none
Dreaded "A required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver is Missing" window on install

Question

• Hi,
    I've been trying to install the RC1 version and get the message shown in the title after the install starts.  I have searched the forums and have tried the various suggestions: downloading and reburning the iso image at least 5 times, at different speeds and on different media, limiting the boot device options.  I use ImgBurn  to burn the image and the verify of the disk shows no errors.  I have tried booting from either of the LiteOn SATA Drives in the system

I am running an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo with 2G of ram and an AMD X2 5600+, 3x500G and 1 TB SATA HDs.  I also have XP Pro installed on the machine, but have a 50G clean partition to install the Win 7 into.  I have also tried downloading the drivers from Asus as well as Nvidia and letting the installer search for and find the driver.  A driver is found, but a message that no new device is found when selecting that driver.  The same thing happens on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe system (AMD X2 4800+ with 2G).  I suspect the downloads may be corrupted.  But as other posts have indicated this is (probably) not a driver issue.

Does anyone know what the size of the iso download file(s) should be.  Mine shows:

7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso 2,097,152 KB for the 32 bit version

and

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso 2,097,152 KB for the 64 bit version.

In some forums it was indicated the 64 bit version should be larger.  Both are identical in my case.  I am wondering if the TimeWarner has a max limit on d/l file size.

Any help would be appreciated.  It sure would be nice if MS included a check sum check on the download images as part of the downloads.  Other freeware people have done this for downloads of around 200MB.  For a 2GB download I would the think the chance of corruption is significanly larger for this size download.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

rucbed
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I've been trying to install the RC1 version and get the message shown in the title after the install starts.  I have searched the forums and have tried the various suggestions: downloading and reburning the iso image at least 5 times, at different speeds and on different media, limiting the boot device options.  I use ImgBurn  to burn the image and the verify of the disk shows no errors.  I have tried booting from either of the LiteOn SATA Drives in the system

I am running an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo with 2G of ram and an AMD X2 5600+, 3x500G and 1 TB SATA HDs.  I also have XP Pro installed on the machine, but have a 50G clean partition to install the Win 7 into.  I have also tried downloading the drivers from Asus as well as Nvidia and letting the installer search for and find the driver.  A driver is found, but a message that no new device is found when selecting that driver.  The same thing happens on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe system (AMD X2 4800+ with 2G).  I suspect the downloads may be corrupted.  But as other posts have indicated this is (probably) not a driver issue.

Does anyone know what the size of the iso download file(s) should be.  Mine shows:

7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso 2,097,152 KB for the 32 bit version

and

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso 2,097,152 KB for the 64 bit version.

In some forums it was indicated the 64 bit version should be larger.  Both are identical in my case.  I am wondering if the TimeWarner has a max limit on d/l file size.

Any help would be appreciated.  It sure would be nice if MS included a check sum check on the download images as part of the downloads.  Other freeware people have done this for downloads of around 200MB.  For a 2GB download I would the think the chance of corruption is significanly larger for this size download.

rucbed

Hi again,
    The original downloads were done using FoxFire (my browser of choice).  I tried using IE7 to do the downloads.  In that case IE7 uses a download manager and with IE7 I was able to download both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.  The 32 bit version was corrupted on the first download (apparently the download manager does a test for the correctness of the download).  For those downloads the file sizes were as follows:

7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso   2,471,655 KB

and

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso   3,194,168 KB

These are more consistent with the sizes reported in other forums.

I have successfully installed the 32 bit version on my M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo (BIG CHEER after two days of frustration).  So I can report the problem is solved.  BTW buring the iso file on a DVD r/w worked and was done at the maximum burn speed (in this case 2x) and verified correctly using ImgBurn.  Generally if the burn verifies the disk has been burned correctly with that burning program (although garbage in garbage out if the file is corrupted).  Also ImgBurn produces graphs that show how the burn when.  I can higly recommend that burner to anyone it's the only one I use (please excuse the commercial).

