on my computer. 

Although I only selected English it appears that there are a lot of other languages installed as well.

This is evidenced by other language fonts installed and when I run windows update it wants to install 34 Windows 7 Language Packs at about 40Mb - 100Mb each. 

Is there a way that I can remove these unneeded languages ?

Thank you

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:17 PM

Answers

• I too have seen the 34 Optional language pack updates offered-- and I am also annoyed when I see "34 optional updates available". These optional languages are things that I would never want, and DO NOT want to install on my computer-- especially not by accident (by my children or wife?)

So here's what I did to correct it. Opened Windows Update. Selected the "34 optional updates are available" link. I selected ALL of the Language Packs (34 of them as of this posting). Right clicked on them, and chose to hide the updates from the context pop-up menu. Then I clicked the OK button.

Subsequent trips to the Windows Update control panel no longer tell me that 34 optional updates are available.

I can undo this at any time by selecting Restore hidden updates in the task panel.

Hope this helps...

• Proposed as answer by kroembke Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by r-k-m Friday, January 29, 2010 1:04 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Hi, I saw the post here   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-change-a-display-language

To Install / Uninstall a Language Interface Pack (LIP), double-click the file to open the setup program. To install a Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI), follow these steps:
    Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.
    1. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
    2. Under Display language, click Install/Uninstall languages, and then follow the steps. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note : The Display language section will only be visible if you have already installed an LIP or if your edition of Windows supports an MUI. MUIs are only available in Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Check if there is any other Languages MUI if have you can uninstall from there.

Hope you find the info useful
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi r-k-m,

I believe you're misunderstanding something. If you've only installed English, you've installed that and not "a lot of other languages installed as well". Maybe you see those other languages (language packs) offered through Windows Update as "optional updates". But to install one of those, you have to download and install it. That doesn't happen automatically (and seriously, I don't see that Windows Update "wants" to install anything from this area, it depends only from your preferences). That some foreign fonts are installed by default, is another issue - that's for displaying content (f.ex. from web pages) that is encoded in non-Western characters. Without those fonts, you would only be able to see placeholders for any Chinese, Japanese, etc. symbols to be shown.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (50G),D:WIN7 (30G),F:DATA (250G)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, it was the 34 updates that I was seeing and being confused by.  I was assuming (which I should not have) that since they were being offered as updates that the language pack must have been previously installed.

I suspect that a number of others will also find this confusing.

Friday, January 29, 2010 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hi, I saw the post here   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-change-a-display-language

To Install / Uninstall a Language Interface Pack (LIP), double-click the file to open the setup program. To install a Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI), follow these steps:
    Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.
    1. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
    2. Under Display language, click Install/Uninstall languages, and then follow the steps. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note : The Display language section will only be visible if you have already installed an LIP or if your edition of Windows supports an MUI. MUIs are only available in Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Check if there is any other Languages MUI if have you can uninstall from there.

Hope you find the info useful
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi r-k-m,

I believe you're misunderstanding something. If you've only installed English, you've installed that and not "a lot of other languages installed as well". Maybe you see those other languages (language packs) offered through Windows Update as "optional updates". But to install one of those, you have to download and install it. That doesn't happen automatically (and seriously, I don't see that Windows Update "wants" to install anything from this area, it depends only from your preferences). That some foreign fonts are installed by default, is another issue - that's for displaying content (f.ex. from web pages) that is encoded in non-Western characters. Without those fonts, you would only be able to see placeholders for any Chinese, Japanese, etc. symbols to be shown.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (50G),D:WIN7 (30G),F:DATA (250G)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:44 PM
  • I too have seen the 34 Optional language pack updates offered-- and I am also annoyed when I see "34 optional updates available". These optional languages are things that I would never want, and DO NOT want to install on my computer-- especially not by accident (by my children or wife?)

So here's what I did to correct it. Opened Windows Update. Selected the "34 optional updates are available" link. I selected ALL of the Language Packs (34 of them as of this posting). Right clicked on them, and chose to hide the updates from the context pop-up menu. Then I clicked the OK button.

Subsequent trips to the Windows Update control panel no longer tell me that 34 optional updates are available.

I can undo this at any time by selecting Restore hidden updates in the task panel.

Hope this helps...

• Proposed as answer by kroembke Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:16 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, it was the 34 updates that I was seeing and being confused by.  I was assuming (which I should not have) that since they were being offered as updates that the language pack must have been previously installed.

I suspect that a number of others will also find this confusing.

Friday, January 29, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Thank you for the tip!

It works just as you explained.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:56 PM