none
How can I get a full-screen view in Windows Virtual PC?

Question

• I'm wondering how to get a full-screen view in Windows Virtual PC. When I click on the full screen button, it just snaps to the upper-left corner of the screen, but it doesn't fill the screen.

Here are the virtual machines that I have, and that I would like to have a full-screen view with: Windows 95, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows ME, and Ubuntu 9.10.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Ok, I should have been clearer.  
    VPC2007 will run on Windows7, but that's not the main idea here :)

What you want to do is get the VPC2007 additions, you can get them from my site (www.essjae.com) , and install them in WinME and Win2K.  While these are more limited than the Integration Components and you don't get the seamless mode, autopublish, etc, you DO get mouse integration and dynamic screen resizing.
    For Win95, this won't run under VPC with hardware virtualization enabled, in VPC2007, this was a granular setting and could be enabled/disabled per VM.  With Windows VPC, you can't do this.  You can, however, run Win98 under Windows VPC, everything you need, except the CD and license is at my website.

For Ubuntu, if you want full-screen, you're going to have to go with VM software that has VM Additions for Linux, which include VMWare Player and VirtualBox (both free), or VM Ware Workstation and Parallels Virtual Desktop 4 (paid products)
    • Marked as answer by Autobot1225 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:02 AM
  • I got VirtualBox and it seems to be working well for the most part. The full screen and seamless mode work on W2K and Ubuntu, but Windows 95 and ME don't work well on it. I have W2K, WME, and W95 working on WVPC, so over all I can access the operating systems that I have.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:01 PM

All replies

• Try left mouse clicking, holding the button, on the Window and drag it to the top of the screen. This should maximize the Windows Virtual PC window and make if appear on the full screen, just like a full screen RDP session.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:38 PM
  • The window still snapped to the corner of the screen when I did that, it didn't fill the screen.

Any other suggestions?

Monday, November 16, 2009 7:55 PM
  • For Windows 2000 and Windows ME, you need to have the VPC2007 Additions installed then from the "Action" Menu on the top of the VM, select "Full Screen".
    Win95 won't work in Windows VPC.

For Ubuntu, the only way this will work is for you to manually set the resolution to a resolution near your screen size.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Virtual PC 2007 isn't compatable with my OS (Windows 7 Home Premium). Is there still a way to fill the screen in Windows Virtual PC?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Ok, I should have been clearer.  
    VPC2007 will run on Windows7, but that's not the main idea here :)

What you want to do is get the VPC2007 additions, you can get them from my site (www.essjae.com) , and install them in WinME and Win2K.  While these are more limited than the Integration Components and you don't get the seamless mode, autopublish, etc, you DO get mouse integration and dynamic screen resizing.
    For Win95, this won't run under VPC with hardware virtualization enabled, in VPC2007, this was a granular setting and could be enabled/disabled per VM.  With Windows VPC, you can't do this.  You can, however, run Win98 under Windows VPC, everything you need, except the CD and license is at my website.

For Ubuntu, if you want full-screen, you're going to have to go with VM software that has VM Additions for Linux, which include VMWare Player and VirtualBox (both free), or VM Ware Workstation and Parallels Virtual Desktop 4 (paid products)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:02 AM
  • I got VirtualBox and it seems to be working well for the most part. The full screen and seamless mode work on W2K and Ubuntu, but Windows 95 and ME don't work well on it. I have W2K, WME, and W95 working on WVPC, so over all I can access the operating systems that I have.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Just fire up the VM, minimize it, and do a Remote Desktop Connection to that VM from your pc.  You will get full screen then.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Just fire up the VM, minimize it, and do a Remote Desktop Connection to that VM from your pc.  You will get full screen then.

It seems the only option to get things done regarding  the full screen mode!
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Click on Tools > Install integration features when the Guest OS is up running in the Virtual machine. This will install the required Virtual PC features. After that, reboot the guest OS and then your maximize button will take you to full screen.

Hope this helped.

• Edited by Sherbaz.com Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:44 PM Typo
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:43 PM