One can ask why FoxFire does not use the download manager.  Good question to ask FoxFire.   I have had problems in the past with trying to use a browser other than IE to do downloads from Microsoft's sites in the past.

I guess the moral in this case is to use IE to do the downloads to avoid corrupted files.  My appology to MS about suggegstion about doing a consistency check, apparently the download manager that IE7 uses does do a validity check to insure a proper uncorrupted download.  Very good!

@parkdale Correction to the previous post (my bad), the LiteOn drives are IDE and are connected to the Pri and Sec IDE Channels.  I do have a Plextor PX-716A SATA connected and it is connected to the SIL3132 connector.  I never tried it on the Nvidia SATA channels.  On my A8N-SLI mobo I had a lot of trouble getting the PX-716W to run on the Nvidia SATA controllers (different chip set) with that mobo and ended up using the SIL3114R channels.  Which is why I went with IDE DVD drives for my M2N32 board (I didn't want the potential hassel and the two IDE controllers were free since I only use SATA HDs on that system.  The chipset mfgs have made improvments in supporting drives other than HD on the SATA channels so probably the newer mobos won't have any problems.  I have the 716w disconnected on the M232N at the moment, the drive has been acting up, I can't say I ever tried to boot from it when connected to the SIL SATA channel.

@parkdale thanks for your response.  The sizes you have are more similar to the ones I experienced with the IE7 downloads.

I guess this thread can be considered closed.  I hope the observation that the IE7 download is the way to go will be helpful to others.  I'm looking to give Win 7 a good trial and see how it stacks up against XP Pro.  And once again my experience has verified the CD/DVD driver window is probably a corrupted down load.  Thanks to other forums for reporting that.

rcubed

Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    How have you got your Liteons connected? l have to use the Nvidia Sata port to be bootable.
    ISO size 32bit 2.35 GB (2,530,975,744 bytes) 64 bit 3.04 GB (3,270,828,032 bytes)

Regards

Parkdale
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

and

rucbed

Hi again,
    The original downloads were done using FoxFire (my browser of choice).  I tried using IE7 to do the downloads.  In that case IE7 uses a download manager and with IE7 I was able to download both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.  The 32 bit version was corrupted on the first download (apparently the download manager does a test for the correctness of the download).  For those downloads the file sizes were as follows:

7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso   2,471,655 KB

and

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso   3,194,168 KB

These are more consistent with the sizes reported in other forums.

I have successfully installed the 32 bit version on my M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo (BIG CHEER after two days of frustration).  So I can report the problem is solved.  BTW buring the iso file on a DVD r/w worked and was done at the maximum burn speed (in this case 2x) and verified correctly using ImgBurn.  Generally if the burn verifies the disk has been burned correctly with that burning program (although garbage in garbage out if the file is corrupted).  Also ImgBurn produces graphs that show how the burn when.  I can higly recommend that burner to anyone it's the only one I use (please excuse the commercial).

One can ask why FoxFire does not use the download manager.  Good question to ask FoxFire.   I have had problems in the past with trying to use a browser other than IE to do downloads from Microsoft's sites in the past.

I guess the moral in this case is to use IE to do the downloads to avoid corrupted files.  My appology to MS about suggegstion about doing a consistency check, apparently the download manager that IE7 uses does do a validity check to insure a proper uncorrupted download.  Very good!

@parkdale Correction to the previous post (my bad), the LiteOn drives are IDE and are connected to the Pri and Sec IDE Channels.  I do have a Plextor PX-716A SATA connected and it is connected to the SIL3132 connector.  I never tried it on the Nvidia SATA channels.  On my A8N-SLI mobo I had a lot of trouble getting the PX-716W to run on the Nvidia SATA controllers (different chip set) with that mobo and ended up using the SIL3114R channels.  Which is why I went with IDE DVD drives for my M2N32 board (I didn't want the potential hassel and the two IDE controllers were free since I only use SATA HDs on that system.  The chipset mfgs have made improvments in supporting drives other than HD on the SATA channels so probably the newer mobos won't have any problems.  I have the 716w disconnected on the M232N at the moment, the drive has been acting up, I can't say I ever tried to boot from it when connected to the SIL SATA channel.

