none
Internet explorer 11 cause explorer.exe crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

Just to let you know a little tips that can help for other about IE11 and explorer crashes fix
    I don't know where posting that, so it will be here ! :)

Yesterday i decided to install Internet explorer 11 on my freshly installed Windows 7 Pro ed.
    No problems during install, but after the reboot, my computer went on a strange state:

- Explorer keeps crashes itself everytime i launched a tool from the run command, or simply when i wanted to launch an explorer or other.
    - Some services couldn't start (svchost, dhcp client, search, wmi etc ...)
    - No launched programs in the taskbar.
    - Security essentials failed to launch
    - Funny thing : i could type only 4 letters into the run command, impossible to launch anythink except (hopefully) a CMD prompt :D

so after breaking my head on my desk, i decided to try something :

on a CMD i ran a SFC /scannow and it repaired some errors, not all.
    I parsed the CBS.LOG file, and realized that one DLL failed to repair on the generated txt (see details below) :
    this dll was : IEPROXY.DLL and i made the link between my IE11 installation and this dll.

==> method to parse the CBS.LOG file : launch CMD as admin and type the following:

findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

so here is the fix/workaround : simply uninstall IE11!
    But ... wait, you cannot access to APPWIZ.CPL (remember: impossible to laucn the control panel without crashing explorer) so we will uninstall IE11 with a command line:

on the CMD type this :

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

when it's ok, simply restart the computer, IE10 will be available automatically and the issue disapeared.

Hope it helps someone.
    David

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience to us.

For the persons who have the similar issue with the explorer.exe crashes, try this solution to fix the issue.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks again. Have a nice day.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience to us.

For the persons who have the similar issue with the explorer.exe crashes, try this solution to fix the issue.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks again. Have a nice day.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:56 AM
  • HI ,

Its Working Thank You for your Post...its Helpfull

Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Hello,

IE11 in window 7 crash my window when I install its show a black bar in right side

after few days update come and its gone

now today I am using its not show but when I come mouse over the icon of IE in taskbar its crash my window with

blue screen so please tell me what I do now

thanks

Dharmesh Sharma info@dharmeshsharma.com www.dharmeshsharma.com

Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:23 PM
  • This is still solving the problem once and for all, 6 years later! After hours of stupid fiddling, this was really helpful!

Thanks man.
    Friday, August 30, 2019 2:05 AM