none
MSWMM files crash Live Movie Maker - Error: 0x80070057

Question

• I have Movie Maker *.MSWMM Project files which are associated with and open with Windows Live Movie Maker  - Major problem they all ether crash Live Movie Maker or open blank.  How can I access. update or otherwise continue to use these files?

Error Message: Windows Live Movie Maker

Sorry, Movie Maker can't open this project file. The file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.

Sorry, Windows Live Movie Maker had to shut down unexpectedly. Please restart Windows Live Movie Maker, and then try again. (Error: 0x80070057)

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Grafis,

Thanks for your post.  The MSWMM file simply contains links to the source video(s) you worked with, the clips it generated, and the sequence of clips stored in the Workspace.  To resolve this issue browse for the original file and include it in the project file.

You can also refer the link for more details on this error http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7pictures/thread/d7eb6404-24c4-4969-bfdc-b0ee781ecefa

I hope this will resolve this issue.  You can post back if you still face some issues.

Thanks, M Anbu
    • Proposed as answer by M AnbuModerator Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:56 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:33 PM
  • The Project file will not open, therefore I cannot add the source video file. So I've lost all the work I've done over the years. If I need to tweak a video or create a new copy for someone I have to start from scratch and recreate all titles, edits and affects. 

Web services are great in the quest to compete but not at the cost of deep sixing support of millions of end users. I'm now searching for an alternative that's vested in my interests.

If anyone knows of a tool to convert the MSWMM files to a usable format, let me know!

• Proposed as answer by bobbymacd1978 Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hello,

i have the exact same problem.. i cant believe i will lose ALL the work and projects i have done, simply because MS devided that Movie Maker Live would not be compatible with its predecessor...
    have you found any solution to that problem yet?

any help is appreciated.. thank you...
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Grafis -- I had the same issue after fromgrading from Vista to Win 7.  After much research, it's clear that MSWMM files creates in Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista) ARE NOT compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker found in Windows 7.  (Why the MSFT engineers on this page didn't tell us that straight up, who knows?)

In any case, your work isn't lost - you need to unstall Windows Live Movie Maker and reinstall Movie Maker 6.0.  You can follow the the instructions below.  I did this and it worked.  The only issue is that you can't publish video directly to a Movide Maker DVD - you'll have to save to a file first and then import into DVD maker

1. Download and install this file http://www.mediafire.com/?ywqmnnnmywm it will install Windows Movie Maker from Vista on Windows 7 But it will not have HD options for publishing movies.

2. To get HD options, download this file http://www.mediafire.com/?xdnjwlwzqcy and extract it. Copy the extracted folder "Profiles" to this directory C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\ OR C:\Program Files (x86)\Movie Maker\Shared\ if you have Windows 7 x64

Final result should look like this C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles for Windows7 x86 OR C:\Program Files (x86)\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles for Windows7 x64 with 4 files inside "Profiles".

3. Done. now you can run the program from your start menu and have the same Windows Movie Maker you had in vista with all HD publishing options.

• Proposed as answer by David Navas Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I tried your fix to this problem bobbymacd1978 and every thing worked except for the profiles i cant get movie maker to read them and i restarted my computer and everything im running Windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit do you have any ideas of how to fix this oh and where did u get that install for windows movie maker 6.0 i couldn't find it any where.
     Users Medals
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Grafis -- I had the same issue after fromgrading from Vista to Win 7.  After much research, it's clear that MSWMM files creates in Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista) ARE NOT compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker found in Windows 7.  (Why the MSFT engineers on this page didn't tell us that straight up, who knows?)

I had the same issue as well.  I'm not sure if it's a 32bit/64bit incompatibility in their file-format, or a Live vs. not-Live compatibility issue.  However, your download worked for me, and I'm very grateful for it.  Raspberries to Microsoft....

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi M Anbu and Vivian Xing. You are both MS staff and have not provided any useful references to solve the problem - which is simply that Live Movie Maker is not compatible with MSWMM format.

The link you provide above sends people off to the same problem without a solution. bobbymacd1978 - who does not work for MS - did come with a solution that mostly worked.

It still does not allow me to publish video HD.

Cheers

Hans 

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:28 AM

In any case, your work isn't lost - you need to unstall Windows Live Movie Maker and reinstall Movie Maker 6.0.  You can follow the the instructions below.  I did this and it worked.  The only issue is that you can't publish video directly to a Movide Maker DVD - you'll have to save to a file first and then import into DVD maker

1. Download and install this file http://www.mediafire.com/?ywqmnnnmywm it will install Windows Movie Maker from Vista on Windows 7 But it will not have HD options for publishing movies.

2. To get HD options, download this file http://www.mediafire.com/?xdnjwlwzqcy and extract it. Copy the extracted folder "Profiles" to this directory C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\ OR C:\Program Files (x86)\Movie Maker\Shared\ if you have Windows 7 x64

Final result should look like this C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles for Windows7 x86 OR C:\Program Files (x86)\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles for Windows7 x64 with 4 files inside "Profiles".

3. Done. now you can run the program from your start menu and have the same Windows Movie Maker you had in vista with all HD publishing options.

I still do not have the HD publishing options as I had before...all the rest works...
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Hi Infamous! I just found the solution to the issue we both experienced, not being able to publish in HD because Movie Maker 6 does not read the profiles: found this here. So you can publish in HD - you just have to change your navigation to get there. They no longer show up in Windows 7 under tasks. Just go to File>>Publish Movie>>etc See below comment from PapaJohn in a discussion on brighthub. See below bold which fixed it for me.
     <<START PAPAJOHN POST>>
    Publishing in HD
    I've seen posts from others about not seeing the HD profiles. I don't know why, but here's a couple comments.

Added custom profiles show up in the list of publishing options for MM6 when you access it via the main menu > File > Publish Movie path, but may not show up if you go to the same place via Tasks > Publish to... maybe this is effecting MM6 in Windows 7 also.

If the HD profiles don't show up and/or you can't find them to add, you can use custom profiles that do the same thing in terms of quality. See my website's (www.papajohn.org) Save Movies > Custom WMV Profiles page for info about creating custom profiles.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/25282/comments.aspx?cp=5#ixzz0h6gkjlT4

<<END PAPAJOHN POST>>

Thanks Papajohn and thanks bobbymacd1978!!!
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:12 AM