@parkdale thanks for your response.  The sizes you have are more similar to the ones I experienced with the IE7 downloads.

I guess this thread can be considered closed.  I hope the observation that the IE7 download is the way to go will be helpful to others.  I'm looking to give Win 7 a good trial and see how it stacks up against XP Pro.  And once again my experience has verified the CD/DVD driver window is probably a corrupted down load.  Thanks to other forums for reporting that.

rcubed

Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Have you tried the solution that worked for me in that big, long thread?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/a43574ad-e8d0-4d9e-aa86-6ddfda1e9079/
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:40 AM
  • @Bummed,
    I concluded after considering the threads I did find (I may have reviewed the one you listed) and finally concluded it was a corrupted d/l image that was causing my problems.  If I understand the thread you mentioned having Vista on the machine gets around the problem, although I don't know how that would be fixed with a corrupted d/l like I had.  I didn't want to try the Vista approach since I didn't have a version of Vista to install and would rather not have that OS on my machine. 

I would suspect there are some cases with a valid Win7 install disk that doesn't have the drivers needed for a mobo (or chip set) and they have to be manually installed from a disk.  As I mentioned one of the things I did try was downloading the Win7 drivers for my mobo and putting them on a separate disk, inserting that disk and let it check for drivers.  A Win7 install may search all the HDs in the computer looking for drivers that will work (under the covers).  A lot of the Vista drivers will apparently work for Win 7 so that might explain your success.

Once I got a good complete download of the iso image, I haven't had any driver issues, and I am patiently adding software to the Win7 install.  I did install the latest Nvidia Win 7 drivers for my mobo after I did the Win7 install, but didn't have any problems with the drivers that originally installed as part of the of the Win 7 install disk.  Usually a MS install disk will get you up to the point where you can then update drivers.  That was the case for my Win7 install.  As an aside some of my devices in the XP install didn't get enabled due to missing drivers back when I first installed XP on my machines.  The driver disk from the mobo mfgr took care of that.

From what I've read I would much prefer XP over Vista.  Since Win 7 is basically based on Vista I have mixed emotions about Win 7.  I was really turned off by the DRM stuff they added in Vista.  I have some hardware that they have never written drivers for Vista, so I'll probably be doing a dual boot system and retain XP for quite a while.  I keep current image files of the Win XP Pro partition, since I'm not sure MS will continue to allow you to get the update files from them for a clean install of XP.  They have also made it very difficult to get a stand alone update package so you can archive them.  I suspect MS is putting out this trial version to avoid the disaster they had with Vista.  I'm not sure they did a trial RC version for general download for VIsta and I wasn't about to buy a version just to try it out, especiall with all the bad press.

Again I suspect that anyone who did the download with anything but IE will probably get corrupted iso files and that sure caused the problem I was seeing.  I added a post to the thread you mentioned suggesting only downloading using IE and it's download manager.  I also posted a link to this thread in that thread.

rcubed
    • Edited by rcubedcuber Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:07 AM added comment about putting comment and link in thread Bummed mentioned
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Same problem. Different  solution

Download iso
    Burn to disc
    copy files from disc onto usb flash drive
    install from usb - setup on new vista install

works

no driver errors

don't know why the CD devive errors occur - since the whole install program boots up fine from the dvd..
    but a USB install worked for me.. doing my third one now
    • Proposed as answer by Warez_Willy Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:30 PM
  • My daughter got Windows 7 Pro (released version) from her university. This problem caused me to spend 16 hours on labor day weekend to upgrade Vista home to Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit on her Dell Vostro 1400 - I had expected to be done within the hour. 

