Error 0x80070037 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm having issues with transferring large amounts of data from my WD Elements 1.5 TB external hard drive to my internal NTFS formatted SATA hard drive. I keep getting the following error message: 0x80070037. A quick google search about the error generated a thread that discussed that "power from the motherboard may not be ample enough to keep the external drive powered", thus the failure in the transfer of the data. But this external drive has it's own AC power supply, so I'm confused. Essentially the external hard drive keeps dying no matter which USB port (front & back ports) I plug it into. It works fine in three other household PC's.

I'm not sure what to do,  but thought I'd start here and see if any of you Microsoft experts could comment on this issue.

What info do you need to help me diagnose this issue?

Any reply is appreciated.

Thanks

Note: Another person experienced this problem after installing some Windows updates. Is it possible that the updates are causing this issue? I just installed a large number of updates with this PC.

• Edited by help.me.msft Monday, August 22, 2011 10:30 PM more detailed info
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

0x80070037:The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

A power supply issue may be a cause. But also many issue may cause this problem.

Since it works fine in other computer, I suggest that you may check the USB port. Please try to plug this device into the USB port which in the back panel.

Also please collect the hardware installation log file in the path of %WINDIR%\Inf\Setupapi*.log, upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here. Then we can find some information from this log.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:17 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:00 PM
  • I don't think it's likely that it's caused by an update. 

First thing I would want to see is your usb drivers and versions.  At a command prompt, type this:

dir C:\windows\system32\drivers\usb*

And show me the output :)

Power failure is potentially the problem, but your issue is essentially that your device is disappearing during the transfer for some reason.  Something that might help is if you open device manager (devmgmt.msc) and change the view to by connection (View -> Devices by Connection).  Look around until you find your external hard drive, and just watch this tree during the transfer.  When it fails, whatever the highest thing up the tree that goes away is, is probably the culprit. 

Also, occasionally the motherboard is bad and has issues with big transfers.  I know that on my desktop at home, if I use the front ports for a big transfer, it'll fail.  You might just be unlucky and a lot of them have the same issue.  You might want to literally try every USB port and see if some work - and remember which they are.  USB ports are hooked up in pairs, so usually you'll notice that there are always two next two each other.  There is usually no difference between the two ports in the pair.  So when you're trying them all, you can just test one of the two in a pair (might save you some time :) )

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

0x80070037:The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

A power supply issue may be a cause. But also many issue may cause this problem.

Since it works fine in other computer, I suggest that you may check the USB port. Please try to plug this device into the USB port which in the back panel.

Also please collect the hardware installation log file in the path of %WINDIR%\Inf\Setupapi*.log, upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here. Then we can find some information from this log.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:00 PM
  • I don't think it's likely that it's caused by an update. 

First thing I would want to see is your usb drivers and versions.  At a command prompt, type this:

dir C:\windows\system32\drivers\usb*

And show me the output :)

Power failure is potentially the problem, but your issue is essentially that your device is disappearing during the transfer for some reason.  Something that might help is if you open device manager (devmgmt.msc) and change the view to by connection (View -> Devices by Connection).  Look around until you find your external hard drive, and just watch this tree during the transfer.  When it fails, whatever the highest thing up the tree that goes away is, is probably the culprit. 

Also, occasionally the motherboard is bad and has issues with big transfers.  I know that on my desktop at home, if I use the front ports for a big transfer, it'll fail.  You might just be unlucky and a lot of them have the same issue.  You might want to literally try every USB port and see if some work - and remember which they are.  USB ports are hooked up in pairs, so usually you'll notice that there are always two next two each other.  There is usually no difference between the two ports in the pair.  So when you're trying them all, you can just test one of the two in a pair (might save you some time :) )

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Did you ever get this answered?  I am facing exactly the same issue with a Lacie Quadra v3 external drive (also with its own AC power source), and Windows 7 64bit.

This is on a fresh install of windows on a laptop where I had to install device drivers one-by-one, so I am wondering if I did all the USB device drivers install correctly... But I have triple checked and have tried re-installing them all a dozen times... Nothing helps.

Any thoughts out there?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Necro Post !

Please note that this issue can also be caused by cheap poor quality cables. I have noticed this working on peoples computers using them to backup. The poor cables are unable to maintain the correct signals between the computer and HD causing this annoying problem. this has fixed 3 occurrences to date. hope it helps

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Have the same problem mate and it's solved.

Had the usb cable plugged into the usb 3.0 port when it's usb 2.0 the cable can't handle to speeds of usb 3.0

Monday, December 7, 2015 7:43 PM
  • In addition to checking the power and cable compatibility, don't forget BIOS!

I had a dell laptop which needed a BIOS upgrade to achieve full USB 3.0 compatibility. And while you are at it, check to make sure that there isn't an explicit 'enabled' setting in your BIOS that prevents full USB 3.0 from being achieved.

In my particular case, I found the BIOS setting, enabled the ports, but didn't consider that my 3-year-old version of the Dell BIOS wasn't up to the task, and within a few seconds of trying to do any reasonably-sized file operation (copying 10 GB, for example), it would exit with the 0x80070037.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:59 PM
  • Greetings future people.

Although this is an old thread I feel I have to add that I have had my external hard drive plugged into my laptop with no problems, but have now fitted a powered USB hub. This is USB 2 and the laptop is USB2. I now have this error code when moving 20 MP3 files onto the drive.

I plugged the drive into the laptop USB and the hub into the last remaining USB.

Maybe its a Win 7 thing.

Simon Cumbria.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:30 AM
  • it was cable! kindly replace the cable and it will solve  the problem... it happens due to twisting of cables.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:21 AM
  • I solved the problem simply by using another one of my computer's USB port.
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 5:05 PM