none
Explorer.exe doesn't start automatically

Question

• Hey there

It seems that my explorer.exe doenst start automatically when I boot up my computer. I can still start it using the ctrl+alt+delete > taskmanager > start a new process and select explorer.exe. What can I do to fix this problem?

Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies

• Open Command Prompt as Admin and type:

sfc /scannow  and hit Enter.

In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the commands below and hit Enter:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Make sure windows update has installed all the updates.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-file-explorer-not-starting-automatically-after-logon-in-windows-8-8-1

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:36 PM
  • @Kapil.Arya

I saw another post which had the same solution, but it seems that this isn't the case for me. When I go to the shell the value already says explorer.exe but thanks anyway :)

• Edited by Stofslof Thursday, February 09, 2017 5:06 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Hi Stofslof,

Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System)?

Please try to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by a third party service.
    Clean boot:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If explorer.exe can’t start up automatically, we could configure it to startup automatically as a workaround.

We could add it to startup by copying it from C:\Windows to C:\Users\Account\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 4:12 AM
  • @Joy-Qiao

Thanks for your reply :)

but it didn't work. When I tried to perform a clean boot I still had a black screen on after I logged in on windows, but this time i couldn't even run task manager to start explorer.exe. After that I tried to copy the explorer file into the startup folder but that didnt work as well. Maybe I did something wrong with the clean bootup stuff although I followed the steps from the link you provided

Friday, February 10, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi Stofslof,

Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System)?

Have you run those commands as S.Sengupta said?

Please try to login in safe mode and check the issue again.

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Hi!

I'm having a similar issue, except I can't get Explorer open again- though it says it is. That means that, unless there's a Run prompt command I can input to start CMD as Admin I'm stuck.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:31 AM