The problem turned out be bad DVDs. Finally succeeded by creating a bootable USB - followed the steps using diskpart.exe (Google) to make a 4GB USB key bootable and extracted the files using Wizip 12 (download, use Eval mode if don't have it) from the ISO. 

Some observations
    - If you do not regularly burn DVDs; a bad install DVD is very likely the problem. I had 3 laptops with DVD RW drives, but had never used any of them to burn a DVD. So using Office Depot and Imation media with ever slower write speed on each of them resulted in quite a collection - all with the same 'Missing CD/DVD' messge. 

- ACPI/ATA and other cable/controller solutions are red herrings that I should have been discounted early.  The HDD and DVD worked without any problems with Vista, so why would they conflict all of a sudden (without any BIOS change). I guess folks probably attribute solution to last thing tried whenever they use a 'good' DVD! 

- Early on spent many hours looking for x64 drivers for DVD drives, then doing firmware upgrades on the DVD drives. How install media errors result in 'missing CD/DVD driver' messge is a mystery only Microsoft knows, but is sure to send a lot of PC 'experts' on a wild goose hunt. 

Mercifully folks who would obtain a MS/OEM manufactured OS DVD would not have this problem. But it is surprising that the installer for such a sophisticated product representing millions of dollars and man hours does not do an integrity check on the install media/package before merrily proceeding and emitting misleading errors.

spm7
    aurora, IL

Monday, September 07, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I had problems with the downloads too. It was caused by not having enough space on my disk to extract the downloaded archive. The downloader needs enough space to have the downloaded archive and its extracted content on the disk - altought it deletes the downloaded archive after extracting.
    If you don't have enough space, the extracted ISO is just cropped to the size that fit on your drive. - At least it was something like this for me.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:17 AM
  • (Code
    Friday, November 05, 2010 1:00 PM
  • OK now is the truth. This is the solution.

I assume all of you is using USB drive to install.

When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back to DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual.

This problem happened to all new version of updated Windows 7 installer. I think, it is due to failure of Windows installer to remain its detection to the USB drive. It lost the connection, and became confused, don't know where to find the USB drive it used to read before.

When we re-insert the USB drive, Windows installer will detect the USB drive back, and continue like usual.

Good luck and cheers! TQ.
    • Proposed as answer by Klaufir Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:49 AM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:30 AM
  • This was a life saver just keep moving the USB key to different port finally went through.

Life Saver longest 3 hours of my life

OK now is the truth. This is the solution.

I assume all of you is using USB drive to install.

When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back to DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual.

This problem happened to all new version of updated Windows 7 installer. I think, it is due to failure of Windows installer to remain its detection to the USB drive. It lost the connection, and became confused, don't know where to find the USB drive it used to read before.

When we re-insert the USB drive, Windows installer will detect the USB drive back, and continue like usual.

Good luck and cheers! TQ.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I have the same problem but the work around by moving the USB memory stick to another USB port does not seem to work.  I am trying to install Windows 7 on a PC with an Asus ATX motherboard and Pentium 64 bit to a new solid state drive.  I have disconnected the CD/DVD drives.  When the Windows 7 install asks for the CD/DVD drivers, clicking cancel does not take me back to the install now screen as BLAMBLAM23 says, it takes me to a mainly blank window which I have to first exit (X), then confirm on the next window that I want to cancel the installation.  Maybe these extra steps are new to the latest Windows 7 install software, preventing the work around from working?

Any ideas?   By the way, I started the installation from a DVD but moved to the USB memory stick when I received the error message asking for drivers (and disconnected the DVD drive).

It would be nice if Microsoft were watching and fixed this problem that seems to have been around for several years.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:07 AM
  • ALSO keep in mind that you might be booting from a USB 3 port... That will work up until windows needs the installation media an no win USB 3 drivers are present... That would explain why it works to move to another (USB 2) port...

Cheers,

Mike

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:22 PM
  • I was getting the same CD DVD error when installing from the DVD.  I made a bootable USB with the ISO and  it seems to be working, so far.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:51 PM